Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16200 - 02/09/11 07:12 AM Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
yourdy Offline

Loc: Bend Oregon
Out checking traps last night when I got to one of my coyote sets I had one caught in a #3 coil spring and it was dead. Apparently a passer by took it upon themselves to dispatch MY catch. It had been less than 48 hours since my last check and catch so it hadn't been caught for very long. It had been shot with a small cal. to the head with little damage. They didn't even mess with it after wards. I have never had something like this happen and wondered how common this is. Luckily it has been cold this week and it was still in good shape. Unluckily it was really cold and half frozen and a treat to skin. Again just curios if anyone has had this happen and has anyone ever done this? I have never came across another's catch but I don't think I would dispatch it. Thanks for your input.

(musher:title edit)

#16201 - 02/09/11 12:16 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Has it happened, yes. Is it proper outdoor etiquette,definitely not. Most places it is illegal to dispatch an others catch.

You were lucky in one way. The weapon of choice seems to be a shotgun from about 15'

#16202 - 02/09/11 12:38 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
SnowraT Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I agree with Hal, the weapon of choice around here does seem to be a shotgun from about a foot away. It happens at times....My personal fav is when duck hunters come across the rare un-drowned rat and decide to "help me out" and dispatch it with high brass duck loads at close range. JEE thanks guys ....

#16203 - 02/09/11 02:48 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Thank you for pre-agreeing with me.

As Ric said, in most places it is illegal to mess with a critter that is in someone else's trap, but it happens. Even if they have good intent, centerfire rifles and shotguns mess up a critter pretty bad and can make a real bloody mess at the set. So your critter shot carefully with a .22 is probably a positive outcome.

Hal

#16204 - 02/10/11 03:24 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
yourdy Offline

Thanks for the feed back guys. I do feel lucky that it was still there and had been dispatched properly. It was just an odd experience for me and I didn't know how common of an issue it was. Thanks again!

#16205 - 02/10/11 01:11 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
SnowraT Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
The way you described it, shot with a small cal. and neatly done leads me to the question of is there possibly another trapper working in your area ? OH and bye the way Hal I ment Ric, slip of the key pad I guess, but was sure you'd agree anyway

#16206 - 02/14/11 06:52 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Could be someone that used to trap as well. That said, its never proper etiquette to dispatch someone else's catch unless you and they already have an agreement on the matter. For example, when my dad was trapping he and a coworker trapped the same gamelands. A lot of times they would pass by the other's trap while checking their own. They would simply dispatch it (normally coons, foxes, and bobcats) and leave it lay for the other. They saved each other a little bit of time this way. But like I said, they had a mutual agreement that was formed in advance.

#16207 - 02/15/11 04:17 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
yourdy Offline

So would you guys reset in this area or not? We had a skiff of snow last week and there are still several coyotes working this area. It looks like who ever dispatched my catch came back a couple days later to see if I had picked it up but they didn't wonder around looking for anything else. Thanks again for all your thoughts!

#16208 - 02/15/11 02:51 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Hal Online   content

Coyote pelts are becoming degraded by this time of year, but you could set back there. Frankly, if they didn't steal your catch in the first place, I'd have left the trap there.

Hal

#16209 - 02/15/11 09:43 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I'm not so sure if I would have left the trap there. On the registered lines I work - yes. On public land - maybe. It depends on how the trap was fastened. If the thief could easily have taken the trap -yes. If you needed a "tool" to remove the trap - maybe. the next time they could bring the "tool" with them.

#16210 - 02/16/11 12:44 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Hal Online   content

Gee whiz. They didn't even steal the coyote. They could have easily opened the trap and stole the coyote. If they didn't steal the fur, I wouldn't worry about the trap. That individual did not have theft on their mind. Besides that, by the description of how the coyote was carefully dispatched, it seems that whoever found it, had the trappers best interest at heart.

I wouldn't worry about people like that.

Fact of the matter is, I don't worry much about this stuff anyway. Quite often I'll put a trap right back in where I've had one stolen. Rarely do I have a second trap stolen. You'll lose more fur running away from thieves than you'll lose to the thieves themselves.

