Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#14622 - 08/28/09 11:35 AM Re: Children and trapping - dispatching animals
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
Here is a reduced size of photo. I learned something new today! I also wanted to add that my daughter and I have never had a conversation about dispatching animals.

#14623 - 08/29/09 07:08 AM Re: Children and trapping - dispatching animals
barkspud Offline

Loc: downeast maine
Here in Maine kids can't hunt till they turn 10. I don't agree with that. I grew up in the woods and we hunted everything going. took my first deer when was 8 we hunted to fill freezer and that was it. When my grandfather was a kid he picked bottles or caught and sold pickeral and for pickeling. Them few pennies he got would take to the local hardware store. The guy would break open a box and sell him 22 shells buy the shell. them couple shells would put dinner on table. Today in this modern world it different. My 5 year old daughter has done well with squirrels and cow birds. Got quite a bunch so far and can't wait till she turns 10 to be able to hunt. She will be on my line with me when she can this year. I have always been conserned when my kids make there fist kill. How they would react to taking life even though they have seen it and been around it since born. I never discussed it with them just hears the gun there's the critter shoot it. Now I have grand children on the way from my son and can't wait to take them.

#14624 - 08/30/09 07:01 AM Re: Children and trapping - dispatching animals
nod Offline

Loc: england (UK)
Im only 25 myself i'm only a youngster to some of u guys, my eldest started coming out with me when he was 2, only the mole traps then, now he's nearly 4 he's out with me every chance he gets, either at moles rabbits or foxes trapping or shooting hopefully when he grows up he will become part of the business and nearly as good as me laugh

#14625 - 08/31/09 04:18 PM Re: Children and trapping - dispatching animals
Carl Russell Offline

Loc: Vermont
I am new to this forum, and pretty new to trapping, other than cage trapping vermin over the years. The reason I am now taking up trapping, other than to diversify my land-based livelihood, is because my boys 5 & 7 are wicked into it.

The older one has been using rat traps, building #4 dead-falls, and cage traps for a couple of years now. He has a real knack for it. We are all intrigued by the challenge of reading sign, understanding habits, and habitat, and trying to catch a target animal.

Last year we caught 5, count 'em, five mink out of our chicken coop. They were just visiting, eating eggs, and didn't touch a feather on a single chicken. Anyway the first one we caught they wanted to see me kill him.

I have to say that I have been raising and slaughtering all of the animals I eat for over twenty years, so the "animals have to die for us to live" thing, is not new to them. That being said I hadn't done an execution in front of them before, but it is as Hal said, I just did what I would have done even if they weren't watching.

They were basically really interested in where the bullet had gone in, and why was he twitching, and whether he was really dead. They didn't show any significant emotion.

Over the years I have found that kids tend to take killing much better than grown-ups who have never been exposed.

I think the main thing is that these kids should understand that it is an important task to kill an animal humanely. They should also have a sense of the value of the animal's life, and if they are sensitive to that, that is OK in my mind, even good actually.

I don't think you are crazy to be concerned. But if you are uncomfortable then it probably won't be a good experience for any of you.

Thanks for the good discussion. I hope to join in on a few more.

Take care, Carl

#14626 - 08/31/09 10:20 PM Re: Children and trapping - dispatching animals
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
This is LD's wife. Growing up I understood that meat came from the grocery store, fish were square, and traps had big sharp teeth that would chop off the leg of any animal that stepped in it. However after marrying the redneck that calls himself my husband and listening to him explain the whys and hows of wildlife management I understand the role trapping and hunting play in it. I've seen a lot of things that would have been absolutely grotesques without that knowledge. I've even killed and cleaned my own deer!

If a person is shown it's ok, it will not be an issue. That's one reason our children don't watch movies, such as Bambi, that depict incorrect stereotypes about hunting and trapping. Your children will follow your example.

Tiff

#14627 - 09/01/09 11:22 AM Re: Children and trapping - dispatching animals
trapheadsr Offline

Loc: broome co ny
ive been taking my son trapping/hunting as soon as he started walking and showed some interest.he will be 11 next month and he has never questioned the killing of trapped game or the shooting of hunted animals.he just excepted it as part of life.ive told him all the reasons why and ive told him not to take the killing of a animal for granted and or for fun.he thinks 'bunny huggers'are whackos and so dont i.

#27340 - 01/08/20 10:14 AM Re: Children and trapping - dispatching animals [Re: BGHUNTER00]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.