Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#13628 - 09/20/09 08:22 AM about trappers courses
David Underwood Offline

Loc: Peachland NC
I'd like to know what you think.
I am sure as I can be that mandatory
courses will finish off trapping in
the long run. First time license
sales have dropped in every state
I know of where they have it.
Hunter safety requirements have had
the same effect. For kids with school
or college loads, it is tough getting
into a class here. One of our wildlife
commissioners told me that not one
single state had numbers to even
suggest hunter safety classes had any
effect on accidents afield. But all
states requiring the have seen a drop in
license sales.
And he is worried the same will happen
to new trappers. Hmmm. I agree.

#13629 - 09/20/09 09:05 AM Re: about trappers courses
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I disagree. You cannot tie dropping participation to the requirement of a basic course. All consumptive user activities are seeing this. A reflection of society. Ohio put there's on-line a few years back. I took it to see how much time it would take. About two hours. If you can't take two hours of your time to learn the basics, probably shouldn't be trapping anyhow.

#13630 - 09/20/09 09:11 AM Re: about trappers courses
barkspud Offline

Loc: downeast maine
Well I'll take a stab at it. I kind of agree with you. Trapper coarses are tough to find and get in. They usually last 2 days and you have to meet their schedule. Its hard to take 2 days of from work to take it. There surlly a beter way just don't know what that would be. More chances to get coarse would help a lot. Only one coarse within 60 miles of me a year. Two weeks before season. We need some sort of eduactation and helps ween out ones that shouldn't ever have a licsence. In the coarse I took ther was about 15 people the first night not counting people that had coarse already. There was three instructors, a game warden and man from state to help with coarse. Very well educated trappers and loved the class learned a lot. There was a guy there that took up a lot of time that already had a license. He was just trying to find ways to get around laws and wasting time for us there to learned. Also a couple of new guys that was the same way. These should not have trapping rights. The next week it was just instructors and students. Mostly young ladies wich is nice to see women in it. I think women are good for the future of trapping. They bring a hole different side of things to the table. The guys that were trying to get around things were gone. Before it was done they explained that what those three were doing. Was a perfect example of the bad name trappers get labled with. Also the one licensed shouldn't be. So in all if they were just allowed to purchase a license they would be in field. The amount of people that thougt they were trappers woud be crazy. It would be the end of trapping. Just my thoughts only been trapping two years. Been around it my whole life.

#13631 - 09/20/09 09:27 AM Re: about trappers courses
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
What Ric said.

The course here was two entire week-ends with a practical and theoritcal exam.

Now it's an internet course with only a theory exam.

#13632 - 09/20/09 11:24 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Frankly, I don't see how we can sell responsible consumption without at least some elementary course of instruction. The condition being sociological as Ric said.

However, we need some liberalized forms of self instruction so as not to place constraints on those wanting or needing the course. Home study in Ohio is an example of that.

There should indeed be concern when these required courses are not readily available. Take this radical hysteria: Suppose non-consumptives got hold on the DNR. They could effectively cut recruitment to zero by scheduling one course, at the state capital, on Christmas Day.

I don't foresee that. But I'm pretty sure we are getting beyond the days when we can turn folks loose with no instruction whatsoever.

Hal

#13633 - 09/20/09 01:37 PM Re: about trappers courses
David Underwood Offline

Should it then be considered an
appeasment to those who would
stop us, much the same as the
BMP study was. Or is there a
practicle purpose to it. In this
state, hunter safety classes are
few, not well advertised nor
promoted. I forsee trapping classes
to be much the same. I know at
least two responsible twenty some
year olds, college educated, who
would love to have hunting licenses.
Schedules thus far have not
permitted it.

#13634 - 09/20/09 03:53 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ric Offline

No it's not appeasement. It is self preservation.

As for the two twenty years old's. They must not want it bad enough. Used to be if you wanted something you would go out and make it happen. Now if it's inconvenient or heaven forbid may take some work or initiative it is someone else's fault why they can't get it done.

#13635 - 09/20/09 04:05 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
David, most of the hunter's ed classes here are held by the local game warden. You let him know you want to take hunter's ed and when he gets enough confirmed students, he has a class. Here in NC its a 3 day class, normally done on weeknights. Some places will do it in one Saturday. If they haven't gotten into one they're either not looking in the right place or don't want to bad enough.

Yes, I think they ought to be better promoted, but they are there. Also, if those 20 somethings are from another state and took a hunter's ed class there, chances are that NC recognizes it (unless it was a 1 or 2 hour sham class that some states have). As long as it was equal hours of instruction, and meets at least the same requirements ours does, then NC will recognize it. Also, if they have a hunting license from another state, they are exempt from the hunter's ed requirement.

