Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16090 - 09/20/06 01:38 AM memory "joggers"
Steve Gilliland Offline

Loc: Kansas
Hal I'd like to submit this as a forum topic. I've read so many books and taken so many notes at demo's, but when I got busy making sets I would forget much of the new and helpful info I read or saw. 3x5 cards are wonderful things! My packbasket is a 5 gal. bucket with pouches. I have made and laminated a stack of 3x5 cards with all the many kinds of set possibilities, what lures to use where,etc./ info that I have read or seen at demos. I call them my "memory joggers." I'd like to hear from others about any nifty ways they help organize their thoughts (or their packbaskets) once they're on the trapline.

#16091 - 09/20/06 12:20 PM Re: memory "joggers"
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Packbasket..To help keep re-bar in line.A piece of 3"pvc with a cap on top.Drill holes in cap to accept stakes.Wire pipe to basket.Keeps stakes from punching holes in the basket and your back

#16092 - 09/20/06 01:47 PM Re: memory "joggers"
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I carry a clipboard at all times in my truck. The top sheet on the clipboard is used jot down quick notes to myself. This keeps me from forgetting things. When I know I am going to need something at a set, or just in general, I jot it down on the clipboard as soon as I get back to the truck. Before I leave in the morning, I check my notes to make sure I'm not forgetting something, or to refresh my memory about something I am supposed to do.

I've just about given up simply trying to "remember" what I need or what I need to do.

smile -- Hal

#16093 - 09/20/06 03:09 PM Re: memory "joggers"
Jim Ramsdell Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Maine
I use my Garmin RINO 130 GPSr. It does a variety of things including a feature where I can add notes. So I make my set, mark a waypoint to it (nice when the snow gets deep) and add any info I may need to this waypoint/set location. My unit comes with a sturdy beltclip and takes a heck of a lot of abuse. Before this I just used a cheap voice recorder or write-in-the-rain paper and pencil.

Jim

#16094 - 09/20/06 05:38 PM Re: memory "joggers"
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I have a small spiral-notebook that i use to keep notes. Usually, I'll write my notes (# of sets, location, etc.) while I'm still in the truck, before I make the sets. If I can't get in stakes, I'll make another note, when I get back to the truck, that one trap is on a drag, etc. Here where I work, my schedule is "subject to change", and that's putting it lightly! I also use "survey tape", and blaze trees now and then, not a big blaze made with an ax, but one or 2 notches made with my knife, or snap-off a tree-limb the size of my pinky finger, it all goes in the book. If everything goes according to "plan", I don't need them, usually. If we get a hard, soaking rain and need to walk in and check traps, I can glance at the book and go. And, If I'm forced to run part of my line at 10pm, it sure does save a lot of trouble. smile

#16095 - 09/20/06 09:36 PM Re: memory "joggers"
Creekwalker Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Steve, I like your idea about the laminated cards. I think I'll try that for set ideas I want to try this year. My little spiral notebooks get wet and ripped up too quickly.

I store all my long-term info on a little flash drive I can connect to the USB port on any computer. That drive holds a Word doc in which all my notes are compiled, spreadsheets with daily trapline records, purchases and sales, PDF copies of hunting/trapping regs and other literature, image files for topo and county maps, a log of landowner conversations and permissions. I try to maintain my trapping schedule using Microsoft Outlook calendar and I keep the file for that calendar on this drive so I can access it at work, home, anywhere. And lots more. I still have a binder with all my permission slips, but this drive has helped me eliminate a lot of paper. But on the line...I'm going to try those cards.

#16096 - 09/20/06 10:49 PM Re: memory "joggers"
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
I also carry a leather notebook. Inside is a tablet, a place to keep all kinds of cards that I have put important names and telephone numbers on, and all kinds of neet places to stick maps and stuff.
It's big, but I like it. It stays in the truck. I too, need
to write stuff down before I forget.

I also quikly draw a map of each property and make X's where
my traps are.

#16097 - 09/21/06 11:31 AM Re: memory "joggers"
sdavis0321 Offline

Loc: Camp Lejeune, NC
There are a couple companies out there that make rain proof notebooks. We use these almost exclusivly in the military. You right in them in pencil, it doesnt smear or smudge and the paper doesnt tear when it gets wet. They come in pocket size that will fit in your back pocket to larger size note books. The main ones we are using these days are Right in the Rain, all weather feild books. Or you can look for Storm Safe notebooks (I dont know if these are still around). Both of them work great in wet weather. They can be found in most large military surplus stores like Ranger Joe's or U.S. Calvary both of which have websites, or you can try the below web site.

www.RiteintheRain.com

#16098 - 09/21/06 12:59 PM Re: memory "joggers"
darbyhollowtrappn Offline

Loc: Kentucky
There is a wide variety of books covering trapping. Some small details may be different in some books but they all generally cover the same practices. My advise is to find one book that covers trapping completly and read it over and over again. I have Stanley S.Hawbakers "Trapping North American Furbears", great book, I have reed the entire book 3 times. Its all imprinted in my head.

#16099 - 09/21/06 01:39 PM Re: memory "joggers"
Jim Ramsdell Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Maine
darbyhollowtrappn: I think you missed the point. Here's the original question by
Steve Gilliland.

Quote:
Hal I'd like to submit this as a forum topic. I've read so many books and taken so many notes at demo's, but when I got busy making sets I would forget much of the new and helpful info I read or saw. 3x5 cards are wonderful things! My packbasket is a 5 gal. bucket with pouches. I have made and laminated a stack of 3x5 cards with all the many kinds of set possibilities, what lures to use where,etc./ info that I have read or seen at demos. I call them my "memory joggers." I'd like to hear from others about any nifty ways they help organize their thoughts (or their packbaskets) once they're on the trapline.
Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.