Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13967 - 10/16/06 07:09 AM Dispatch Rounds
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
A few years back we had a good thread on dispatch rounds.Just to open it up for discussion again.Here are some of the exterior ballistics that you can really expect for some of the common rounds used.The orginal thread can be found in the General trapping archives under"dispatch rounds"

p=pistol,r=rifle,fps=feet per second @15',fp=foot pounds of enegery @15'

CB short..p=681 fps/30 fp...r=748 fps/36 fp

CB long..p=578 fps/21.5 fp...r=734 fps/35 fp

Short HV..p=993 fps/63.5 fp...r=1112fps/79.5 fp

LR HVHP..p=1075 fps/97.5 fp...r=1307fps/144 fp

LR Sub Sonic..p=860 fps/62.5 fp...r=974 fps/80 fp

#13968 - 10/16/06 04:39 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Steve Offline

Loc: Milton, Indiana
Interesting enough for data enthusiast I suppose ... but at 1- 2 foot range ballistics dont really mean much in dispatching an animal.

#13969 - 10/17/06 08:02 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
The devil they don't. Try shooting a coyote in the forehead with a CB.

On second thought, please don't try that.

It might bevbetter if Ric could include the energy values as well.

smile -- Hal

#13970 - 10/17/06 02:55 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Why does the CB short have more of everything that the CB long?? In the .22cal normal world, it's usually the opposite. confused Frank.

#13971 - 10/17/06 03:44 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
That's interesting about the CB short and long comparasions. I've shot a few CBs, didn't realize that the Longs had less "juice" than the shorts. A few years ago I used standard HV "shorts" in my trapline pistol, 6" BBL, honestly they were as loud as the cheap .22 LRs, and more expensive. I only bought 100 rounds, and switched back to LRs when they were gone. I'm sure everyone has different "needs" from their gun. One thing i think about is the animal that's poorly held, maybe by 2 or 3 toes. Most of my equipment is "small" compared to "coyote" traps, if I catch a yote or bobcat in a 1 3/4 coilspring, and can't tell for sure it's held firmly, I'll tip-toe within range, get a good rest and shoot it through the lungs. Here where I work, we have the 550 round box of Federal HPLR .22's for $10.50 For my purpose, I'd rather have the extra "punch", they're cheaper too. smile

#13972 - 10/17/06 03:48 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
For all intents and purposes, the CB Long and CB Short have the same power. Just because one has a longer case doesn't mean it has more powder. I think the difference between the CB Long and the CB Short in this case may be an anomaly. Actually their advertised values are the same. At any rate there is only 1 foot-pound of difference in energy between the two in Ric's figures. The only practical difference between the two is the length of the case. The CB Long has a "long rifle" case. Thus you can shoot CB Longs in a regular Long Rifle chamber with no danger of "ringing" the chamber by firing too short of a load in it. But the truth is, you would have to fire literally thousands of rounds of "shorts" to do any damage at all to a standard Long Rifle chamber.

smile -- Hal

#13973 - 10/17/06 08:58 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Steve Offline

Hal ... I guess I dont have much of an opinion of CB caps ... or use for ... but I understand about the coyote ... once had a yote that took 5 .22 LR's to put down ... I just dont get that technical about trapping

Steve

#13974 - 10/17/06 09:14 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Quote:
once had a yote that took 5 .22 LR's to put down ... I just dont get that technical about trapping

Steve
I gotta ask, Where were you shooting it? confused

RO smile

#13975 - 10/17/06 09:25 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Steve Offline

head ... where else?

#13976 - 10/17/06 09:59 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
StemCell Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Years back, when I was running coon hounds, I tried every .22 rimfire round that I could find to shoot treed raccoons. I settled on CCI mini-mag short hollow points. Even on shots traveling from under the jaw they usually lay against the hide on the top of the head. The bullets were perfect mushrooms. I shot numerous large bodied coons down with this round with chest shots--the results were the same with the bullet laying on the opposite side against the hide. I do not recall having any difficulty with this round; if I hit them they died quickly. My daughter has me getting back into the trapping routine and I will be using this round again--if of course I can find some as not every dealer carries them.

#13977 - 10/17/06 10:12 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Trapper-Randy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
So What I am understanding is the CB shorts are not powerful enough for the yotes? If thats the case I will have to keep some LRHP's in my pocket!

T-R

#13978 - 10/18/06 12:54 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
predator145 Offline

Loc: south west Louisiana
In Louisiana you are only allowed to use 22 shorts when checking traps. Anything else will get you a big fat ticket!!

#13979 - 10/18/06 05:52 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I have repeated the cb long tests a couple times and the results are consistant.Both rounds are loaded with what appears to be the same powder charge.Given the difference in the case sizes one would expect lower pressures and velocity fron the long case.If that is correct.Why it catches up in a longer barrel is another question for another forum.

That being said.I have had both cb rounds fail to do the job on coon if the angle of the shot is wrong.Dispatching Coyotes with a cb as Hal aptly put it is an art form in itself.
38 gr.HP Sub Sonics or Short HP's are what I now use.Either will do the deed on coyote sized and smaller animals in a business like manner.

One circumstance where I find cb's to be the perfered choice is skunks.Out of a rifle both are very quiet and I find that skunks appreciate that

#13980 - 10/18/06 07:51 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Three other possible rounds that no one has mentioned are the .17 Mach II, .17 HMR, and .22 rimfire Mag. The 17's are fairly "new", but I've noticed a pretty good selection of both rifles and handguns chambered for them in my gun books. I don't have the ballistic charts handy, but did recently compare the 17's, depending on your situation, any of them should work.

A friend of mine longlines for fox around the MD, WV and VA intersection, the only firearm he carries is a .22 Mag rifle. He totes it for the incidental coyote, and feral animals. Last time we talked about yotes, he told me that he'd stop 30 or 40 yards from the animal, and shoot it in the heart/lung area. smile

#13981 - 10/18/06 08:56 AM Re: Dispatch Rounds
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Somehow a 22 mag seems way too much cartridge for dispatching furbearersin the lower 48. Also, I can't imagine not getting damage.

I find a good option to be the CCI quick shock rounds. However, if you are looking for quiet these will not impress you. I find the three bullet fragments form about a three inch exit pattern and are most often lodged under the skin opposite the entrance hole. I would not use these for head shot dispatch.

#25478 - 10/25/17 01:44 PM Re: Dispatch Rounds [Re: Ric]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.