I am a firm supporter of hunter's ed classes, and also trapper's ed classes. The only problem with trapper's ed classes is that they're far less accessible down here (I had to drive 2 hours one way for mine), but we're working on fixing that.

I do not agree with making it a requirement until a system is in place where a person only has to make reasonable effort to attend one, but to say requiring the classes is even part of the cause for the decline in license sales is illogical. Remember, a commissioner is a political appointee, and our commissioners have not always made the best decisions. They have outright defied the biologists on several occasions for political gain.

If anything the classes have helped educate our own ranks and prevented who knows how many possible PR disasters. If we do anything with the Hunter's and Trapper's ed classes, we need to improve their availability. Remember, just cuz your dad taught you good common sense, and just cuz my dad taught me good common sense, that doesn't mean everybody's dad did. I'll step off my soapbox now.

Sorry, one more thing. At least when I took my hunter's safety course down here, only one graduate of the program had been involve in a serious accident, and he had been shot by a non-graduate who had not been following the procedures taught. Granted, that was 17 years ago, and I don't know the current statistics, but I believe that should stand for something.

#13636 - 09/21/09 08:49 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

"Should it then be considered an appeasment to those who would stop us..."

As long as consumptive use of wildlife remains a privilege granted to us by society at large, we will bear the burden for making them comfortable in allowing us to do it. Defiance will win you absolutely no points.

And from a personal standpoint, I believe that inductees who have at least rudimentary training, cause considerably less negative incidents than do untrained persons.

If your state does not provide for ready access to education classes, then that is a problem to be addressed -- not the classes themselves.

Hal

#13637 - 09/21/09 11:13 AM Re: about trappers courses
Stone Knife Offline

Loc: new york
I just took my mandatory course on Sat. It was the only one available in the county that I live in, there were others but they would have been a considerable distance to travel. So in order to get a course one will have to put out a little effort to get one were I live, I feel that they are worth while and do you really want someone setting traps if they are too lazy to go get their trappers course.

#13638 - 09/21/09 12:07 PM Re: about trappers courses
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
Stoneknife,
I was wondering how many individuals attended your class?

#13639 - 09/21/09 03:49 PM Re: about trappers courses
Stone Knife Offline

Loc: new york
I'm going to say 20, half were under the age of 16. I was kind of surprised that there weren't any woman there.

#13640 - 09/22/09 04:48 AM Re: about trappers courses
barkspud Offline

Loc: downeast maine
Pearidgetrapper Do you still have the be safe stickers that are manditory on your guns.I hunted your state a lot and thought that was different. That was 20 years ago when I was in military. I think the hunters saftey coarse was just getting going.I thought that was crazy putting stickers on your gun to prevent accidents. I didn't see how a person could mistake a nother person as a turkey. There was 18 hunting accidents over that two week season. I hated the thought of a hunter safty course. I thought it was stupid and was glad I was military and didn't need it. After I see how many people were shot turkey hunting. I changed my mind take two there small. I have never needed one but set through the archery and gun with my wife.

#13641 - 09/22/09 07:48 AM Re: about trappers courses
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
I have taken the hunter safty and trapper safty courses here in Maine. Back in the early eightys I was a hunter safty instructor. Fellow trappers I wish I had all the thank yous in a bag from the parrents and adult classmates that took this course . I wouldn't be able to lift it. I don't know what your states have for a course for trapping but here in Maine we have a mandatory 10 hrs. You can go to Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and look up the cryterria.
It is well put together covering laws, does and don'ts, how to do PR work with land owners and most of all SAFTY. How safe can one be? As a seasoned trapper I still get caught once in a while not just in steel eathir. Thin ice, high water, nasty animals all pose a threat. To the novice that has not the education be whear. Experts put there arm in 330s, WHY?
The reason I became a safty instructor was because there were not enough. Why cant this be the same where there are not enough trapper safty courses. Dont complain step up and lead the way. Then sit back and say I Made A Differance.
littleguns

#13642 - 09/22/09 08:44 AM Re: about trappers courses
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
Barkspud, my turkey gun still has the orange sticker on it. It is the run and gun program of many turkey hunters that create so many accidents and fatalites. If an orange sticker will save me, then I have no problem leaving it on.

#13643 - 09/22/09 09:21 AM Re: about trappers courses
Rye Offline

Loc: Havelock, NC
I think they are a good thing, in a time when mentoring has pretty much dissolved, these programs all those with no mentor to find the education they need to begin their journey.

