Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14272 - 04/20/06 09:00 PM Longlining Expenses
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Say I decided to run a longline for coyotes. This would be run from my home, so I wouldn't have to pay for lodging. And, I would probably pack meals from home to save time and money.

Tell me if I missed any big expenses:

Gas and vehicle maint.(tires, oil, etc...)
Trapping licenses and permits
Traps, gear and lures.
Fur handling equipment.

I know that's a short generalized list. Tell me if I missed a biggie or you can add specific items to the stuff I have listed.

Let's hear it.

Mike

#14273 - 04/20/06 09:45 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
Family time, if you're married or have kids. smile

#14274 - 04/21/06 07:27 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Say I decided to run a longline for coyotes.

Sounds like you never have run a a long line.
Permission, Permission, Permission, It's a every year thing. Never assume you'll have it next yaer, make the trip every year to ask.

#14275 - 04/21/06 10:21 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
I cant say i long line. I do as much as i can and keep a full time job.

If you are looking at budget figures i cant think of much else. I would always add about 10% contingency when i try and estimate because there is always unknowns.

the permisson thing is every year and goes along with all the preseason work.

#14276 - 04/21/06 08:26 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
One thing that may help with your fuel cost would be to start yourself a savings account now and put ten or twenty bucks a week in it to go towards your gas expense. When the season comes you'll be better prepared to handle the fuel cost, especially since it is hard to tell what the cost of a gallon of gas will be. I'm not a long liner but I do this anyway. Makes things a little smoother on the budget.

#14277 - 04/22/06 11:36 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
Trapper Joe Offline

Loc: New brunswick
I see you don't have an ATV in your list.

Up till now I have not used my ATV much for trapping. I just trap the best places I can drive into. I usually drive 100 to 120 miles per day doing this but so far it has worked well for me.

This spring I got a trailer to haul my ATV on to use for trapping. There are a quite few areas I could trap more thoroughly with the 4-wheeler.

Any particular reason not to use an ATV in your area Mike?

You mention coyotes but maybe cats there too? An ATV might put you on locations inaccessible with a truck or car.

#14278 - 04/23/06 08:28 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
lynx/cat-trapper Offline

Loc: Twin Falls,Id.
The savings account is a good idea....AS is a 4 wheeler... one of the BEST things you can do is to plan out your line to make it the MOST efficient you can....I did this last year and saved over 500 in FUEL costs alone. You'll learn where the hot spots are...and where the dead spots are...drop the bad and set the hot ones heavily.
lynx

#14279 - 04/23/06 09:34 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
Trapper Joe Offline

I wonder what percentage of fur revenue trappers spend on gas and vehicle expense while trapping.

I have not figured it out exactly but I think about 15% - 18% of my fur revenue goes for gas and vehicle maintenance for trapping purposes. You can add a lot of miles while scouting in some cases so that has to be figured in. Running an old vehicle that is fully depreciated helps.

Gas alone is less than 10% so gas would have to go up quite a bit to slow me down.

I do not know if running a 4-wheeler will add to the expense significantly. It might increase the catch enough to keep percentages the same. Problem is, ATV require license and insurance here, expenses, expenses :rolleyes: .

#14280 - 04/24/06 11:42 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
Dusty Offline
Member+

Loc: North Pole, Alaska, USA
Having lived in that Trapper's Paradise they call Oklahoma, I'd recomend an out-of-state (just pick one!) trapping license. You're going to spend more time tacking up signs than checking traps.

Trapper Joe - I'm just curious - what's the other 90%? I'd guess that 90%+ of what I spend while trapping is for gas and vehicle maintenance - mostly gas. And, my trapline vehicle (airplane) is maintained to a higher standard and requires more expensive parts than most.

#14281 - 04/24/06 01:52 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
Trapper Joe Offline

Dusty, that is 10 percent of fur income goes for gas. It takes $10 in gas to catch $100 in fur roughly. Of course, vehicle maintenance, insurance, depreciation etc. add quite a bit more to that. I don't think I would trap much if expenses ran to 50 % in total.

But later in the season I chase coyotes just for sport. I probably spend more than I receive then. I don't see any sense in longlining unless it is profitable. I would just run a dozen or so traps for recreation if expenses were too high.

#14282 - 04/24/06 06:10 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
Dusty Offline
Member+

Joe - thanks for the clarification.

#14283 - 04/24/06 06:41 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
K. Sullivan Offline

Loc: Northern Ohio
Just curious-----How do you describe a longline?

#14284 - 04/25/06 07:00 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
Trapper Joe Offline

We really don't use the expression here, but I would think the discussion of expenses applies to anyone who spends most of the day trapping where transportation is a serious expense. For someone trapping an hour or two a day then gas should not be too big an issue.

Some guys trap full time but never travel more than 15 miles from home because there is little competition. Where there is more competition you have to cover more ground to find good areas.

I cover quite a bit of area because I am looking for special spots that catch my fancy, I guess. I find certain special spots and I just can't resist going there to trap them.

#14285 - 04/25/06 11:20 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
Dusty Offline
Member+

K. - I fly about 100 miles to a cabin, then have a couple hundred traps scattered around a 30-mile or so radius of there. I trap a few-mile wide corridor on the way (but not exclusively). Not much of a line in the geometric sense, but it's pretty long - maybe 600 miles to see it all (wild guess based on engine hours), and a line drawn around everywhere I set traps would cover something like 15,000 square miles.

