Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1578 - 06/19/14 10:15 PM Drag chain lenght/weight
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
I have a lot of tractor/trailer tire chains I would like to use as drag chains this coming year and I need some advice as to how much weight and length I need to use. I will be mostly using the chain for coon drags in hard bottom creeks but would like some input for canines also. The chain links are 2 1/2" long, 1" wide & 1/4" diameter. Every thing I've read about drag chains indictate at least 6' of chain, if I do that I would have about 8 to 10 pounds of chain for each drag. The line I am going to run this coming season involves a lot of walking so weight is a factor. I'm thinking 2 to 3' of chain from the drag, 2 to 3' of 3/32 cable to the trap? Or some variation of chain/cable to provide the proper lenght/ weight to hold the drag down and tangle as quick and often as possible.

#1579 - 06/20/14 07:29 AM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
The weight of the chain on a drag (grapple) does not affect the function of the grapple very much. It's the length that matters. A longer chain gives the grapple more opportunity to hang up as the animal leaves the set. As much as I admire recycled and repurposed materials, I'm afraid the chain you have is just too heavy to carry around, as you noted. Cable on a grapple is not going to be much fun to handle after a couple of catches leaves it kinked and twisted.

If it's any consolation, I made a bunch of 8-foot grapple chains out of #3 machine chain one time. Even that is a little heavy to carry around. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and buy some chain. If you can find a large size twin loop chain, that would be best.

Hal

#1580 - 06/20/14 08:42 PM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Describe your creeks. How wide? How deep? Do you have beaver and otter, in the same creeks?

What kind of drag/grapple are you planning to use?

How much brush/timber?

Without seeing it first hand, it's hard to say.

If you can, it'd be best to drown the animal at the set. ???

#1581 - 06/27/14 06:23 PM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Richard2 Offline

Thanks Hal, I'll follow your advice and get some large twin loop.

#1582 - 06/27/14 06:48 PM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Richard2 Offline

The creeks I want to use the drags on are in the northern WV panhandle & south western Pa. They have hard rock bottoms, mostly mature timber and some brush on the banks but not heavy. The streams wind down small valleys so the banks are mountains on one side and small flats on the other. The grapples are Hal's fox & coyote drags.

#1583 - 06/27/14 06:52 PM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Richard2 Offline

Sorry, there are no beaver nor otter that I could find any evidence of. The streams are shallow, 3 to 12 inches deep and vary in width from 10 to 30 feet. There are very very few places for drowing set ups.

#1584 - 06/28/14 08:15 AM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Ric Online   content

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Don't skimp on chain length in the situation you describe. Twin loop chain will work just fine and is less expensive than any welded chain.I find " large size twin loop" to be a little ambiguous :-). Made up a bunch of "coon" drags a while back and used #1 twin loop that has a 155 lb WLL and weighs 30 lbs per 100'

#1585 - 07/01/14 08:23 PM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Richard2 Offline

Thanks Ric, I relieze 'large twin loop' is very unclear, I read Hals description of chain nominclature by different manufactures/retailers in the archives and got a headache trying to figure out what I really wanted. Seems like everybody calls each size something different. Your size and weight per 100 ft is something I can understand. I relize length is going to vary widely by terrain but can you give me some kind of idea as to maximum workable/sensible length? Thanks, Richard

#1586 - 07/02/14 02:14 PM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I didn't mean to confuse the issue. That chain is trade size #1. I use 8' lengths (three 32" sections joined with two box swivels.) -- Hal

#1587 - 07/07/14 12:46 PM Re: Drag chain lenght/weight
Richard2 Offline

Thanks Hal, you most certainly did not confuse the issue, you clarified it. Now I know exactly what I need and how to rig it. Many thanks.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.