Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16175 - 08/26/05 10:37 PM releasing unwanted animals
french fry Offline

Loc: drexel hill, pa
how do you go about releasing unwanted catches from foothold traps, small coons, possums,cats without getting scratched? did anyone ever have a released animal turn on them or do they always just run away? can it be done safely without a catch pole? any imput will help,thanks.

#16176 - 08/26/05 11:19 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
While I was live trapping one day I had a coon In one of my traps. He was very hard to get the catch pole on him.And as I was trying to get the noose on him my transefer cage tiped over and that coon ran right into it trying to hide. It was then very easy to get the trap off him. I just pulled on the trap and he pulled back I closed the door removed the trap opened the cage and the coon ran away.I have used this method several times In the past and It allways worked
I would think that if you built a box with a 10x10 opening about 16" or 18" long and had a door on It that would open on a hinge and had one corner of the bottom of the door cut off to allow you to close the door over the animals leg,you would have a pretty good release system.
Just push the cage up as close to the animal and herd him Into It, In most cases they will just run In to it.
Give It a try It might just work for you.

Beav

#16177 - 08/27/05 02:17 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
donwh Offline

Loc: Missouri
On a couple of occasions (when I forgot my catch pole)I've had to release such animals without a catch pole and if the animal is small such as cat or small coon I've used a forked branch that I found near the set location. Pin the animals head down with the stick and release them. I always wear gloves when releasing animals even with a catch pole. No animals I've released have ever come after me they run off once they realize that they are free but still use caution and don't turn you back on them till they have went away. Good luck don

#16178 - 08/27/05 02:27 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
battlegroundtrapper Offline

Loc: Cullman, Alabama
You might want to check your trapping regulations. Here in Alabama you have to carry a catch pole when you check traps.

#16179 - 08/28/05 03:19 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Clarence Offline

Loc: Hyde Park, New York
Cats are one pain in the neck. They don't let you hep them they just fight you the whole time. I use a forked stick on cats and throw a jacket over them. It really helps to have two people.

All the dogs I have caught have been great. just sat there and let me take the trap off them, then they ran off or layed down in the sun. One started to growl a little, but I just watched him and let him sniff my hand he was ok. All the dogs never needed anything I just reached on down after I was sure they were settled down.

I let a skunk go once. It was my first catch and didn't want a skunk so I felt bad shooting it. I used a catch pole for that.

I wouldn't reconmend doing it without a pole. They are cheap or easy enough to make. I have never had anything turn on me after I let it go.

Check this archived thread out it had some good tips I like the one about just using a 8' section of rope.

http://forum.sullivansline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000181#000000

it can be done safly just use your head and go slow. and if you have to put a animal down that is just to wild well then it is a lot better then shots and Doctors and getting sick.

my cat just looked at me funny smile

#16180 - 08/28/05 03:45 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
The Beav Offline

I would advise against reaching down and releasing a dog without some type of aid In holding It down. You may get away with It a few times but odds are against you and eventually you are going to get bit. Whats the closest thing to a dogs teeth when you are bending down to take the trap off by hand? YOUR FACE.
Don't take any chances.

Beav

#16181 - 08/29/05 03:17 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
Bottom line you need to carry lots of equipment in the truck. You never know what you will need and it ain't doing you any good at home in the shed. Use rope, cable , poles, sticks , logs , chain, woven wire, a 5 gallon bucket, a pack basket, a cage trap, your spare tire, your options are limited only to your imagination.

Most of the time the more equipment you have the safer it is for you and the critter.

I do not trust dogs of any size. I have on occaison been forced to take a rope and throw a loop around their neck. Then you can streth them out, and tie ther rope off to a tree,your truck or if you have to drive a stake in the ground. Now the dog cannot reach his foot to bite you. You can then take the trap off but now you have to get a rope off of his neck. That is usually much easier than the trap. If they are use to people they ususally get pretty friendly once released.

Cats are bad news from the word go. I have not had to release a black bear yet, as they seem to be able to do this themsleves without any help from me.

Good lcuk and be safe.

#16182 - 08/29/05 03:31 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
The Beav Offline

I have used the rope trick but i just cut It back from the dog and let It run off dragging some of the rope. The owner just may keep that dog at home If he thinks that some one may have tried to steal It.
The leggits helper works pretty good as a release device.
The first time I trapped SC I caught 44 dogs in the first month I have lots of experince In dealing with dogs.

Beav

#16183 - 08/29/05 01:37 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I think we've strayed from the original question.

I believe the best tool for releasing unwanted animals is a "choke stick" (or "noose pole" or "hog catcher" whatever you want to call it.) You put this over the animal's neck so you can control the animal. Then when the animal is free of the trap, you can loose the noose and let the animal go.

DO NOT "trust" dogs, and DO NOT try to release dogs bare handed, eventually you will get bit.

smile -- Hal

#16184 - 08/29/05 02:19 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
Cannon Ball Offline

Loc: Washington NC
Hal

You run a tight ship.

In my opinion we have not strayed off topic. Yes, I rambled a little at the end of my post and for that I apologize , but I do so begrudginly.

French Fry ask concerning the releasing of animals "can it be done safely without a catch pole? any imput will help,thanks.

Without actually showing him to use these tools I think I gave him some options of how to release an animal without a catch pole. How far off topic is that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.