If I'm ever granted statehood, Dusty's Trapline will be the 42th largest state! Sorry, Maryland. (We'll issue a limited number of trapping permits. One.)

I don't consider that a longline. It takes roughly the same amount of time to maintain as the 80 miles of snogo line I used to run. I can check/maintain it in a day, 2 mid-winter when light's in short supply, after it's all set up.

100 miles with dogs is a LONG trapline, but you can get down that in a day on a snogo. A 500 mile snowmachine trapline is LONG, but you can get there in a day via air. If you think it's a "longline" I won't argue.

I have no competition. Here, critters are few and far between and not evenly distributed. The more country you cover, the more likely you're going to find a few really good fur pockets.

#14286 - 04/26/06 06:23 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
DesertTrapper Offline

Loc: Nevada
Mike,

I don't think you will find that it pays to long line coyotes in Oklahoma or any other place these days. $20 average for your fur if lucky in a day and age where a new truck costs $35,000, an ATV $6000, and gas pushing $3.

The biggest expense you skipped was payroll. At the end of a couple of weeks of killing yourself, you might be making $2 or $3 per hour after other expenses.

But with that said, do it anyway. With rare exceptions, fur trapping is not about making money these days. Its about doing what you love. And a long line is doing it on a big basis. You will learn more in two weeks with 100 sets out then in ten years with ten sets out. Every mistake is a big one on the long line. And when everything clicks, it really clicks, and you pile up the fur in big numbers.

You will look back on it someday as the best time you ever spent.

Best of luck.

#14287 - 04/28/06 05:21 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
Glen Offline

Loc: Va.
get prepaired to pay the fiddler, If you are planning on being a longliner.You have no idea what it will do to your body. You now have to think differently. Speed is money on a long line. You are now a piece worker. A missed piece of fur now is lost wages. That why 90% of the fur is caught by 10% of the trappers. Good luck, but be careful what you wish for, you just might get it

(Edit: Please update your profile to indicte what state you are from. Thanks. -- Hal)

#14288 - 04/29/06 03:51 AM Re: Longlining Expenses
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
I trap full time 12 months of the year on what may be called a long line. The shortest distance can be 120 miles while the longest one is up to 1000. Theres a fair bit of country in between traps! I trap an area first, then move to the next, but even then I may have traps set over an area of 2,000 sq miles or more.

Even if I travel to the end and stay there for a week or three, the biggest cost is wages, then fuel and then vehicle costs. In some places I can go through 3 tyres in 30 miles so you can lose one day and win the next. Getting the steel in the ground in lots of right places quickly is important to start to recover costs immediately.
Mike

#14289 - 05/01/06 07:32 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Thanks for all the replies folks. I just used coyotes for an example.

If I actually committed to running a longline for any critters, it would just be a few weeks of vacation. Not the whole season.

Didn't really plan on actually running a longline in the next few seasons. I've just heard a lot of guys talk about it and wondered if there were any hidden expenses that I might not know about.

Getting permission is not that hard around here. Some people say no. A lot say yes. And a few call and invite you to trap.

Competition from other trappers is virtually non-existent. Trappers number in single digits per county around here.

My truck is used year-round for travel to/from work, hauling wood, etc... So the initial expense is already there of owning/maintaining/insuring it. The extra expense would be tires, oil changes, and wear and tear that lots of trapline miles add.

Trapper Joe I have already considered an ATV. It's just not in the budget right now. My truck gets paid off first before I will allow myself to buy one. I don't know if it would open up new ground, but it might make getting in some of my more difficult areas quicker and easier.

Dusty, you are preaching to the choir about Oklahoma trapping. I am originally from Missouri and still have lots of family members there. Several with decent trapping grounds.

I personally feel that MO has a very good trapping program. Plus, it would actually cost me less to pay for a non-resident trapping license in MO than all my junk I would have to buy in Oklahoma to run a longline. Jeez, why am I still wasting my time here. It's the same distance to MO or KS from my house.

Kevin, what do YOU dictate as a longline?

50 traps over a 50 mile line?
100 traps over a 100 mile line?
200+ traps over 200+ miles of line?

IF, I were to run a longline next season it would encompass 50-100 traps over probably 40-75 miles. Smaller than most, but bigger than some. To me, that would be longlining. Might be small potatoes to somebody else.

Starting a savings account for fuel is a good idea. I have actually kicked it around in my head before.

Desert Trapper, if I was doing it for the money I probably wouldn't be doing it. Plus, I am still honing my skills, so I don't expect a big return yet.

Thanks again everybody. Let's hear some more comments if you've got 'em.

Mike

#14290 - 05/01/06 08:11 PM Re: Longlining Expenses
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I think a longline is different depending on your time to trap. Maybe a person gets up at two in the AM and runs traps till six AM and goes to work. After work checks the rest of line till eight or nine PM, depending on catch and what needs to be done before calling it quits. This is demanding if you want to keep it up all season. This cannot cover the ground a true longline could, but to me is a longline if it's all you can possibly do in a day.

#25406 - 10/17/17 12:35 PM Re: Longlining Expenses [Re: Mike McChurin]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.