As for the course being the death of trapping; I would say that embracing the subject rather than fearing it is the way to go. By working to produce more classes, and making them more readily available you can increase the numbers qualified by them.

#13644 - 09/23/09 11:48 AM Re: about trappers courses
David Underwood Offline

No mentoring? Maybe I don't
understand the definition.
When I started trapping nobody
would tell you anything. Now
there is more info available in
thirty minutes than I was exposed
to in my first ten years. A
young person in NC can find a
man to follow into the woods
on any given day.

#13645 - 09/23/09 12:02 PM Re: about trappers courses
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Personally, I believe mandatory trapper training a must for first time trappers, education is the key in this politically correct world today.

I also believe its the state associations responsibility to promote this education in a manner the public as a whole has access to it.

Not to pick on you David , a good example would be the trapper ed class that was held on July 11 th this past summer, the only people who knew about it where the folks on the NCTA website, the general membership of the state association didnt know about it, as well as the farmers kids in Alamance county in which it was held.

As for your question, I believe trapping license sales would increase w/ mandatory trapper trainng

#13646 - 09/23/09 12:39 PM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

Mentoring is certainly a very good way of introducing young folks to the outdoors. I defer to your knowledge of mentors in NC, but in most parts of the country, they are just not available. We really don't want a kid to be excluded from trapping because they can't find a mentor.

In Ohio, the Ohio State Trappers Association holds about a half a dozen "workshops" around the state, just before trapping season. The primary target is muskrats and we utilize DNR wetlands for this course. You set traps one day, and bring them in the next. Granted that's not mentoring, but at least they get to have two trips over the line with a couple of experienced trapper/instructors, provided by OSTA.

Mandatory trapper education courses generally set a base level for certification. They are, nor should they, so difficult that a younger person, or any person for that matter, of average intelligence cannot pass the course.

You are right about the difference between our generation, and this one. In a few hours on the internet, you can shorten your learning curve by about five years or so. You can become quite effectively self-educated these days. And nobody's really going to get very far if they don't educate themselves beyond the basics they got in Trapper Ed class.

We have the best educated trappers in the history of this endeavor. And there's no reason not to share some insight to beginning trappers through a trapper education course. As long as the course is readily available, I'm not opposed to it.

Hal

#13647 - 09/23/09 07:46 PM Re: about trappers courses
David Underwood Offline

Well I'm not about to argue the point.
I am very much interested in the view
points of others. This is the only site
I posted this on, and for good reason.
I don't care for pages of BS, just
good honest opinions.
As far as our own courses here in NC,
we have a good program. It was promoted
well. The man in charge has really made
some improvements in the program.
Constructive suggestions should be
directed to Todd Menke.

#13648 - 09/24/09 12:40 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ldsoldier Offline

Todd has done very good job. That being said, there's always room for improvement. Had it not been for the NCTA website, I would not have known about the one that I took. Part of the problem is that we're just not in the public eye. This can be good and bad, depending on the topic.

I'll be taking a group of Boy Scouts on a beaver trapping camp out in December to cap off working on the Wildlife Management merit badge in November. The other Assistant Scoutmaster (we have 2, of which I am one) told me at our weekly meeting last night that he didn't know that anybody still trapped. I think the adults are looking forward to it as much as the kids, if for no other reason than just to see what it's all about.

We have to keep RESPONSIBLE trapping in the public eye. This generates more interest, which the policy makers in the wildlife agencies pay attention to. A lot of it boils down to simple supply and demand. There's a lot more hunter safety courses here because there's a lot higher demand for them. If trappers are not vocal, they assume there's no demand for trapping related courses or policies. That is part of the reason many of our trapping laws are screwed up here in NC (I am by no means saying its the only reason, but it is a contributing factor).

The more people that you introduce to it, the more people that will have a favorable opinion, and the more that will join the ranks. The more voices, the louder they are. The loudest of the squeaky wheels gets the grease. Sorry if I've gone off topic a little, but that's just my observations and opinions.

(edited by ldsoldier for grammar and spelling)

#13649 - 09/25/09 08:14 AM Re: about trappers courses
Rye Offline

Loc: Havelock, NC
If you are truly after the opinions about the course, then yes, it should be mandatory. Another idea would to be require each district officer for the NCTA to conduct one course on it every six months, or at least once a year. It is difficult enough for a young person to break into this past time, esp when their parents haven't done it or may not have an interest. Then, to ask the parent to drive the kid 3/4th of the way across the state for a class that is only offered once a year in one location is a bit difficult.

