Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#16195 - 08/30/05 01:16 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
tom dud Offline

i use my shovel. i walk all my land traps and farmers dont like 4 wheelers around here. all my sets are made after everything is in season. i dont like to carry alot of weight just the nesesitys. never caught a domestic dog. to many idiots in my area so every one keeps their dogs home where they belong. cats dont last long with all the yotes in the area never caught one of those either. i'm sure i will some day but so far i've been lucky!! I do let opposums go. i just use my feet to open the trap. never have had a problem with them trying to bite me.

#16196 - 08/31/05 04:17 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
foxtail Offline

I rarely release anything except small coon.
I am leaning towards not doing that either as in my neck of the woods, if the coon is that small, it is unlikely to survive the winter.

Cats are never released unless they are banded and then if the landowner wants them gone also, they go too. I rarely get a cat that is not likely feral anyway. Most of the cats I get are on my land anyhow and they are all feral there.

I never release possums under any situation. If I started doing that and the landowners found out, I would not be very well respected.

#16197 - 08/31/05 03:13 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
Laws differ from state to state, but here, in Georgia, we are required by the statutes to carry a catch pole. Same as in Alabama mentioned by battlegroundtrapper.
Wonder if we are the only two states in the Union with that requirement?
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#16198 - 09/18/05 10:09 AM Re: releasing unwanted animals
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I'm still pondering as to how Clarence released that skunk. Can we all assume that he got "skunked" in the process (LOL)

(Edit. Trap Jaw: I think it's time for you to be reminded that we place little value on "quantity" posting here. There's no prize for most posts in a week. If you don't have something constructive to add, feel free to not post. frown -- Hal)

#16199 - 09/19/05 01:04 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals
MB Offline

Loc: Ohio
A 5 gallon bucket works great for house-cats in a foot-hold trap. Place the empty bucket over the cat with the paw and trap outside of bucket. take trap off and encourage cat to VaMoose !

Snared housecats can be very difficult. I have found it best to force them down with a catch pole and quickly cut cable off. They have razor sharp and NASTY Dirty claws. Cat Scratch Fever is real guys. (Not just a Nugent song).

#20938 - 12/11/14 07:08 PM Re: releasing unwanted animals [Re: french fry]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.