Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#13648 - 09/24/09 05:40 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Todd has done very good job. That being said, there's always room for improvement. Had it not been for the NCTA website, I would not have known about the one that I took. Part of the problem is that we're just not in the public eye. This can be good and bad, depending on the topic.

I'll be taking a group of Boy Scouts on a beaver trapping camp out in December to cap off working on the Wildlife Management merit badge in November. The other Assistant Scoutmaster (we have 2, of which I am one) told me at our weekly meeting last night that he didn't know that anybody still trapped. I think the adults are looking forward to it as much as the kids, if for no other reason than just to see what it's all about.

We have to keep RESPONSIBLE trapping in the public eye. This generates more interest, which the policy makers in the wildlife agencies pay attention to. A lot of it boils down to simple supply and demand. There's a lot more hunter safety courses here because there's a lot higher demand for them. If trappers are not vocal, they assume there's no demand for trapping related courses or policies. That is part of the reason many of our trapping laws are screwed up here in NC (I am by no means saying its the only reason, but it is a contributing factor).

The more people that you introduce to it, the more people that will have a favorable opinion, and the more that will join the ranks. The more voices, the louder they are. The loudest of the squeaky wheels gets the grease. Sorry if I've gone off topic a little, but that's just my observations and opinions.

(edited by ldsoldier for grammar and spelling)

#13649 - 09/25/09 01:14 PM Re: about trappers courses
Rye Offline

Loc: Havelock, NC
If you are truly after the opinions about the course, then yes, it should be mandatory. Another idea would to be require each district officer for the NCTA to conduct one course on it every six months, or at least once a year. It is difficult enough for a young person to break into this past time, esp when their parents haven't done it or may not have an interest. Then, to ask the parent to drive the kid 3/4th of the way across the state for a class that is only offered once a year in one location is a bit difficult.

(Edit: Defamatory bull*hit deleted. Rye, you haven't even reached member status here. One more incident like this, and you won't. -- Hal)

#13650 - 09/25/09 01:51 PM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Mr. Underwood said: "This is the only site I posted this on, and for good reason.
I don't care for pages of BS, just good honest opinions."

And we intend to fulfill his expectations. If you have an opinion, or have a constructive criticism on this topic, we encourage your response. If you intend to use this topic, or these boards, to carry on some sort petty infighting, or foster some personal agenda, simply email me and I'll pull your membership right now.

I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS!

You who intend to be counterproductive are welcome to carry your shameful backbiting, squabbling, and whatever other little hissy fit, pissing match you have going on somewhere else. There are places where that kind of non-productive bull*hit is accepted and enjoyed. Not here!

And now I fully understand why Mr. Underwood posted this here and not somewhere else.

Hal

#13651 - 09/25/09 03:30 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I just went at this from a different direction. Being a aspiring trapper in Wilmington. I went in search of the course I needed to get my license. Went to the NCWRC home page and found trappers education listed. Followed the links(very easy to do) and whoops. 1 course between now and 10-24-09. One location Madison Co. That is about as far west as you can get and still be in N.C. probably about a 6 hr drive. It is a two day class and you must attend both days.
I'm all for people needing to put a bit of effort into obtaining a license but what the state is asking them to do in this situation is going to effect recruitment very negatively.
Before assuming that the classes themselves are the problem take a much closer look how they are being offered.

#13652 - 09/25/09 04:40 PM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Online   content

Thank you Ric.

Now we have identified a problem. Sure took a long time to get there. I said from the onset, availability is the key.

Maybe this can be fixed. But first...

We are here to fix a problem -- we are not here to fix blame. If you don't understand that, then you probably don't have the wisdom to participate in this discussion. One of the advantages of this format is that we can, and will, enforce civil debate. If you can't separate issues from individuals, please do not contribute.

Now edify me:

Is two days actually required, or is this just an exceptionally long course?

What is required to become an instructor?

Is there any provision at all for home study?

Hal

#13653 - 09/25/09 04:43 PM Re: about trappers courses
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
That is one of the reasons for the internet course Quebec offers. You do the course when you want and at the speed you want. All materials are sent to you.

The cost is steep. It was $160 a few years ago. You must pass an examination. The exam schedule is not perfect but if you don't mind driving you have access to one every few months.

#13654 - 09/25/09 04:46 PM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Online   content

If we charged $160 for a trapper ed course, that would effective put an end to recruitment here.

Hal

#13655 - 09/26/09 02:44 AM Re: about trappers courses
Ldsoldier Offline

A large part of the problem here is the lack of information. First off, to be clear, NC doesn't require trapper's ed, at least not yet. The program that Ric found is being held in conjunction with the Mountain Rendezvous, which is put on by the NCTA. That is part of the reason that it's two days. Again, lack of information. This is one of our biggest problems. There is usually one basic trappers ed class a year here in NC. Its generally held in Durham, which is right next to Raleigh for those that don't know the area.

The fellows in the mountains are getting their own cuz THEY put it together. THEY asked the NCWRC what they had to do, and then did it. If we did the same thing on the coast, we'd have one on the coast. The answer to our problem is that more of us have to get involved. While it may be difficult, its that simple. The fellows in the mountains didn't like having to drive clear to Raleigh, so they made one happen closer to them.

The reason less people are coming into outdoor sports is because less people are brought up outdoors. Less youth know anything about it. The answer is that more of us that are already in it need to be proactive in bringing youth in, and teaching them ethical practices. If you want more classes, then lets put it together. We'll talk to David Denton (who is in charge of the hunter/trapper education classes) and get it organized. While its admittedly easier said than done, its that simple.

Remember, the more that a responsible organization is willing to take upon itself, the more the government entity that is over it is willing to work with it. The NCTA has a very good relationship with the NCWRC. We take initiative, police our own, and are reasonable in our requests. Remember, we'll get further being proactive than reactive.

(edit: 9/26/09 by ldsoldier, sorry, a line of thought was lost between my brain and fingers)

#13656 - 09/26/09 03:47 PM Re: about trappers courses
Hal Online   content

I can only describe the experience we had in Ohio. I can't remember the specific dates, and I'm too lazy to look them up, but we've had Trappers Ed here in Ohio for about 30 years now. Originally, OSTA was primary in providing instructors. And if I'm not mistaken, it was mandatory for the conservation officer in each county to offere a course, if there was none otherwise available. I don't remember half of this because I was "grand fathered" in and not required to take the test. I didn't take the test myself until I wanted to become certified as an instructor. I also had to take a one day sit down course with DOW personnel.

Courses were a one-day event. I believe the minimum technical requirement was only three hours. You'd get the test materials, schedule a course, and see who showed up. a lot of times it was only one or two kids.

Later on, when the "child molester" panic swept the country, instructors were no longer allowed to give courses at their homes, and it was required that two instructors be present at all times with the students. Now, we needed two instructors per course and not one.

Fast forward: About ten years ago, we went to home study. Now, there is no need "schedule" anything. Get the course at your leisure. I'm not sure if anybody is even offering to serve up the trapper ed course in a classroom setting. We (OSTA) replaced that with the workshops I mentioned above. The workshops are not mandatory, but like I said, they can provide some hands on experience for raw beginners.

What LD said about "proactive" may be wise in this case. I don't see how you can dodge the issue in this day and age. Has a home study course been given any consideration?

Hal

#13657 - 09/26/09 11:46 PM Re: about trappers courses
Ldsoldier Offline

I spoke with our education coordinator at the convention today and mentioned some of concerns that have been brought up. He is going to get some things on the NCWRC page clarified. Also, our trapper's ed course covers 8 hours of instruction.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.