(Edit: Defamatory bull*hit deleted. Rye, you haven't even reached member status here. One more incident like this, and you won't. -- Hal)

#13650 - 09/25/09 08:51 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

Mr. Underwood said: "This is the only site I posted this on, and for good reason.
I don't care for pages of BS, just good honest opinions."

And we intend to fulfill his expectations. If you have an opinion, or have a constructive criticism on this topic, we encourage your response. If you intend to use this topic, or these boards, to carry on some sort petty infighting, or foster some personal agenda, simply email me and I'll pull your membership right now.

I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS!

You who intend to be counterproductive are welcome to carry your shameful backbiting, squabbling, and whatever other little hissy fit, pissing match you have going on somewhere else. There are places where that kind of non-productive bull*hit is accepted and enjoyed. Not here!

And now I fully understand why Mr. Underwood posted this here and not somewhere else.

Hal

#13651 - 09/25/09 10:30 AM Re: about trappers courses
Ric Offline

I just went at this from a different direction. Being a aspiring trapper in Wilmington. I went in search of the course I needed to get my license. Went to the NCWRC home page and found trappers education listed. Followed the links(very easy to do) and whoops. 1 course between now and 10-24-09. One location Madison Co. That is about as far west as you can get and still be in N.C. probably about a 6 hr drive. It is a two day class and you must attend both days.
I'm all for people needing to put a bit of effort into obtaining a license but what the state is asking them to do in this situation is going to effect recruitment very negatively.
Before assuming that the classes themselves are the problem take a much closer look how they are being offered.

#13652 - 09/25/09 11:40 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

Thank you Ric.

Now we have identified a problem. Sure took a long time to get there. I said from the onset, availability is the key.

Maybe this can be fixed. But first...

We are here to fix a problem -- we are not here to fix blame. If you don't understand that, then you probably don't have the wisdom to participate in this discussion. One of the advantages of this format is that we can, and will, enforce civil debate. If you can't separate issues from individuals, please do not contribute.

Now edify me:

Is two days actually required, or is this just an exceptionally long course?

What is required to become an instructor?

Is there any provision at all for home study?

Hal

#13653 - 09/25/09 11:43 AM Re: about trappers courses
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
That is one of the reasons for the internet course Quebec offers. You do the course when you want and at the speed you want. All materials are sent to you.

The cost is steep. It was $160 a few years ago. You must pass an examination. The exam schedule is not perfect but if you don't mind driving you have access to one every few months.

#13654 - 09/25/09 11:46 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

If we charged $160 for a trapper ed course, that would effective put an end to recruitment here.

Hal

#13655 - 09/25/09 09:44 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ldsoldier Offline

A large part of the problem here is the lack of information. First off, to be clear, NC doesn't require trapper's ed, at least not yet. The program that Ric found is being held in conjunction with the Mountain Rendezvous, which is put on by the NCTA. That is part of the reason that it's two days. Again, lack of information. This is one of our biggest problems. There is usually one basic trappers ed class a year here in NC. Its generally held in Durham, which is right next to Raleigh for those that don't know the area.

The fellows in the mountains are getting their own cuz THEY put it together. THEY asked the NCWRC what they had to do, and then did it. If we did the same thing on the coast, we'd have one on the coast. The answer to our problem is that more of us have to get involved. While it may be difficult, its that simple. The fellows in the mountains didn't like having to drive clear to Raleigh, so they made one happen closer to them.

The reason less people are coming into outdoor sports is because less people are brought up outdoors. Less youth know anything about it. The answer is that more of us that are already in it need to be proactive in bringing youth in, and teaching them ethical practices. If you want more classes, then lets put it together. We'll talk to David Denton (who is in charge of the hunter/trapper education classes) and get it organized. While its admittedly easier said than done, its that simple.

Remember, the more that a responsible organization is willing to take upon itself, the more the government entity that is over it is willing to work with it. The NCTA has a very good relationship with the NCWRC. We take initiative, police our own, and are reasonable in our requests. Remember, we'll get further being proactive than reactive.

(edit: 9/26/09 by ldsoldier, sorry, a line of thought was lost between my brain and fingers)

#13656 - 09/26/09 10:47 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

I can only describe the experience we had in Ohio. I can't remember the specific dates, and I'm too lazy to look them up, but we've had Trappers Ed here in Ohio for about 30 years now. Originally, OSTA was primary in providing instructors. And if I'm not mistaken, it was mandatory for the conservation officer in each county to offere a course, if there was none otherwise available. I don't remember half of this because I was "grand fathered" in and not required to take the test. I didn't take the test myself until I wanted to become certified as an instructor. I also had to take a one day sit down course with DOW personnel.

