Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15443 - 05/21/09 06:39 AM Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Another off-shoot from the "Trouble shooting an out-of-state trapline" thread. The same guidelines apply, 500+ miles from home, 2 weeks, USA/Canada. It's pretty simple, if a guy is going to run a trapline, he needs some acreage, a place to trap.

Two weeks is not a long time. Especially if you're trying to gain permission to trap on private land. You'd need to find the landowner/farmer, (sometimes that's a chore itself), you'll need to know the property lines (time consuming). Going into a new territory, I've just about eliminated the idea of asking for permission on private land. As a primary way of gaining realestate, anyway. It would be different if a guy could devote a week before season to finding property. Or if a feller was dealing with 10,000 acre properties, it'd probably be worthwhile to spend an hour or 2 trying to get permission. Until you knock on the door and ask, you don't know, the farm may only be 25 acres, or it may be leased/rented. Or the folks living in the "farm house", may be the landowner's grand-daughter's family, and unable give you a yes or no. You know how farmers are, high dollar equipment, tools, trucks, 4-wheelers, etc setting all over the place, keys in the ignition on all of them. Fall/winter are busy times for farmers, I just see too many problems, too much hassle, too many refusals. I'm concentrating on state/national forest lands, timber company properties, wildlife management areas, etc. Some states have a bunch of public use areas, others have very little. What else should a guy look for? Or, is it easier to gain written permission to trap private land in different areas of the country? smile

#15444 - 05/22/09 12:54 PM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
NE Coon Offline

Loc: Springfield, Nebraska
If you are planning on making this trip every year, start out by trapping public land the first year and then while you are out there take a couple of hours every other day and scout for some private land. If this turns out to be an annual trip then in 3-5 years you could have some private land locked up. I know that you would rather be trapping during this two weeks but a little time put into finding private ground will pay off down the road.

#15445 - 05/22/09 09:02 PM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
One of the problems I ran into last year with my Maryland trip is that the WMA's all have different regulations. Some you have to have a permit, some are leased. To apply for a permit you have to send in for it only in Month X for WMA 1, and Month Q for WMA 2, etc... etc...

Do your homework online well in advance so that you know your regulations, limits, which zone you may be in (as this may affect what you can legally trap), etc...

Also, programs like Google Earth are very handy for identifying areas to trap, but they don't replace old fashioned foot work.

#15446 - 05/31/09 07:39 AM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Unless you have a large tract of public land that you know you can trap, I don't think it would be feasible to go into an area "cold" and try to get permission lined up.

I think the best thing is if you can find a "contact" in the area, like a landowner who is having animal problems. If you can do this ahead of time, your contact may be able to get other folks in the area who are having similar problems, to let you trap. You might be able to take care of the initial contacts over the telephone.

Hal

#15447 - 06/03/09 02:06 PM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
I agree with Hal, I believe you need a contact person, and you need to take some serious time in the off season to verify that there is a fur bearer behind every tree. One of the questions I ask agreeable land owners while I am there is if anyone else is using this land while I would be there. My personal bad experience came during one season where I had access to thousands of bottom land river acres and I found a lot of sign. THe fur was in the bag right? wrong. WHat happened is during my visit there the owner allowed duck and goose hunters free access as well. I had traps run over, stolen, and so on. The increased activity on the weekends made a direct impact on my fur catch as I would pick up more fur during the middle of the week when it came to coyotes and fox. What appeared on the surface as a sure thing turned out to be a lesson in life. Do your homework, obtain platbooks and make lots of phone calls, ask lots of questions about your access and others, and above all things take an extra week during the off season to verify game, and pick up a spot or two while you are there.

#15448 - 06/03/09 02:26 PM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
Another thought along this topic is during your pre scouting I believe with todays tech. is to set up a GPS route while you are visiting during the off season. If you see a spot that is good then punch it in the GPS and mark it. You can also keep a note pad along to refresh your memory of what you seen such as Trail #1 set 13 lots of coyote sign, set 14 good cat spot and so on and you will find that this will help refresh your gray matter. You will find that some spots may not have sign on it when you get there in the fall, but this is a big time saver to jump in and start setting traps on day 1. I suggest you have 2-4 potential traplines marked on your GPS for trap reset and this varies depending on your length of stay. I try and get all of my traps placed out in 3 days time and then start making adjustments by day 6. I dont want to get off the subject anymore than this, I just think the GPS during a pre scouting trip to new real estate is vital.

#15449 - 06/05/09 06:52 AM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I agree, you've got to have at least a little ground lined-up before leaving home. Chances are for most of us, that's going to be national forest/WMA land. Something else that I'm thinking about, I know several folks that head out of state to hunt. A friend of mine and a bunch of his guys have a place leased. It's not really where I wanted to trap, but if it would be, I'd at least have my initial contact. I've never tried it, but if you could find an outfitter that caters to turkey/small game, even big game hunters, there's a good chance that they would let a guy remove a few predators. Or know of someone that needs something removed. Never hurts to ask, and they might even have an empty "deer shack" during the off season. smile

#15450 - 06/25/09 11:15 AM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
BruceT Offline

Loc: Northern Maine
Get up with another trapper from the area of the state you want to trap.

#15451 - 06/27/09 10:39 AM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
I can't stand to see you struggle any longer.

Get on your computer and do a search for what state you want to trap In. Then you should be able break it down by county. Once you do this do a search for that counties Ag extension agent.Explaine what you are looking for. This Office will have all the Info you need on possible trapping opportunities.
I have sent 3 trappers south with this Info and they have more ground then they can handle. And all the land owner contacts are already done before they leave. You need to be able to catch BEAVER that will open the doors.

This very simple and It can all be done behind the computer screen and by phone.

#15452 - 06/27/09 11:38 AM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Adding to Beavs post a little:

Many counties/twps. also have an online searchable database of properties, landowners (taxpayer). Some even have plat, plot & other maps, contact info/addresses, etc.. Heres one to try- https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/login.aspx
There are others. Some municipalities handle it "in house".

I also agree that the Ag Agents will have a grasp of who the major landowners are, and their issues.

Regards,

#27338 - 01/08/20 10:14 AM Re: Out-of State Trapline: Finding Real-Estate [Re: redsnow]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.