Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15585 - 04/07/06 06:47 AM Cleaning Skulls
WayneAmerica Offline

Loc: Nebraska
What's the best way to clean skulls?

Thanks.

#15586 - 04/07/06 10:23 AM Re: Cleaning Skulls
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I boil mine. Then soak in peroxide mixture.

I boil for about 15 minutes, then remove the skull with tongs and remove as much meat as possible. I will seperate the bottom jaw after the first boil and often it will clean up good as is. The main skull will get boiled for another 15 minutes or so and then more meat removed. Carefull with the boiling as you can over do it. Lastly I take the skulls to the car wash to clean the brain/sinus cavity and then they get soaked in my peroxide solution. 4 parts water/1 part peroxide.

RO smile

#15587 - 04/07/06 02:07 PM Re: Cleaning Skulls
WayneAmerica Offline

Can do... is there anything to add to the boiling water to help loosen up the meat? Or does the boiling itself take care of it?

I think I'll use my extra turkey frying pot for that too...

Thanks!

#15588 - 04/07/06 03:51 PM Re: Cleaning Skulls
RiverOtter Offline

Plain water is fine.

There will be some cartilage type stuff left in some of the nooks and cranny's that is near impossible to remove. Don't get too worried about it and try to boil it away, because the peroxide soak will make that stuff much easier to remove after.

RO smile

#15589 - 04/07/06 05:23 PM Re: Cleaning Skulls
WayneAmerica Offline

Thanks again!

#15590 - 04/07/06 06:34 PM Re: Cleaning Skulls
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I'm lazy. I built a chicken wire cage a couple of feet long and eight or nine inches in diameter. After spring finally gets here, I set my frozen skulls into the cage and wire the end shut. The cage is fastened up in a tree in the rear yard. As soon as those skulls start to thaw, the flies home right in on them. The magots do a fine job on them, inside and out. After the leaves drop, the skulls get sun bleached all winter. I just brush them up with an old tooth brush. I don't go for that plaster white look. I like mine to look like real bone. I once boiled a porcipine skull and I boiled the teeth right out of it. Didn't know what they were at first. The bottom ones are as long as the lower jaw bone is. Top ones orginate somewhere back there too. I like my magot method better. Frank. cool

#15591 - 04/08/06 10:33 AM Re: Cleaning Skulls
DoverDave Offline

Loc: Oxford, PA
I'm ignorant about this skull thing. What is the purpose of keeping the skulls?

#15592 - 04/08/06 04:01 PM Re: Cleaning Skulls
RiverOtter Offline

I collect samples from different species as a hobby mainly. I have sold some and custom bleached some for people(mostly cougar and bear), but mainly I just do it as a past time.

RO smile

#15593 - 04/08/06 05:20 PM Re: Cleaning Skulls
WayneAmerica Offline

Thanks guys... the land I just purchased has a run down place with a lot of old rabbit cages... I think I'm going to use the "outdoor" method (save my extra frying pot).

#15594 - 04/08/06 10:40 PM Re: Cleaning Skulls
RiverOtter Offline

Get back to us with the outdoor method.

I started out the "easy" way and did not like the end product. One tip I will give you for the outdoor method is to keep the skull out of the sun as it will bake the crud into the bone and stain the skull. It also takes a looong time and if you want to bring the skull into your house eventually, you will likely end up boiling it anyway to get rid of the left over smell.

RO smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.