Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#14019 - 10/25/06 05:42 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Ketamine is used intramuscular, I think thats the correct word but anyway, it means in the muscle....anwhere in the muscle of the animal.

So to answer your question Hal, it is NOT critical what part of the animal gets the shot.

***NOTE***

I almost didnt add the "ketamine" part as w/ JWR's drug, ketamine is a very regulated controlled substance, it does almost take a act of congress to obtain it even w/ a precription.

Its use is primarly done w/ dart guns in conjuntion w/ xylazine to tranq animals for relocation or to obtain data .
99.9999 percent of fur trappers have no need for it, sorry I mentioned it.

#14020 - 10/25/06 05:55 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Keith: Please don't be sorry.

That is a helpful response. Now, here is the next question:

Is there any "approved" chemical/drug for euthanizing animals by lethal injection that would be easily and readily obtainable by the average trapper?

quest -- Hal

#14021 - 10/25/06 05:58 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

NO.........none

#14022 - 10/25/06 06:04 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
KSHunter Offline

Loc: Baldwin City, KS
I feel what Hal says about should we be suggesting non-standard chemicals and others posting the use of controlled drugs is debate for ethics along with opinion.

I find it very concerning, especially for the youth that seek these types of web sites out for mentoring and education and the see that "you can just go to your vet and get some stuff that works great!" mentality. That is ethicly wrong on our parts as trappers for approaching a veterinarian for those drugs and the veterinarians part for allowing those drugs out of their hands.

If it read it right jwr has a wife that is a vet, that doesn't make anymore legal for him to have that drug than anyone else. Buzzard noting that he uses ketamine, a drug that is very troublesome with drug users and many veterinary hospitals are broke into to find it as a method of dispatching, very unsure how one would get such a controlled drug.

As for acetone or other products, would it be any better if someone manufactured a product that the public could buy over the counter for the purpose of dispatching animals?

I have worked in the veterinary medical field for 15 years and trapper for many of those. I am a supporter of the acetone injection and well placed shots. This is a debate that could go on and on.

#14023 - 10/25/06 06:16 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Quote:
"you can just go to your vet and get some stuff that works great!" mentality. That is ethicly wrong on our parts as trappers for approaching a veterinarian for those drugs and the veterinarians part for allowing those drugs out of their hands.
Not sure where you read that at ?? You cant as I mentioned above.......I have a precription for it and I can only obtain it from one person, the person who wrote it.

As for my obtaining Ketamine , I am 100 percent legally alloud to have it in possesion and to use it.

I aquired it from a vet that is a veternarian consultant to many animal control offices across the lower 48 and also hold seminars for chemical imobilization across the same 48. I have taken his course and am certified to use all types of immobilization techniques.....hope that sheds a little light on where I get my drugs.

Also , for legal puposes as well as liability, I have on hand no more than 250 ml and they are locked in a steel box behind my seat at any time I am in the truck.

#14024 - 10/25/06 06:19 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Also........I forgot.

I keep a log of every cc used , where , when and on what, the log must match whats left in the bottle.

#14025 - 10/25/06 06:48 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Ten Shot Offline

Loc: Mauston, Wisconsin
When we talk about dispatching an animal I believe first and foremost in our minds and actions should be respect for that animal. I have a young son along with me on the trapline and the most important thing I want him to learn is respect for the animals that we trap whether it be a possum a raccoon or a coyote. When respect is shown, that animal will be killed in the best practical manner whether it be by a bullet to the brain or the lungs or by blunt force trauma to the brain, or by drowning, or by injection. If you know that you have shown respect than you know that you have done your job effectively and humanely.

Respect for critters that we trap doesn't begin and end with dispatching. Respect begins with equipment that is used to trap that animal and continues with proper set location. How the animal is handled once caught and after it is dispatched are very impressionable actions to a youngster. As a result I am very conscience (as I am sure 99.99% of the trappers out there are) of my actions while trapping. Respect for the animal continues with how we handle it when putting it up and how we handle and dispose of the carcass.

To me treating the critters with respect is key to trapping "humanely".........Ten Shot

#14026 - 10/25/06 07:20 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Please, let us not lose focus here….

"This is a debate that could go on and on."

But it won't. I assure you that we will reach a resolution here.

KS: You say you are a supporter of acetone injection. Tell me how it works. Does it have to be injected directly into the lungs? What are your experiences with it?

On the "Skunk" thread, Downwind Ken says a vet recommended he use acetone. If that is true, then maybe this does have merit.

I would really like to hear more from people who have actually done this -- good or bad.

smile -- Hal

#14027 - 10/25/06 08:01 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Im a bit confused here now w/ the comments made on acetone. Hal , please delete this iffin its too far off the focus of this thread.

Quote:
I have worked in the veterinary medical field for 15 years and trapper for many of those. I am a supporter of the acetone injection and well placed shots. This is a debate that could go on and on.
AND

Quote:
On the "Skunk" thread, Downwind Ken says a vet recommended he use acetone. If that is true, then maybe this does have merit.

plus

Quote:
The acetone deal from another site was brought on from a arrest made of someone utilizing this method on skunks and got busted for it....that was the reasoning of not discussing it over there. I do not know this first hand but just the info from the sites owner.
The last quote was from my first post......as in the whole issue of acetone, is it legal ??

I find it odd that someone would get busted for it, if it was legal ?

#14028 - 10/25/06 08:07 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Ten Shot Offline

Loc: Mauston, Wisconsin
Sorry Hal, I had been thinking about this all night and thought I'd share my thoughts with everyone.

I do know of a trapper in Northern Wis. that targets skunks. He live traps them and injects them with acetone in the lungs. I have never seen him inject so I guess this is second hand info.

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.