Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#14420 - 09/21/09 07:27 AM Re: Mink question. It's eyes? Or it's nose?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
My wife's department is in the process of training a Belgian Malinois and I have sat in on a few sessions and talked at length with the trainers. Dogs do not smell a corpse underwater. They smell the gasses that have resulted from decomposition and risen to the surface. The dog will signal it's detection of the decomp and divers will finish the search taking into consideration water currents etc.

So was the mink performing the tasks of both dog and diver? Following a scent trail to the general location of the fish then diving and visually locating and retrieving it? I find this a very likely series of events.

#14421 - 09/21/09 08:30 AM Re: Mink question. It's eyes? Or it's nose?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Mercy!! I envisioned a much smaller pool. I very much believe that animals can smell decomposition gases that float/rise to the surface and become airborne. That said, I wonder what the reaction is if water current is carrying the odor in one direction, yet the wind might be blowing in the opposite direction.

Hal

#14422 - 09/22/09 08:01 AM Re: Mink question. It's eyes? Or it's nose?
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
Kinda like a train going West with a Westerly wind?

#14423 - 09/22/09 09:05 AM Re: Mink question. It's eyes? Or it's nose?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Not at all.

It's excatly like the water current carrying the odor one way, and then the air current carrying it another. We're dealing with two different odor transport systems here, air and water.

Hal

#27342 - 01/08/20 10:14 AM Re: Mink question. It's eyes? Or it's nose? [Re: redsnow]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.