Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#14059 - 10/26/06 09:03 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
WayneAmerica Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I've been following this thread since the beginning and there has been a lot of thought put into the responses. It appears to me, the expeditious manner in which death occurs is the most applicable "humane" issue... the quicker death occurs, the less pain, suffering, etc occur.

That beng said, a well-placed bullet in the brain would overwhemlmingly be the choice method. Once you destroy the hindbrain, specifically the medulla (controls heart-rate, breathing, etc), which all animals considered here have, located essentially at the base of the skull, bodily functions cease, period. There may be some residual nerve firing, and some speculation has been made of momentary consciousness, but, for all intensive purposes, death has occured. Couple that with a supersonic bullet and that's about as instantaneous as you can get. I realize that's all in a "perfect world," and there are going to be some "not-so-well" placed shots, however, if it was me, and that's a good way of looking at it, that'd be the method I would choose.

#14060 - 10/26/06 09:41 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Quote:
in Arkansas he said animals could not be injected period.
The next time you talk to him please have him make the same call again and get the regulation #. I have read it ( the complete reg book) twice and have not found anything about dispatch methods anywhere in it.
I know I am legal and will not have a problem but would still like to see it.

#14061 - 10/27/06 10:25 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Folks, please stay on topic. This is not a "what method do you use" thread. It is about non-standard methods, and primarily lethal injection, and more to the point, acetone as a chemical for lethal injection. (I will edit the title to reflect this.)

The question of legality is certainly valid. I really would like to know if there are states that prohibit trappers from using lethal injection as a method of dispatch.

And, I really would like to continue here. I have been waiting to hear the "horror" stories of botched injections, or bad experiences using acetone as the chemical agent. So far, none have materialized.

I am still slightly unclear as to the target area for the injection. Is does appear, however, that injecting directly into the lungs is unnecessary as long as the chest cavity is breached. This is important as we are concerned with inexperienced people being able to accomplish this task.

I really hope we can get a little more input from people who have experience in injecting acetone. Also if there are those who continue to harbor objections to this, now is the time to speak up.

smile -- Hal

#14062 - 10/27/06 11:51 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
I'll jump in briefly, T-61 is a non controlled euthanizing agent, that given the right dose will dispatch humanely. In Canada we are controlled by the "act of administering" a pharmaceutical for euthanizing or tranquillizing purposes. So you must be certified to administer, even if the drug is not controlled. That may not be the case in many states.

#14063 - 10/27/06 12:12 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
what is T-61

#14064 - 10/27/06 12:25 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
What I found..........

Vet specialties

Target Species: Cats and Dogs.

Active ingredients: embutramide

Description: T 61 is indicated for euthanasia of animals.

Composition
Solution contains per ml:
0.2 g embutramine
0.05 g mebezonium iodide
0.005 g tetracaine hydochloride

Formulation: Aqueous solution for injection.

Indications: Euthanasia.

Dosage:
Dogs, intravenous injection:
0.3 ml/kg by slow intravenous injection.
Dogs, intrapulmonary/intracardial injection:
Dogs up to 10 kg: 7-10 ml, dogs above 10 kg: 10 ml, followed by a second dose of 3-10 ml after the animal has become unconscious. The best place for the injection is the dorsal third of the chest wall, directly behind the scapula.

Cats, intrapulmonary/intracardial injection:
Kittens up to a few days old: 1 ml, kittens up to 6 months: 3 ml, cats above 6 months: 5 ml, ctas above 5 kg: 10 ml. The best place for the injection is the dorsal third of the chest wall, directly behind the scapula.

Presentation: Cartons with a vial containing 50 ml.

Storage: At room temperature.

Further information:
In case of accidental penetration of the operaterís skin through an existing wound or inadvertent puncture with the needle, the wound should be thoroughly washed out, and analeptic drug treatment should be considered.

(Edit: Non-substantive. -- Hal)

#14065 - 10/27/06 01:38 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
downwind ken Offline

Loc: Athens, Ohio
Here in Ohio, we are alowed to use acetone to euthanasia furbearers(skunks)..I have never heard of anyone useing this method on anything but skunks though..
I called the ODNR dist 4 office and talked to the law enforcement superviser about this and a couple of other issues from here..There were a couple of things that I and a whole lot of others always thought were legal that arn't!..For Ohio's laws, you can go to..anderson.com..look under ohio admin code..trapping is under sec. 1501:31-15-09..

(A search under "anderson.com" yields no results. -- Hal)

#14066 - 10/27/06 05:40 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
downwind ken Offline

Loc: Athens, Ohio
Sorry Hal,I put that on here before I had tried to look it up..I was able to find the site under a general search of "Ohio Administrative Code"..I was abile to find it there..1501:31 is the division of wildlife part of it..rest is under that 15-09 part..sorry for the confusion..

#14067 - 10/27/06 07:21 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
bawade Offline

Loc: StParis, ohio
Working with acetone on regular basis id bet if you didn't hit the lungs or heart it still would dissolve the lungs. I would like to test this on a squirrel the next time I kill one and see if my theory is right...
As some else has asked, has anyone opened up the cavity to see what it does?

#14068 - 10/27/06 09:10 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
Hal has asked if there are any objections to speak up now.

In a previous post, I said to check to make sure it is legal. Perhaps what I should have said was make sure it is isnt illegal. And that applies to all the statutes, including game, animal welfare, and registration of products for use on animals when using injectable chemicals.

I am of the firm view that whatever the method of dispach of the animal, the first thought is the humaneness of the method. A secondary consideration should be whether the skunk sprays, or whatever your other issues are with your trap. If we dont put animal welfare first and foremost, then we will (rightly IMO) be a target ourselves (there is enough ojections from some quarters over trapping, dont add fuel to the fire).

My "objection" therefore is that trappers (or hunters) use the most humane method of dispach regardless of whether it is "standard" or not.

What may be considered "non-standard" means of dispach on the trapping line may well be "standard" (or at least routine) by others such as professionals. I inject animals under some circumstances where a bullet cannot be used, and after careful consideration of all the issues involved (availability of the product, animal welfare, safety, legal issues etc). I use general anaesthetics or "tranqilizers".

In relation to injection of acetone on skunks, the fact that skunks dont spray after injection into the lung cavity may indicate it is quick (and humane) or is there some other reason? Or is that secondary to spraying?
Mike

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.