Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives
General Trapping Archives
Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#16100 - 09/21/06 09:32 PM Re: memory "joggers"
Beback Offline

Loc: SW Ohio
I keep one of thoes 3x5 note pads in a ziplock bag on the line. In the truck Iam going to an old laptop this year, Its slow but I got it free and works just fine.Look around for old outdated ones,You can find them free or cheap.

#16101 - 09/22/06 08:02 AM Re: memory "joggers"
darbyhollowtrappn Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Jim Ramsdell: my point was relavent. Steve wanted to know ways that others remembered what lures to use at different sets ect,.. how to organize their thoughts. My way is to read the material over and over again untill i memorized it. its called learning. here is the question from Steve in case YOU missed the point!

"Hal I'd like to submit this as a forum topic. I've read so many books and taken so many notes at demo's, but when I got busy making sets I would forget much of the new and helpful info I read or saw. 3x5 cards are wonderful things! My packbasket is a 5 gal. bucket with pouches. I have made and laminated a stack of 3x5 cards with all the many kinds of set possibilities, what lures to use where,etc./ info that I have read or seen at demos. I call them my "memory joggers." I'd like to hear from others about any nifty ways they help organize their thoughts (or their packbaskets) once they're on the trapline."

#16102 - 09/22/06 09:02 AM Re: memory "joggers"
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Nah. I think Jim was right.

Steve wanted help with something to "jog" his memory. If he had the ability to memorize the book, he wouldn't need any "memory joggers" now would he?

(P.S. If you have "Trapping North American Furbearers" imprinted in your head, you're about 30 years behind the times.)

If you get to stick around, you may learn something.

smile -- Hal
Endeavor to persevere.

#16103 - 09/22/06 09:50 AM Re: memory "joggers"
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
I guess i must be quite a bit unorganized compared to most. I do have a note book of the places and locations of my sets and even notes on the lure types. I also have note books to jot down notes to try and remember because its usually cold and wet and 3 in the morning and i've got to be to work in a while. This is a notebook and a pen back in the truck.
I enjoy the heck out of reading trapping books and watching videos, and i may be wrong here, but i haven't ever taken a book with me and tried to look at a picture and make my set look exactly like it. I'd venture to say you'll never find two spots exactly alike. same stream and bank with the same trails in the same spots to make the same text book set. i'm not really sure what the heck i'm gonna do until i look at a spot, land or water. then i decide from what i've done before, what has worked and what hasn't as to how i want to set it up and then try some new things too. thats whats fun about it for me and i think thats what has made me know what i know about trapping and the outdoors and thats how i learn. The set fundementals are the same as the books and videos, but i don't think you should go walking all over the pasture to find the perfect cow pie to use for backing on your flat set because thats what you memorized from the book. Learn how to apply the fundementals of the sets to make them work where the sign is and with what you have to work with. I spend a heck of a lot of time in the off season trying to figure out how to carry less stuff and lighten the load rather than packing more in. I sure hope this doesn't offend anyone and i think the memory jogger deal is great. I think if you've got a question in your mind on the line, jot it down in your notebook when you get back to the truck and then look it up at home. I think thats what most are saying anyway. If i carried a lap top or a book with me, it would be ruined in a day, but thats not to say that i don't need some help with organization and keeping things clean laugh

#25477 - 10/25/17 01:44 PM Re: memory "joggers" [Re: Steve Gilliland]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.
Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.