Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15755 - 09/04/10 11:36 AM Re: How many traps on your line?
Higgs-Boson Offline

Loc: Newberry, Michigan
Last year I ran about 28-32 coyote sets. This year I am hoping to push that number to 50 traps, pulling at least one coyote a day. I didnt set for any other animals until Dec 1st which then I pulled all the coyote sets and put in 12 Fisher/Marten sets. With a 12 hour work day plus trapping, I was glad to have a furrier to help me along.

#15756 - 09/04/10 12:20 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Does one snare count as a trap? If so, lots of guys around here set hundreds of traps.

A bait station can have 10 snares around it ....

#15757 - 09/04/10 05:08 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
No. One snare does not count as a trap. For cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

Hal

#15758 - 09/04/10 05:28 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
musher Online   content

So .... how many snares equals a trap? wink

#15759 - 09/04/10 06:31 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA

Hal

#15760 - 09/04/10 06:45 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
musher Online   content

Given how divinely snares work, I'd have said 1.68. smile

In all seriousness, locations are more important than trap numbers. All things being equal ,which they rarely are, a guy with 10 bait stations does better than a guy with five. Having two foot holds at a location is better than one in many instances.

But as many have written quality is more important than quantity.

One of the best pieces of trapping advice I read goes something like this: Trapping 100 fox is easy. Do you know of one sure fire place you can catch one? Just find 99 other places like that and you'll have your hundred.

#15761 - 09/04/10 11:55 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
you must of stumbled across my post from last season.The water traps were all used I am not scared to load up a stream for Mink.especially if it is a new location. I will learn the new area then thin my sets out the following year.as per my experiences dictate. on the land traps only thirty percent actually saw dirt.I got to the point wher they all needed treated and did it all at once.During trapping season I do run hard and low on sleep.especially during our 50 day Mink season.

#15762 - 09/05/10 06:33 AM Re: How many traps on your line?
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
No, with my comment above, I was thinking foot traps only, on a 24 hour check. Sure, the guys running body-grips for marten/fisher, in cold weather conditions, on a 72 or 96 hour check could handle a pile of traps. Especially if you could check 3/4's of them from the truck/snow machine/dog sled, etc. smile

Snares, and trapping road culverts. If a guy would be in the right area, you could set a lot of hardware along 100 miles of road. smile

#15763 - 09/05/10 07:30 AM Re: How many traps on your line?
SnowraT Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
It is just too hard to judge this one. I run alot of traps especially on my rat line. In quite a few places there will be 4 or 5 underwater bank holes, and a couple crawl outs in 15 feet of bank. I'll set each hole at the bank with a 110, and depending maybe a couple out further in the run, as well as a couple stoploss #1's in the crawl outs. So in that 15 feet of bank I've got the potential to set say 10 traps. My system is take the cream in two checks, maybe three and pull and move, want them fast. Thing is though that in that same stretch of 15 feet 3 or 4 110's over the holes will catch the same rats, it just takes longer as in days checked (days enjoyed). Same result with less traps just more days checked. With my system I pile them up quick, but you have to be careful. Meaning as soon as the catch drops off MOVE since first I don't want to catch them all, leave some for seed. Second is sure I could leave them for a couple more days but whats the point ? You can't catch whats not there anymore right ? Just getting back into trapping just do what you have time for, relax, and ENJOY ! Mix it up a bit too, a couple rat sets, a couple for coon, some fox sets...it really keeps it intresting. I admit for myself it does get a bit tedious putting 110, after 110 over holes over and over.

#15764 - 09/05/10 08:16 AM Re: How many traps on your line?
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
I'm running 'bout 80 traps at a time both land and water. Now as for how many are water and how many are land, I use what traps I have available when I need them and can use them. The only traps I have that are only water use as per NY regs are the 280's, 330's and a couple #4 coils.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.