Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#13982 - 05/06/11 08:58 PM A Funny Thing...
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Here's an amusing anecdote from last season.

I came busting out the door of my fur shed one night and walked right straight up on a skunk eating beaver on my gut pile. I hadn't turned on the outside light, and only happened to see the skunk by the white on its back. I was just a few feet away.

Having some experience with these critters, I knew better than to panic. I greeted the skunk in a low, calm voice. And it actually kept on feeding on the beaver carcass. Finally, after some discussion, it ambled away.

Only to come back a hour later. After a couple days of conversing with this skunk, I was growing concerned that me and that skunk might have an accidental encounter in the dark. I cleaned up the gut pile, and took one beaver carcass to the far end of the yard. That skunk stayed around and that beaver carcass lasted it almost a month.

Anybody else got an amusing incident?

Hal

#13983 - 05/06/11 09:29 PM Re: A Funny Thing...
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Once when coming home from work late. I pulled in my usual parking spot, closed my eyes for a "few" minuets then slid slowly out of the truck. It had been a verrry long day/night.One foot hit the ground, the other landed on something soft.Looking down.The black and white was a dead give away and I figured I was screwed big time. Talked to that skunk nice and gentle like while taking my foot off it very slowly. After the offending foot was removed we took the measure of each other for what seemed like days, while I continued the one sided conversation. Mr. skunk decided I was just dumb, not a real threat and finally ambled away. When I got to bed my wife said she was going to let the dog out when she heard me come in.Didn't though because she heard me talking to someone and the dog took exception to people it didn't know in the dark. Every one gets lucky once in a while

#13984 - 05/06/11 09:48 PM Re: A Funny Thing...
predator145 Offline

Loc: south west Louisiana
Last year my wife got a cat and one night I saw another cat on the porch eating our cats food. I had been seeing a dark grey cat around and had been wanting to get rid of it. I saw it in the dark on the porch and did not want to alert it so I did not turn the light on. I opened the door and charged it to kick it of the porch but it never ran. It just turned his rear end toward me and then I noticed a white streak on the cat. Luckily for me the skunk did not spray and allowed me to slowly back up. It then walked away and I have never seen it again.Now I turn the light on.

#13985 - 05/07/11 12:33 AM Re: A Funny Thing...
Mike Conrad Offline

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
Hey Ric, good thing Pat didn't know you were talking to a skunk or she would have let the dog out for sure.

#13986 - 07/01/11 04:48 PM Re: A Funny Thing...
KYwoodchuck Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Once last season my buddy caught a skunk in a dirt hole set. "That thing stunk up the holler" he claimed. Well a couple of days later I was with him on his trapline when I asked him were it was. He pointed it out to me and I walked up to it and told him it didn't stink. I ended up hanging it in a tree and skinning it. I also got the essence off of him to. That was the first skunk I ever skinned.

#13987 - 07/01/11 07:15 PM Re: A Funny Thing...
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
When I was in university I trapped to help pay for tuition. Since I was out of province, I teamed up with another guy that I met through his wife whom I was attending classes with.

I wasn't familiar with bobcats but knew they were worth money. Buddy spotted tracks and we made a sure fire set for it. Another classmate decided to run the line with us the next morning before class because he had never seen a bobcat before.

Sure enough the bobcat had a nice stripe down its black back. We dispatched and reset. In class everyone was wondering what the stink was. Buddy's wife knew exactly what happened (her dad was a trapper and fur buyer). No one else could figure out who stunk - exactly.

Never did catch that bobcat. wink

#13988 - 07/22/11 07:12 PM Re: A Funny Thing...
Randy Archey Offline

Loc: Ohio
I retired as a corrections officer and used to work as a 3rd shift yard officer, which meant that several times an evening I would walk around the compound checking doors and security fences. One evening I walked around the corner of a building and there was a skunk about 3 feet from me with his tail in the air. I thought that I was had but he never sprayed. After that incident I always walked a wide path around the corners. After all the years that I held that job I passed a lot of skunks and never had one spray. I would even call them to me by making squeaking sounds and once they seen that I was not a mouse, they would turn and walk away. But I did raise a lot of tails.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.