Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15887 - 05/16/09 07:34 AM Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Another topic from the "Trouble shooting an out-of-state trapline" thread. The same guidelines apply, 500+ miles from home, 2 weeks, USA/Canada. wink

This is a learning experience for me, if you haven't noticed, I'm serious about this little operation, hopefully a few other folks are too. This a fairly big undertaking, a few minor details (or stuff left behind) could mean the difference, between an enjoyable trip and something you'd rather forget.

It's possible a guy could find a local fur buyer? If a guy would have access to a freezer, you could skin the catch and freeze the pelt, and then finish it at home. Depending on what you'd be trapping.

I can think of a few things I'd take along, like my knives, sharpener, gambrel, plastic bags, rope, gloves, paper towels, bandages, etc. An 8 X 10 tarp would come in handy. Unless you're driving an 18-wheeler, you just can't take everything. What else do I need? Or need to know? I'm asking you guys, how do you take care of your animals/pelts? What are other options? smile

#15888 - 05/16/09 03:11 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Given the context of the present fur market, I think that finding local fur buyers might be tougher next year.

For skinning it is always best to have your own stuff. I've done it using other trappers' equipment and it feels "funny" and that slows me down.

I would have a freezer on a trailer. I would then freeze the skinned hides for further processing at home. That way I have more trapping time.

You must remember that you'll have more stuff coming back home than you did when you went down. Unprocessed skins also take up less room than finished fur.

Raid or another bug killer is a good item to have. Fleas are a pain!

#15889 - 05/21/09 01:24 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
NE Coon Offline

Loc: Springfield, Nebraska
"I would think a skinning facility and pelt storage would be a large part in deciding. Why trap for two weeks and have no place to process fur and maybe even have a chance at it spoiling. I know up north that isn't as big a problem but down south I'm sure it is. What would be your options of storing green pelts without a freezer? Coolers with ice or dry ice?"

#15890 - 05/22/09 12:02 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
I know of a man who heads to western Ks. every year for cat, beaver, and coon trapping. He found a storage facility near a cheap rent by the week motel. He pays rent on a RV/Boat storage because he can get electricity on this rental and simply plugs in his freezer and adds an electric heater while he skins, fleshes his pelts and the end of each day. I am not saying every rental owner wants this, but it sounded like a good idea if it can be done. He lays down cardboard and old carpet down and clean up is a snap. He said it is like having your own shop!

#15891 - 05/28/09 06:35 AM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
redsnow Online   content

Dry ice would work, but is it readily available? Expensive? The local meat plant uses dry ice, but they don't sell it to the public. Search "dry ice" or CO2. Here's an interesting link with some practical info: http://www.granthagbergco.com/dryice.html A cubic foot of dry ice weighs 50+ pounds, and should last 4 to 5 days.

Storing a fresh pelt with regular (frozen H2O) ice in an ice chest, would be similar to storing it in the fridge. I've kept pelts in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days with no problems. That would be ok for a weekend trip. I really don't know long you could keep a pelt on ice before it spoils? It would be similar to keeping a piece of fresh meat, if you'd keep it buried in the ice and the lid closed, a week would be pushing its lifespan. Warm weather, opening and closing the lid, the original condition of the pelt, etc. will all affect it's lifespan and lessen it's value. So that's not going to work, for 2 weeks anyway.

Another option would be a propane gas freezer. Search "propane freezer". That would make a guy's outfit "self-contained", but they're expensive. Otherwise we're going to be tied to an outlet. Or a small power-unit.

Above I listed a tarp and plastic bags, it would be good to have a big sheet of plastic too. If a guy is forced to skin outside in bad weather, you can always find a tree where you could fashion a lean-too, with a rope and a couple trap stakes. Personally, I don't think it would be practical to figure on fleshing/drying pelts while I'm out of state. If I go for fox, and take stretchers, tools for them, and the place is loaded with mink and/or beaver, what am I going to do with their hides? How many stretchers do I need? Without an 18-wheeler, you just can't take everything. It comes down to having access to a freezer. smile

We need to talk about washing, cleaning, after handling these animals too. smile

#15892 - 05/28/09 09:59 AM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
Idaho Trapper Offline

Loc: Idaho
Something else to consider is transporting furs across state lines. Every state probably has restrictions concerning this. Animals legal to trap in one state may not be legal in another, and it may be more of a pain than its worth to try and get all the paperwork and tags etc. Best option would be to sell furs in the state they are caught. Just thinkin' out loud here.

#15893 - 05/28/09 06:54 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Some states also require a tag before transporting them. My brother-in-law were planning a Fischer/marten trip for him when he went home to Michigan on leave. He was gonna trap'em and bring them back here and I would put them up and sell them. But the way Michigan law is written he would've had to skin them there and have the game warden stamp them or something. I don't completely understand the procedure. But that's something else to take into consideration. Maybe that could be another thread, have everybody chime in on their state's particular laws.

#15894 - 05/28/09 07:30 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
LD-

Here is the link for kill "tag" (seals) RE Michigans regs.. Suspect many states have the seal, import/export information available on-line if one wants to search the respective states regulations.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10880_10994_12383-97423--,00.html

Redsnow- I have some other thoughts on your various out of state topics; just haven't found the time to compose them. For now, here is some info/links you might find helpful regarding dry ice.

http://www.dryicesource.com/locations/map.php

(Hal- Sorry for the gobbledygook... couldn't find a more direct link)

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3071533&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-NULL-_-3071533&mr:trackingCode=F7E4340A-201B-DE11-8130-000423C27502&mr:referralID=NA&bhcd2=1243518689

Cabelas used to sell something similar, but a cursory search of their website didn't turn anything up frown One might try a Google (or other) search with "make dry ice" as the keywords.

Regards,

#15895 - 05/29/09 06:48 AM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
redsnow Online   content

Yep, we've opened a can of worms. Let's try to focus on handling/storage, I've got a man working on another thread: "transporting fur". wink

Talking about dry ice, I read a link someplace that said you could expect to get 6-8# of dry ice from a 10# CO2 fire extingusher, said to blast it into a pillow case. But that's not very practical. I've used dry ice, it needs to be respected, at 110* below zero it'll freeze stuff (fingers/hands) in a hurry. One of those things that needs adult surpervision!!! I'll check with the local welding shop about buying a tank of CO2, and get a price. smile

#15896 - 05/29/09 06:57 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Dry ice IS NOT a practical solution. Purchased from a supplier its going to run about a $1.50 pound (or a bit less). Now you need to keep it for a period of time that will be of some use to you. A regular cooler is not going to cut it. By the time you build yourself something well enough insulated to hold the dry ice you would be better off getting a freezer and finding a place to plug it in.

As for the Fire extinguisher idea.anyone who discharges a $125 10lb. extinguisher to get $10 of dry ice needs more than adult supervision.

#15897 - 05/30/09 09:28 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
A couple of things.

First, if your trip is only two weeks, you can probably forget about stretching and drying. You would no more than get started, then you'd have to stop. It could work if you had a really good facility.

I don't think ice or dry ice would be practical either. You couldn't keep pelts "on ice" for a week or more, they would spoil. Tim likened this to keeping them in the refrigerator, and I agree. You can keep a pelt in the refrigerator only a few days.

The other thing is capacity. How are you going to get a "cooler" big enough to hold this project? And enough "ice" to keep it going?

I think the freezer is really the best option

Hal

#27336 - 01/08/20 10:13 AM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Fur Handling/Storage [Re: redsnow]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.