Courses were a one-day event. I believe the minimum technical requirement was only three hours. You'd get the test materials, schedule a course, and see who showed up. a lot of times it was only one or two kids.

Later on, when the "child molester" panic swept the country, instructors were no longer allowed to give courses at their homes, and it was required that two instructors be present at all times with the students. Now, we needed two instructors per course and not one.

Fast forward: About ten years ago, we went to home study. Now, there is no need "schedule" anything. Get the course at your leisure. I'm not sure if anybody is even offering to serve up the trapper ed course in a classroom setting. We (OSTA) replaced that with the workshops I mentioned above. The workshops are not mandatory, but like I said, they can provide some hands on experience for raw beginners.

What LD said about "proactive" may be wise in this case. I don't see how you can dodge the issue in this day and age. Has a home study course been given any consideration?

Hal

#13657 - 09/26/09 06:46 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ldsoldier Offline

I spoke with our education coordinator at the convention today and mentioned some of concerns that have been brought up. He is going to get some things on the NCWRC page clarified. Also, our trapper's ed course covers 8 hours of instruction.

#13658 - 09/27/09 04:06 PM Re: about trappers courses
David Underwood Offline

Wow! Been some discussion while I
was at a convention! Good.
NC currently does NOT require a
course. I expect they will in time.
When it DOES become mandatory, the
state employees will be responsible
for teaching and administrating the
course. No state can mandate that a
trapping association do it without
compensation.
That said, NCTA most likely will want
to remain in some way involved. At least
I would think so.
Thanks for your opinions and input.
That is exactly what I wanted.

#13659 - 09/28/09 06:28 AM Re: about trappers courses
Ric Offline

David Try looking at things from a different perspective.

1) You are concerned about recruitment numbers because of required courses that you think are inevitable.

2)You seem willing to let The DNR be responsible for providing them unless they compensate whoever else would conduct them.

Budgets are tight everywhere and I doubt if trapper education has a very high priority.

Would it not be better for your association to take a proactive stance and approach the DNR with a plan for providing the instruction? Would not the goals of the NCTA have a better chance of being fulfilled this way?

I just assuming but I suspect that one of the purposes of the NCTA is to protect and ensure that the trapping privileges in NC are maintained.

#13660 - 09/28/09 09:50 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

"No state can mandate that a trapping association do it without compensation."

I don't see how any state could compel a private organization like a trappers' association to conduct these courses -- regardless of compensation. Trappers' associations are not publicly founded or funded.

The Ohio State Trappers Association members who participated (and continue to participate) in these trapper education projects, neither asked for nor received compensation for their efforts. It is a volunteer program. It is a proactive program.

If you truly see the inevitability of mandatory trapper education, then it would greatly behoove the North Carolina Trappers Association to some way or another become involved in the promulgation of the program. I quote you from an earlier post: "A young person in NC can find a man to follow into the woods on any given day." Am I to believe that this same cadre of persons would not be willing to volunteer their time for a trapper education?

I am still slightly confused here. This voluntary "trapper ed" course that is being conducted currently -- is this the model for a future mandatory course? Again, I would like to point out the home study course we offer in Ohio. That is, in my opinion, the best route to follow.

It is growing apparent to me that if the trappers of North Carolina, and especially those of the NCTA, do not take a proactive approach to this issue, they will end up having something crammed down their throats.

frown -- Hal

#13661 - 09/28/09 10:20 AM Re: about trappers courses
David Underwood Offline

Quite the contrary, Hal. NCTA wrote the text
book years ago, and developed the program.
We have offered the course for several years.
As I said, I'm sure NCTA would want to remain
involved. Online or mail order, or hands on
as it is now. Guys from east to west are doing
the courses now. The same group of volunteers
have gotten certified and conduct hunter
safety classes too. Not a matter of willingness.
NC is 503 miles long, 100 counties. Might
require a lot of participants if it were ever
mandatory.

#13662 - 09/28/09 10:33 AM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Offline

My god! Why is it so gol-darn hard to get the whole freakin' story here???!!!!

-- Hal

#13663 - 09/28/09 12:42 PM Re: about trappers courses
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Call me sometime Hal, we can talk.....

#13664 - 09/28/09 02:40 PM Re: about trappers courses
David Underwood Offline

Wasn';t trying to tell a story.
Just interested in what yall think.
I type slow, and not very well.

#27344 - 01/08/20 10:17 AM Re: about trappers courses [Re: David Underwood]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.