Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives
General Trapping Archives
Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#13977 - 10/17/06 10:12 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Trapper-Randy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
So What I am understanding is the CB shorts are not powerful enough for the yotes? If thats the case I will have to keep some LRHP's in my pocket!

#13978 - 10/18/06 12:54 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
predator145 Offline

Loc: south west Louisiana
In Louisiana you are only allowed to use 22 shorts when checking traps. Anything else will get you a big fat ticket!!

#13979 - 10/18/06 05:52 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I have repeated the cb long tests a couple times and the results are consistant.Both rounds are loaded with what appears to be the same powder charge.Given the difference in the case sizes one would expect lower pressures and velocity fron the long case.If that is correct.Why it catches up in a longer barrel is another question for another forum.

That being said.I have had both cb rounds fail to do the job on coon if the angle of the shot is wrong.Dispatching Coyotes with a cb as Hal aptly put it is an art form in itself.
38 gr.HP Sub Sonics or Short HP's are what I now use.Either will do the deed on coyote sized and smaller animals in a business like manner.

One circumstance where I find cb's to be the perfered choice is skunks.Out of a rifle both are very quiet and I find that skunks appreciate that

#13980 - 10/18/06 07:51 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Three other possible rounds that no one has mentioned are the .17 Mach II, .17 HMR, and .22 rimfire Mag. The 17's are fairly "new", but I've noticed a pretty good selection of both rifles and handguns chambered for them in my gun books. I don't have the ballistic charts handy, but did recently compare the 17's, depending on your situation, any of them should work.

A friend of mine longlines for fox around the MD, WV and VA intersection, the only firearm he carries is a .22 Mag rifle. He totes it for the incidental coyote, and feral animals. Last time we talked about yotes, he told me that he'd stop 30 or 40 yards from the animal, and shoot it in the heart/lung area. smile

#13981 - 10/18/06 08:56 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds

Somehow a 22 mag seems way too much cartridge for dispatching furbearersin the lower 48. Also, I can't imagine not getting damage.

I find a good option to be the CCI quick shock rounds. However, if you are looking for quiet these will not impress you. I find the three bullet fragments form about a three inch exit pattern and are most often lodged under the skin opposite the entrance hole. I would not use these for head shot dispatch.

#25478 - 10/25/17 01:44 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds [Re: Ric]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.
Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.