Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#14039 - 10/25/06 11:21 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
downwind ken Offline

Loc: Athens, Ohio
I first read about dispacting skunks this way back in the late 80's..There used to be someone who sold "dispact kits" at that time also, but I haven't seen them being offered for a while.

#14040 - 10/25/06 11:24 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
”normally I'm getting them in the chest area..Always try for a heart "shot",but doesn't seem to make much of a differance,same amount of time to expire”

If I interpret this correctly, you are not making particular effort to put this in the lungs, since you said you often try for the heart. You simply go for the “chest area”. If this is a successful method, then it should be within the province of the average individual to accomplish.

Please, if anyone else uses this method I would really like to hear from you.

smile -- Hal

#14041 - 10/25/06 11:34 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
downwind ken Offline

Hal, it may very well be better to get into the lungs but a lot of the times thay don't give you that option..When I first read about useing this,thay said "middle of the chest area" was best spot to try for..Story was ether in FFG or the TRAPPER in around 85-87?..

#14042 - 10/25/06 11:37 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
downwind ken Offline

By chest area,I meen base of the neck on a skunk faceing you also..

#14043 - 10/25/06 11:43 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
creektrapper Offline

Loc: central Iowa
Just to play devils advocate here - how "humane"
is it to use drowning sets to dispatch the animal for us?. Just because we get there & the animal is already expired, does that lead us to believe that the animal did not suffer as it was drowning?. Just a thought!!

#14044 - 10/26/06 12:47 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Hal asked relative to approved use: “do you really want to go there?

Not particularly but others will. Also, thinning a tar like substance to coat metal may be viewed very differently than injections into living things.

Now I will interject this; personally I have no issues with acetone delivered to the lungs. I have no information that it causes any discomfort or is in any way inhumane. I have listened to many accountings of the speed of death; fifteen seconds seems on the slow side to what I have been told by others.

What instigated my original post was "nail polish remover". I think in this thread I read acetone / paint thinner (acetone thins some types of paint for sure, but how many would just grab paint thinner which is a VERY different mixture of compounds?)

I have no information on any prosecution for using acetone to kill animals. I would guess that some locals have "liberally” written anti cruelty laws that very likely could lead to such convictions. Without "approved use" or some other form of documentation I can envision convictions and pages of press releases.

A note in closing; I do believe that this type of thread serves trappers and trapping well. If we do not question ourselves I guarantee others will and while they are at it they will fix the problem permanently. Thanks Hal for your courage to delve where others won’t.

#14045 - 10/26/06 01:56 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Kevin Upperman Offline

Loc: PA
Very interesting thread.

To me putting an animal down humanely means having it die as quickly as possible without any or as minimal amount of suffering. Does this happen 100% of the time? No.

Each situation and critter dictates where the shot placement is, or drowning setup is used.

As to the use of acetone to inject animals. It isn't legal here.

If I remember correctly about the thread in question on using acetone and getting a fine. I think it was that the person didn't get fined because they used acetone (would've got fined for using any drug) but rather that it wasn't defined as a legal dispatch method in their area.

I've been trained and certified (as a bird bander) in the method of cervical dislocation. I think I've could count on one hand the number of times I've used this method. Only because the situation and animal dictated that it be used.

#14046 - 10/26/06 02:16 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:
Now I will interject this; personally I have no issues with acetone delivered to the lungs. I have no information that it causes any discomfort or is in any way inhumane. I have listened to many accountings of the speed of death; fifteen seconds seems on the slow side to what I have been told by others.
A point to add to the complexity of this thread......regulated and controlled euthinizing drugs and drugs used for anesthisia take longer than the the commented 15 secounds of a chest cavity acetone shot skunk.

Sodium phenobarbitate (sp) which is the euthinizing drug of most if not all veternarian clinics as well as the drug used for "human" death sentences takes much longer than 15 secounds ........so someone explain to me why 15 seconds is slow in the field and not in the clinic ?

#14047 - 10/26/06 02:42 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Could we be confusing unconsciousness and death?

#14048 - 10/26/06 02:47 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Tom,

dont they both come hand in hand wherever chemicals are used ?

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.