Hal

#16211 - 02/16/11 01:21 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
musher Online   content

Isn't the trap worth more than the coyote? It seems that coyotes are between worthless to $20. A #3 4x4 victor softcatch costs me $32.

If the guy knows trapping enough for proper dispatch he might also know how worthless coyotes are.

One time I has a fox dispatched. I reset and then I had my trap sprung by a person. I reset and then had my trap sprung again. I pulled.

I don't know if I was "encroaching" on someone's line (public land) or if they couldn't get the trap out of the ground (double cable stakes.)

Discretion is often a good thing, but I agree in that being overly protective of equipment will hurt your fur catch.

#16212 - 02/16/11 04:45 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Georgia Trapper Offline

Loc: Georgia
The NTA Trapping Handbook, which they purport to be the most widely used text for U.S. trapper education programs, states that it is perfectly acceptable to dispatch an animal encountered in another trapper's trap. But they are also careful to say that the animal should not be touched or removed from the trap to avoid the appearance that you intend to steal the animal. "killing the furbearer is a consideration for the animal's plight and the other trapper would probably thank you for that." Showing consideration for the trapped "animal's plight" is rule #6 in the Trapper's 10 Commandments.

#16213 - 02/16/11 01:58 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Not the first thing they have got wrong in the past few years.

As stated above in a lot of places it is illegal to do so.

Unless you have an agreement with the other trappers go on about your business and leave thier trapline alone

#16214 - 02/16/11 02:20 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Hal Online   content

Musher, you talked all the way around why the person didn't steal the coyote... why didn't they steal the trap?? Why didn't they take the worthless coyote out of the trap, and take the trap?? So if the person didn't steal the coyote or the trap, what makes you think they would steal the trap in the future?

Not everybody that walks by your equipment is a thief. And honest people generally don't turn dishonest overnight. (And Victor 4X4's are only $25 here. Duke 1.75's are $6.50. That's what I use in areas of potential theft.)

As I said earlier, this is a case where I would not have hesitated to set that trap right back in place. Whoever shot that coyote showed no mal intent, and I would not be at all afraid to have that individual encounter my trap in the future. Things may be different in Canada, but in the U.S. there are very few places where you can set traps and not have the potential for humans to encounter them. If you abandon every place where humans have come in contact with your traps, you won't get much trapping done here. There is no such thing as a registered trapline here. It's either public land, or private land by permission -- and often the trapper is not the only person to have permission to be on that land.

If the NTA handbook recommends dispatching critters in other peoples traps, then it is misguiding trappers. That practice is illegal in many states.

Hal

#16215 - 02/16/11 05:02 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
This really becomes a problem in states that allow live market in canines. It is real frustrating to see a $100 coyote reduced to $5 after someone "does you a favor." As said earlier, unless you know them, leave other folks catches alone.

#16216 - 02/16/11 11:41 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
musher Online   content

"Musher, you talked all the way around why the person didn't steal the coyote... why didn't they steal the trap?? Why didn't they take the worthless coyote out of the trap, and take the trap??"

I thought that the reason why was clear when I first wrote: "It depends on how the trap was fastened. If the thief could easily have taken the trap -yes. If you needed a "tool" to remove the trap - maybe. the next time they could bring the "tool" with them."

If the trap was fastened with a quick link or staked with re-rod most people will not be able to take your trap.

Hal wrote: "So if the person didn't steal the coyote or the trap, what makes you think they would steal the trap in the future?"

I don't necessarily think that they would. But one of the voices in my head has a paranoid bend. So I figure they MIGHT. Since a catch was already made in that area it might be time to move on.

The problem rarely seems to be "stealing" traps. It's people "finding" traps! In their warped minds they are not stealing. Given that we don't have any trap tag laws here, proof is a problem. The police don't really seem to want to be bothered with such issues either.

