Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#14069 - 10/28/06 02:42 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
NEA Trapper Offline

Loc: arkansas
jwr, I called him and he gave me the regulation code # 18.07. Which reads: It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take wildlife by the use of deadfalls, drugs, poisons, chemicals, or explosives. It doesn't specifically say dispacthing a trapped animal. (Arkansas)
Mark

#14070 - 10/28/06 03:55 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
NEA Trapper Offline

Loc: arkansas
The AGFC defines the word "take" as: to shoot, kill, injure, trap, net, snare, spear, catch, capture, or reduce to possession. So this would make it clearly illegel to use injection as a method of dispatching in Arkansas. Thanks Mike for the PM.
Mark
Mark

#14071 - 10/28/06 11:56 AM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
This came from the NYSDEC web site.........

It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

while in or on a motor vehicle (except by the holder of a Non Ambulatory Hunter Permit).
with the aid of a vehicle's lights.
on or from any public road.
with any firearm equipped with a silencer.
with any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm).
with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, except:
firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition or,
firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.
with a spear.
with a bow equipped with any mechanical device which is attached to the bow (other than the bowstring) for drawing, holding or releasing the bowstring except for a physically disabled person in possession of a Handicapped Archer Permit (compound bows are legal).
with a spear gun or crossbow except for a physically disabled person in possession of a Modified Crossbow Permit.
with an arrow with an explosive head or shaft.
with any device designed or intended to deliver drugs to an animal.

#14072 - 10/28/06 12:03 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
taken from the Michigan DNR website......

Use snares, traps, cages, nets, pitfalls, deadfalls, spears, drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, explosives, ferrets, weasels or mechanical devices other than firearms, bows and arrows or slingshots to take wild birds or animals, except as provided by trapping rules or special permit.

#14073 - 10/28/06 02:04 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I think I was the first person on this thread to mention the term "paint-thinner", sorry about that mess. Now I'll try to clear-up, my intentions. We have a large company here that builds kitchen/bath cabinets, second largest cabinet maker nationwide. I worked for them about 3 years. Last evening I asked one of their foremen "what's the difference between the aceton and thinner?", he said without reading the label on the bucket/barrel he couldn't be sure. He said they use acetone, and 2 other forms of acetone (what everyone on the floor calls "thinner"), keep in mind this is an industrial-quality product. Something specially formulated for one or 2 specific uses, and is not avialable at the local hardware store. He did also mention that the 3 componds are NOT stable if mixed, and the company was required to have seperate trash cans for used/dirty wipes, because of the chance of combustion. All 3 are highly-flammable, but basically they are all acetone, so that's what I used. "Thinner" is just a slang term used by the hourly folks, which I was at the time. Hopefully that helps to clear-up my earlier comment. The skunks I needled with the stuff, went-down in less than a minute. I did extract the musk, but never thought about doing an autopsy. smile

#14074 - 10/28/06 02:31 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
To be clear, acetone is a single 3 carbon molecule; C3H6O. It is the simplest form of a ketone possible. "Paint thinner" is naptha which is a distillation fraction of crude oil composed of multiple long chain hydrocarbons; it is a mixture of many molecules. The physical aspects of acetone are very very different than naptha.

I see no need for anyone apologizing for posts made on this thread...seems to me many have learned and have began to consider things in more depth...this is a good thing, a very good thing.

#14075 - 10/28/06 04:23 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Thank you Tom. That is one of the perceptions that should be dispelled immediately. We are not talking about paint thinners. Paint thinners are various an sundry in nature, depending on what paint you wan to thin. If you want to thin latex paint -- water is the paint thinner you would use.

But what has become more curious is that the practice of lethal injection may indeed be illegal in some states. I'm always going to make allowances for specially trained/certified individuals to practice lethal injection on animals, so please do not drag that into the conversation. I'm talking about the average Joe who possesses nothing more than his fur harvesting license.

Folks have been quoting chapter and verse in some or these posts above here. While Ken has it on the authority of the Ohio Dist. 4 manager that this is legal in Ohio, I've made an attempt to look this up in the Ohio Code. The only thing I can find relevant to poisons is that they aren't allowed on arrows. It does define methods for "taking" "game" animals -- which does not include injection. However in Ohio, there is a distinction between "furbearers" and "game quadrupeds" (some like coon, fox, coyote maintain dual status). Only animals classed as furbearers may be taken with traps. And some furbearers (like beaver and otter) cannot be taken by any means other than trapping.

This is where things get very gray. The only legal means for "taking" furbearers is with approved "traps". So in a technical sense, if I have a beaver in a snare alive, it could be illegal for me to shoot it. However, the current interpretation is that once the trap has captured the animal, the act of "taking" has already occurred and the ultimate dispatch of the animal in the trap is at the discretion of the trapper.

I'll go out on a limb and say that is the way it is in most places. This is one reason I don't want to shy away from discussing methods of dispatch. If trappers are allowed to use their own discretion then they should be as well versed in these techniques as possible. I've never used lethal injection myself, but would like to become versed in this technique.

smile -- Hal

#14076 - 10/30/06 03:51 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
NEa thanks for clearing that up. I just didnt connect the dots.

I talked to several vet's. None had a exact answer, BUT all agreed acetone would work injected in the chest cavity. Some thought it would paralize the lungs while others thought it would destroy the lung tissue. None have ever actually studied the paticulars (sp) of acetone and euthansia.

#14077 - 10/30/06 06:11 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Thank you for that input. That is helpful.

smile -- Hal

#14078 - 10/30/06 08:14 PM Re: Non-standard Dispatch Methods - Lethal Injection
Ten Shot Offline

Loc: Mauston, Wisconsin
Hal -

I just sent you a PM with an attachment on this topic. Hope you received it.

Ten Shot

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.