Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14883 - 10/26/06 02:51 PM Road Kills -- In Season.
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
In your state, are you allowed to possess road killed animals inside the harvesting season. (Provided of course you have the proper licenses.)

quest -- Hal

#14884 - 10/26/06 03:03 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
Mike72 Offline

Loc: ny
Hal,
I just got off the phone with DEC here in NY.
The run of the mill coon,fox(,gray or red)
mink, partridge,squirrel,rabbit,possum,skunk roadkill can all be kept within season, providing you have a
valid hunting/trapping license.(drivers license wouldn't hurt either laugh )
Coyotes,beaver,fisher,bobcats, statewide, and otters in the north.(They are protected in southeastern NY). These need DEC pelt tags.
I did'nt question the pine marten.
Now any of the above species also need to be within season.
I also did not question big game animals ie. bear and deer.
Mike

#14885 - 10/26/06 03:12 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Thanks. I am primarily concerned with furbearers. I should have been more specific.

However, the animals for which you need tags -- can you pick them up and get them tagged?

smile -- Hal

#14886 - 10/26/06 03:19 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
Mike72 Offline

Loc: ny
Hal,
The dec folks are have treated me good when it comes to honest possession, in my experiences with them. Anything that I have taken to the regional office to get tagged, they've either helped me out, or took possession of, without further incident. I've even been given "extra" tags for future coyote takes. All the DEC was really concerned with is numbers.
I seen a pine marten get hit, and attempted to get it tagged for possession, but they kept it.
Fair enough.
If I told them it was hit 150 miles north where there was a season, I probably could have held on the critter, but thats not how the deal went down.
Mike

#14887 - 10/26/06 03:25 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
Steve Offline

Loc: Milton, Indiana
Hal ... don't know if this helps ... but here in Indiana as a deputy sheriff I issued tags for road killed deer as a part of my regular duties. No hunting license was required once the tag was issued. If the driver of the vehicle who hit the deer did not want the carcass ... we had a waiting list of people who did want a deer. Furbearers only need to be in season and the holder have a valid hunting license, but no need to go through any enforcement agency in their case.

Steve

#14888 - 10/26/06 05:43 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
Brad Heusterberg Offline

Loc: Stevens Point, WI
It's illegal in WI to pick road kill furbearers up of the road. Im not sure why this is, In my opion they might as well let someone take them instead of letting them rot away.

Brad

#14889 - 10/26/06 07:43 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
PENNSYLVANIA,
Holders of a valid furtakers license may take possesion of a
furbearer killed on a highway, except for bobcats, fishers or
river otters.

" these three are protected animals in Pa.unless your lucky enough to get a bobcat permit"

So the answer is yes.

#14890 - 10/26/06 07:47 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
mominker Offline

Loc: Missouri
In MO, as was explained to me a couple of years ago by our local conservation agent, if I find a road kill bobcat or otter (these have to be tagged in MO), I have to call him and get "permission" to pick it up. During the call, I inform him what is killed and where.

#14891 - 10/26/06 11:30 PM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
minker 1942 Offline

Loc: kentucky
hal i need to check on that first before i stick my fist in my mouth.

#14892 - 10/27/06 01:50 AM Re: Road Kills -- In Season.
trapperjerry47 Offline

Loc: Rochester,Minnesota
Minnesota
A person who performs a service by recovering and perserving the pelt of a protected furbearer(except muskrat)that was accidentally killed or lawfully killed while doing damage may be entitled to a pelting fee of up to 50 percent of the proceeds from the sale of the pelt not to exceed $25.00 per pelt.Contact local DNR conservation officer within 24 hours for authorization to pelt the anaimal
No person may possess,transport,or pelt a fisher,otter,pine marten,fox,bobcat,lynx or gray wolf that was accidentally killed except when authorized by a conservation officer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.