Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14337 - 04/17/09 06:25 AM Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A while back I was going to start a thread, "Planning/organizing and out-of-state trapline". The more I thought about it, the more questions/problems and different little scenarios I came up with, and the more complicated the process becomes. Instead of bouncing back and forth from each little "situation", what I'd like to do is break it down into separate topics, and we'll start a thread for each one. It's the middle of April, fur season is closed, we've got 6 months to get this right. Hopefully when we're finished, we'll end up with a series of threads that address everything important.

I'm going to lay down some guidelines, to help keep everyone in the same mindset. And to make this discussion interesting to the majority of us, who also have a regular job, let's just say I've (you, too) got 2 weeks of vacation time, and I want to go trapping, someplace new. The new trapline is 500 miles from home, (no forgetting essentials and running back home to get them). And for this discussion, let's assume I know my target animal, I have the equipment, and I'm confident that I can catch my target. So it really shouldn't make any difference if I head North, South, East or West, or if I target mink or coyotes, or any other furbearer.

One major problem I see is finding lodging. In a couple days I'll start a new thread: "Out-of State Trapline #3: Lodging". But let's trouble-shoot for now.

Besides lodging, tell me what other potential problems I need to be aware of, or anything else I need to know before heading for parts unknown. And we'll start new threads, as new topics come along. smile

#14338 - 04/17/09 07:01 AM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
A check list is a necessity.Like you said you can't run home because you forgot something.

#14339 - 04/17/09 07:49 AM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
Just as important as lodging and kind of goes hand in hand...is where will you process fur or can you at lodging? Where can you dispose of carcasses? Can a large freezer be obtained or rented? Is there a local furbuyer to sell green or on the carcass? Some important things to think about for an out of state trip.

#14340 - 04/17/09 07:59 AM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
A check list is certainly essential. I update mine annually to add new items and remove items I no longer use or need.

Of course you'll need lodging, and as noted above, a place to process your fur.

But... you'll need a place (places) to trap. Public ground may be one option. Private land is another but you'll need to secure permission.

Hal

#14341 - 04/17/09 05:18 PM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
jdpaint23 Offline

Loc: ny
Trapping regulations and typical weather patterns for the area.

#14342 - 04/17/09 06:15 PM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
arrowhead Offline

Loc: north carolina
Are fur prices high enough to justify the trip!

#14343 - 04/18/09 05:57 AM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
An aside:

I wonder if folks who go out of state to hunt, say deer or elk for example, ask themselves if the price of deer or elk meat is high enough to justify the trip.

Hal

#14344 - 04/18/09 06:40 AM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
It gets complicated doesn't it? I guess I should have pointed out that most everything we'll come up with "trouble shooting an out of state line", will also be useful even when we're trapping locally, too.

We've got a few new topics, so far.

Before I forget, one other thing, a guy would want to make a very accurate list/map of set locations. In a strange area, it'd be very easy to lose a set. It'd be good to have locations on GPS and paper. smile

What else? smile

#14345 - 04/18/09 12:18 PM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Tim-

Food (supply & or storage) can be an issue in a number of ways depending on type of line, lodging, & location.

Mechanical issues would be another concern. Vehicles/transportation specifically- truck, trailer, quad, boat (motor) etc. depending on type of line (location too).

Medical may be another issue depeding upon medications or ones other health needs.

Regards,

#14346 - 04/18/09 01:55 PM Re: Trouble-Shooting an Out-of-State Trapline.
dodgetrapper Offline

Loc: Virginia
Emergency contacts might be hand in hand with medical. Check in with someone every so often so that they know your not laying in the ditch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.