On public land here trappers are careful not to step on each others toes. It does become "my" territory and things can get hot. If you are on public land and you find your gear in a pile it is not wise to reset it as it will likely disappear next time. There are laws against interfering with someone trapping BUT I have never heard of someone being charged. I have levied a complaint against someone touching my stuff on a registered line but the stern warning stuff was the result. I was asked if I wanted to press the matter and I declined. In my circumstance the guy you are quarreling with might be the guy you need help from one day. Reminding the trouble maker that the trapper is watching over their expensive camp when they are away helps them see the truth of the matter.

The problem did stop and apologies were given as well as a lame excuse.

#16217 - 02/17/11 01:23 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Hal Online   content

"But one of the voices in my head has a paranoid bend"

Okay, now we're getting to the crux of the matter. But what are the other voices saying? And how many are there?

That's probably the primary difference here. I don't have any voices in my head, paranoid or otherwise.

I am forced to talk to myself.

smile -- Hal

#16218 - 02/17/11 03:53 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
yourdy Offline

Thanks alot guys! So I guess next time I will just talk the voices in my head out of not resetting and reset no matter what they say. Looks like my season is about over anyway. We got about a foot of snow yesterday and my one and only coyote set is more than likely out of commission. Hal you said "Coyote pelts are becoming degraded by this time of year" The two I got last week where still in really good shape...How fast do they "degrade"? and were do you see this at on the fur first? Also Musher said "coyotes are between worthless to $20" Have I been misinformed that I should expect $20-$40 on my coyotes? I"m in Central Oregon if that matters. This is my first year back trapping in about 4 years and I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like to get out but I did manage to catch 7 coyotes and a couple beavers and was hopping to at least pay for a couple gallons of gas (not that that's why I'm out there) but you know what I mean.

#16219 - 02/17/11 11:00 AM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
musher Online   content

yourdy: Don't take us too seriously. The idea is that it is your call as to what you should have done. Hal would have reset. I would not have. As for the coyote prices i am not a coyote trapper. Hal said that in his part of Ohio coyotes were worthless and another trapper received close to $20. I have a buddy that received a little over a $20 average on Quebec coyotes.

Hal: No voices? What about the "inner dialogue" Greek philosophers wrote about? Or conscience? The voice of reason? wink

#16220 - 02/17/11 02:50 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Hal Online   content

Inner Dialog? I guess that's where I talk to myself, eh?

I don't know what kind of coyote you have. I grabbed a March 2010 sale report (the first one I got my hands on) and Western Heavy Coyotes averaged $35.00. So, you could possibly get in that range for your coyotes if they are good. I just have a really poor coyote in southern Ohio.

Coyote fur mats as the season progresses. And it is my understanding that it can not be un-matted in the dressing process. Also, sometimes trappers aren't really the best judge of fur. What "looks good" might not pass muster to and experienced fur grader. I can assure you that February coyotes are on their way out.

Hal

#16221 - 02/27/11 03:59 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
Top Jimmy Offline

Loc: Alaska
Dispatching animals here is only done if you have an agreement with another trapper and know their schedule for checking. Dead animals are susceptible to being clipped by voles/mice, eaten by other animals, or picked at by birds. A live animal prevents most of this. Also, many trappers will set foot holds to keep animals alive on purpose so they can skin on the trail and cut down on the weight and sled space when they are on a longer line. A dead frozen catch must be hauled to a warm place to skin and isn’t always available on a line. And lastly, many guys have a preferred way for an animal to be dispatched. Skulls on Wolves, Wolverine, Lynx, and other animals have value, and shooting one in the head ruins this.

-TJ

#16222 - 03/08/11 03:36 PM Re: Has anyone ever had their catch dispatched by others?
dvranish Offline

Loc: North Central MN
I am one of those that dispatched trapped animals for other trappers. Mostly Coons. I used a .22 short right between the eyes at very close range. I thought I was doing them a favor. After reading all these posts, I can see a strong argument for just leaving the animal alone. Voles clipping the hair is probably the one that got my attention. I am no longer a dispatcher doing favors. smile
David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.