Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#16169 - 05/26/09 09:36 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Lodging.
2870express Offline

Loc: New Mexico
lodging depends a lot on where this out of state exodus will be. Some areas, winter is mild enough to do well with a tent and skinning tree, others a big pile of fire wood would be needed.

This forum might just be the place to post the thought you would like to trap someplace new, and a fellow trapper might say come on over, ya can't run my traps but I will put ya up for a spell! ( sorry Hal, now some one might have to create one of them thar things so's a feller could post he would like to go some where to trap.

#16170 - 06/01/09 12:47 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Lodging.
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Two years ago I got tired of making the 250-mile roundtrip to check my line, so I set up a canvas wall tent out in the woods, complete with a wood stove. No water or electricity; I had to haul my water in and use a Coleman lantern.

I only went there on weekends to run my line, and stayed 1-2 nights at a time. Could have stayed longer, but there was no realistic way to thaw my catch out for skinning; I just left animals frozen out in the sled until I went home.

Years ago I stayed for two weeks in a wall tent, trapping fox on Ohio Power Company land. No stove that time. But I was a lot younger then, and Ohio doesn't get as cold as it does up here.

Jim

#16171 - 06/03/09 06:35 AM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Lodging.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I do have several people giving me advice, and looking for a deer shack for me-- seems like every place I'm considering is "saturated" with trappers. Read that: "Stay home". lol. Really, I started this thread as a guideline for everyone, north or south, we can learn from each others mistakes. Even little tid-bits of advice may make our excursion more enjoyable. I'm not just looking for a free ride for myself. (But if anyone knows of a "hunting camp" that a feller could rent, my email is open.) I'm still reading rules/regs.

I've never camped in a wall tent, I've been in a few of the "neighbors". Back in 04, a big game outfitter invited us into the "cook tent", it was big, I'll guess 15' X 40' or so? It was nice, tables/chairs down both walls, wood cook stove on one end, and it had indoor/outdoor carpet (Astro turf) on the floor. I didn't have a thermometer, but I'll bet the air temp in that thing was 100* shoulder-high, it was hot. If a guy would have a stove and a cot, that wouldn't be bad, even in cold weather. It would darned sure beat sleeping in a bag on the ground. The only tents that I've camped in were the kind where you crawl into headfirst, and either back-out on all 4 or twist around and crawl back out. The way wall tents are framed, you could rig a clothes line and at least dry a few of your essentials. Search "wall tent", they're expensive.

The last time we went on vacation we spent 4 or 5 nights in rental cabins, really they were set up just like a motel room. Each room was a separate building. That may be something to consider also. smile

#16172 - 06/03/09 06:38 PM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Lodging.
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
A wall tent can be a toasty place with a good wood stove. However, installing one alone is a nightmare. unless you have a pole or live tree to act as a "post.

There was a tent company called ATUK that had a variety of wall tents. Some were quite light. A GOOGLE search might turn up something. With the exchange rate now is the time for an American to buy Canuck.

I know of quite a few fellows that hunt moose out of "Tempo" type winter garages. They can be "dark" but they do the job. Again, you need a wood stove. But that is easy enough to make with an old drum and a recipricating saw.

#27337 - 01/08/20 10:13 AM Re: Out-of-State Trapline: Lodging. [Re: redsnow]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.