Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16185 - 08/29/05 03:10 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
french fry Offline

Loc: drexel hill, pa
Thanks for all the info.

#16186 - 08/29/05 03:32 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
traprjo Offline

Loc: larksville,pa.
wow beav relesed 44 dogs the first month finaly found somebody thats better at it than me.

#16187 - 08/29/05 04:05 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It's a real shame when bravado overrules common sense.

frown -- Hal

#16188 - 08/29/05 04:51 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
Hal

I just looked up Bravado in my Webster's dictionary. It said "to challenge or show off".

I know I challenged you but I want to be clear that I am in no way showing off.

I certianly do not have to tell you that electronic messageing does not facilitate normal conversation under any circumstances. Thus the conversation degenerates quickly as it has here and I quickly loose all crediability. Had you and I been standing shoulder to shoulder chances are you would have said we had a great conversation. But now unfortuately you have a much different opinion of me. One that is difficult to repair.

With that said I would like to bow out as gracioulsy as possable from this post.

#16189 - 08/29/05 07:31 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Hal Offline

For cryin' out loud!

I was talking about the phenomena of folks publicly expressing the number of dogs they have caught. That is not putting our best foot forward, and that is not good P.R. for the trapper. I ought to just close this thread. However…

Cannon Ball, I'll now give you the opportunity to go look up "myopic" and "persecution complex".

smile -- Hal

#16190 - 08/29/05 09:10 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
Well I's all my fault, but It just shows that dogs can be released with no damage to the animals or to the trapper.

Beav

#16191 - 08/29/05 09:21 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Hal Offline

Yes, that comes from using discretion in selecting what size trap to use, and providing for several good swiveling points in the fastening system. And thus, we can release incidental dogs unharmed. I release several every year myself.

smile -- Hal

#16192 - 08/29/05 10:51 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
After you release an animal you should be careful that the animal doesn't decide to make an "example" of you. They don't all run away.

I've had it happen to me a couple of times. It isn't something to worry about but it is something that is best prepared for.

#16193 - 08/30/05 11:39 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Kevin Upperman Offline

Loc: PA
Each critter will be different on the release technique.

I use either a choke pole or a piece of plywood with a V-notch cut on the bottom. Sometimes, if the critter is extremely feisty, I'll use both.

Canines get the catch pole.
Possums get the V-notched plywood or just a stick across the neck.
Coons get the V-notched plywood.
Cats get the V-notched plywood with a blanket or coat thrown over them.
Skunks I get the neighbor kid to release them. He has a knack for doing it. lol

I like the plywood because it keeps you and the animal separated. It can be also used to push or direct the animal away from you after you release it.

One thing I never do, even with the plywood, is release an animal by hand. I always use my feet. Just a personal preference, because I don't want to get my face or hands near their teeth. I'll let them chew on my boots all they want, but not my bare skin.

#16194 - 08/30/05 12:17 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
Your method of release will depend on your mode of transportation and how far you have to walk to your sets.
I know the plywood works to prefection but your means of transportation will detemine If you can use It.

Beav

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.