Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#13989 - 10/24/06 04:44 PM Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I'm starting this thread in hopes of reaching some understanding regarding dispatch methods, or objections thereto, that have been, and are, suggested by some users of these boards. In particular, at this juncture, injecting skunks with non-standard chemicals to achieve death.

Many trapping sites won't even touch this subject, but we've never been afraid of it here. Dispatching animals is part of what we do, and there is no sense in pretending it is not.

We have discussed a number of dispatch methods including blunt force, dislocation, asphyxiation, cardiac trauma, shooting and drowning. Sometimes it is mentioned that whichever group is the national representative of veterinarians (sorry I don't know which one it is) has issued "approved" methods for euthanizing animals. I dare say than many, if not most, times our methods do not meet their criteria. So we are out of luck from the git go.

Now, there are those among us who believe we should not promote the use of some non-standard chemicals for injecting skunks -- even though it results in a very quick death. I am curious to know why. Some have said that this will not sit well with the general public. Despite the fact that a whole lot of folks find any sort of death offensive, is this worse that some of the other methods we suggest?

I'm crawling way out on a limb here butů How about the suggestion that we shoot animals in the heart, lungs, liver, or any place else other than in the brain. From a "humane" standpoint, a bullet in the brain causes immediate "death" although involuntary muscle contractions can continue for some time. Shooting an animal anywhere other than in the brain, does not bring about death as rapidly, although a properly placed shot can bring about death quickly.

Mind you, I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but we don't seem to have any trouble with people suggesting a "lung" shot to kill coyotes (or even skunks for that matter). But when we start suggesting non-standard chemicals for lethal injection, concern becomes evident.

Where shall we draw the line?

quest -- Hal

#13990 - 10/24/06 05:03 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
I inject most everything with na-pentothal. But it is a controled substance and have to have a liscense to get it. It's also expensive. I still beleive it the most humane way.

#13991 - 10/24/06 05:09 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Okay. But what about the guy who doesn't have a license? I don't know what kind of license you have, or what you have to go through to get it, but it would probably be impractical to recommend everyone get the license just to inject a few skunks.

Also, in regards to the most humane way, are you opposed to shooting animals any place other than in the brain?

quest -- Hal

#13992 - 10/24/06 05:09 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Ten Shot Offline

Loc: Mauston, Wisconsin
I know I'm new here and I realize that I am new to trapping but I feel kind of responsible for this thread because of my "skunks" post.

FYI Hal, the Veterinary Medical Assoociation or VMA, is one of the national associations of veterinarians. The American Animal Hospital Association or AAHA is the other national association of veterinarians.

I'd much rather dispatch an animal with a bullet to the brain than by any other means. To me it is much more humane than blugeoning.

#13993 - 10/24/06 05:11 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

How is traumatizing the brain with a bullet any more humane that traumatizing it with a heavy blunt object?

quest -- Hal

#13994 - 10/24/06 05:12 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Trapper-Randy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I do the shot to the brain. It seems to be the best way in my opinon.

T-R

#13995 - 10/24/06 05:14 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Ten Shot Offline

Personal preference. I realize both cause trauma to the brain. Maybe its from my farm background. When we butcher animals (beef, hogs) we down them with a bullet to the brain not with a blow to the head with a club.

#13996 - 10/24/06 05:23 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Then we will assume you mis-spoke when you said you found shooting an animal "much more humane than blugeoning."

These are some of the problems I am trying to clear up around here. I don't want us to be found hypocritical in our recommendations.

smile -- Hal

#13997 - 10/24/06 05:36 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Ten Shot Offline

Yeah Hal you are correct. When you think about it one way is not more humane than the other. Both (bullet to the brain or blungeoning with a club)are humane ways to dispatch an animal. Its personal preference.

#13998 - 10/24/06 06:29 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay. But what about the guy who doesn't have a license? I don't know what kind of license you have, or what you have to go through to get it, but it would probably be impractical to recommend everyone get the license just to inject a few skunks.

The wife is a vet, youre right. it would be impractical if not impossible for most to get.

Also, in regards to the most humane way, are you opposed to shooting animals any place other than in the brain?

I have probally used every way known to man to dispatch. NO I am not opposed to shooting any place other than the brain.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.