Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15745 - 09/02/10 05:17 PM How many traps on your line?
AlexW. Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hello All,

I am new to the Forum's and have been truly amazed at the wealth of information, Thank you Hal.

I am coming back to trapping after a few years and unfortunately sold most of my traps. However I didn't really have all that many to begin with.

The question is: how many traps are you running at a time. I have been reading posts and one poster said they had 200 water and 175 canine traps. This seams like a HUGE number to me but maybe that's normal.

Thanks,
AlexW.

#15746 - 09/02/10 05:50 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
Eatsleeptrap Offline

Loc: North Dakota
It varies. I am fortunate this year to have a fairly long line planned. In past years, I had to be at work at 0730 and absolutely could not smell anything like skunk, which meant a stop back at home before work, which in turn limited the number of sets I could check and remake daily. I tried to keep it at a dozen sets aimed at coon and a dozen canine sets. This year, I am fortunate to have found a job where my boss traps as well. I may shoot for 2 dozen of each coon and canine. I will be able to pull into a shop with my catch with me and if I smell a little like skunk, the boss will just smile and go look in my pickup to see what I caught.

#15747 - 09/02/10 06:20 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It's really hard to come up with a figure for "normal" trap ownership. 200 water traps and 175 land traps is a lot of traps. I reckon a man could "accumulate" that many traps over a life time of trapping, but you sure don't need that many to start out with.

You're welcome.

Hal

#15748 - 09/02/10 07:25 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
You don't need any where near that many traps.

A couple dz will keep you busy. Especially if they are set in the right places.

Most trappers starting out or over. Would benefit greatly by spending a whole lot less on traps and a great deal more on educational material.

Don't forget the fur handling part either. As country buyers become less common than Marten in Ohio. You need to have a plan on what to do with your catch.

#15749 - 09/03/10 02:07 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
SnowraT Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Guess it mostly depends on what you want to do, and how much time you have ? If your out to just have a good time anywhere from 1/2 doz. to a couple dozen should do it. If you've got the time, and the drive 200 water, and 175 land traps isn't out of the question. For myself being laid off this year I've got the time, and a VERY understanding wife. Once I get rolling I'll have about 175 in the water, and another 50 on land. It's about all I can handle, and you have to consider night hours in the fur shed, where and when to sell...all that,...expenses... OH ! for my land traps it may sound like a bunch but it's really not since I always double set areas, so out of 50 traps thats only 25 stops or less. Like I said it all comes down to what you want to do, and your time, like was mentioned before a couple good video's or books will help greatly. Sure alot of traps out helps with the catch, but they dont do much good in poor spots, or in the back of the truck. I can pile up alot of rats with 2 doz. traps in the right spots

#15750 - 09/03/10 03:50 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
"If you've got the time, and the drive 200 water, and 175 land traps isn't out of the question."

It may not be out of the question but it is irrational to think that that amount of hardware can be tended and kept operational for any amount of time on a 24hr check.

Just take a look at the land trap number. Assuming 2 traps per location and 5 minuets to check a location. That's a over 7 hours on them alone.

That doesn't account for drive time, remakes, handling the catch and any number of other things that will need to be done.

Now you have those 200 water traps to take care of....

Don't kid yourself.

It does not take a huge amount of traps to make very respectable catches

#15751 - 09/03/10 05:10 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
Stone Knife Offline

Loc: new york
My son and I check our set before work and school so one dozen land sets are what works for us. We try to stay in a certain area then move to a different one. Keeping things close works out best, it gives us time to check and skin a few animals first thing in the morning.

#15752 - 09/03/10 06:33 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
nlcc Offline

Loc: mb
I would not get to wild with traps ( on a daily check)if you are just starting back in the game..just remember you got to plan and be able to handle the fur ...whether its rough skinning and freezing to put up at a later date or complete put up.Or sale in the round to a furbuyer.

I.M.H.O you would be better to have a reasonable daily average .

#15753 - 09/03/10 07:51 PM Re: How many traps on your line?
SnowraT Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Ric, I didn't mean it to sound like I was giveing him advice to attempt to run that many. My water line is a river course I'm dropped off at one point, and then picked up down river. Takes awhile to get everything set and going. for rats. Then I take time to set land sets on the drive route to the river to check on my way in the dark. Also work to get a land line set from my pick up point on the river to home so I'm not driveing for nothing...so I end up with sort of a circle route. I rough skin and freeze everything until later. It's a HUGE amount of work and I'm good for maybe two line moves so last about 10 days to two weeks at that pace. From there i slow down and run short lines close to home, and thaw and handle fur. That is if nothing goes wrong like truck broke down, or weather. I go fast and hard for a couple weeks, and then coast. Thats just what i do, for the average guy out to have fun that pace is NOT FUN and shouldn't be tried. Sorry if I was mis-understood, and you are 100% right it doesn't take alot of traps to bring in a big catch. I should also mention that i have access to a wlk in freezer for anything I don't get skinned and froze. Thought by saying at the end that i can pile up a bunch of rats with 2 doz. traps in good places covered long line vs out for fun and a good catch with less traps

#15754 - 09/04/10 11:32 AM Re: How many traps on your line?
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
There's no way we can tell you what's the "normal" number of traps to use. Everyone has obligations, in one way or another. Weather it'd be school, a job or family. The amount of time you have is going to be the main thing, and it depends on what you're trapping too.

If you'd be in a good muskrat area, it wouldn't be out of the question to have a dozen or more traps set along 100 yards of creek. A dozen traps set for coyotes in a 100 yard area would be foolish, in my opinion. (Unless you'd have a super hot bait station, and a pile of coyotes.)

Above Ric was getting at this point, I'd rather have 20 or 25 good sets, properly tended and working, than I would 100 crappy sets, that may or may not work. Add in the weather, deer, livestock, skunks, possums, etc. It takes time. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.