Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1639 - 02/05/14 11:40 PM Coon in the hen house.
C.O. Trapper Offline

Loc: Virginia
We have about 12 laying hens and a rooster at the house found one hen dead this morning so I waited till about 12 tonight to go check and there was 2 coons I got one but the other got away I ran all the chickens in and shut them in for the night. Is there any chances of that other one comeing back should I set a trap in the fence area while the chickens are on lockdown and can't get in the trap.

#1640 - 02/07/14 07:40 AM Re: Coon in the hen house.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
There's a good chance it will come back, and there may be more?

One thing that you could do in this situation, make a set or 3, where you think the coon will come in first. Bed your traps deep, like a step-down set. So that you can cover the traps with a board, little piece of plywood or bucket. Something that the chickens can't move.

Late in the evening, when the chickens are in the shed, out of the way and locked up, just take the board off of the trap. Next morning you can cover the trap up again. That'll keep you from setting and re-setting every day.

You're out there every day feeding, watering and gathering eggs, if it's legal, I'd keep the traps set all year long.

Only problem that I see, you might catch a skunk. And if you catch one, you'll have a bunch this time of year. Keep that in mind. smile

#1641 - 02/08/14 08:46 AM Re: Coon in the hen house.
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
My brother had this same problem about six weeks ago. I set three dog proofs and a cage trap around on his property. They have produced six nice coons and two possums so far.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.