Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#16523 - 04/26/07 01:04 AM Set on "sign" or "instinct"
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
What do ya do ?

I dont bother w/ sign myself, I look for places such as these.........

#16524 - 04/26/07 01:35 AM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I try to use both. My dad was walking through my line with me this past season doing kind of a critique for me, and he was pointing out that some of my blind sets were set on old trails that were not currently being used. I moved my traps to current trails and caught animals. Down here the habitat is not conducive to haveing lots of sign to follow, so I jump on it when I find it, but I do think instinct and experiance both play big roles.

#16525 - 04/26/07 11:53 AM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I agree with you. Looks like with a little narrowing there could be another great spot for a snare right up shore a ways.

#16526 - 04/26/07 12:04 PM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
There are too many reasons why "sign" may not be observed at a given location.If I am confident that the target animals are actually in the area I will make the sets with out "sign"

#16527 - 04/26/07 01:09 PM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
i agree. when its been zero for 3 weeks and there is no snow and freezing rain the day before the 3 week zero spell, unless you are part native african bushman, you just cant find hardly any sign, so you set it anyway and still catch fur.

alot of funnels and natural and man made barriers. the critters are still traveling them.

#16528 - 04/26/07 02:23 PM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Sometimes, we just blow right by the beginners.

I too make sets on speculation, but it's hard to speculate were an animal might be, unless you have a familiarity with the animal.

"I dont bother w/ sign myself,"

That statement can be severely misleading, I think reading sign is one of the fundamental tasks that a trapper should master. If you don't learn to read sign how will you ever determine what, if any critters abound you your traplines.

Once you find enough sign, in enough places, you'll be better able to quickly find and identify sign in future situations and locations. You will also become more adept at picking out those locations that are apt to produce, even though you don't find sign there, at the moment. But this comes with experience.

I think almost all experienced trappers make some sets on speculation, where no sign is present. But I think that a set which is made "on sign" has a higher probability of producing than does a set made on speculation. I believe a beginning trapper will face less disappointment if they endeavor to get their sets "on sign" whenever possible.

smile -- Hal

#16529 - 04/26/07 02:52 PM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
phys23 Offline

Loc: Idaho
I appreciate Hal's remarks. I find it very difficult not to set on sign. Now perhaps where buzzard lives, he's up to his arm pits in beaver and not setting on sign would be more appropriate. Here where I live, however, the beaver are more scattered. I'm fortunate enough to have the time to scout out most all of the locations I plan to trap come trapping season. What's more, preseason scouting is one of the more enjoyable aspects of my trapping! With just my waders and a walking stick (no heavy equipment to haul around) I search up and down the banks of rivers and streams looking for sign. Often I have the pleasure of seeing the actual target animals busy at work (talk about sign!). It's just nice to able to get out in the fresh air by yourself and scout around.

#16530 - 04/26/07 05:36 PM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
Dusty Offline
Member+

Loc: North Pole, Alaska, USA
I think my trapping style is a TAD bit different than most of ya...

I trap an essentially unlimited-size area that's very sparsely populated with fur, and I'm very mobile. I set the areas with the most sign, and very seldom anything else.

#16531 - 04/26/07 06:40 PM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
For me it is a varied process. Taking raccoons for example. I set on sign and fresh sign, but I will "scout" the areas I feel that will hold the coons at the time I am trapping based on several factors learned over time. For example hilly, rolling wooded areas with oaks I will look for trails leading to wild grapes, acorns etc. when they are present. When corn is in the fields I look for the fields next to woods, streams or with grass ditches running in them or to them. Yes it is sign but instinct is helping to go to the better locations for that time period and geography.
I have found that rats move a lot in my streams which are small and border crops. They follow the remaining crops until all are gone. Corn seems to be a key factor in their movement in my area.
This fall I plan to trap canines much more. I have been only doing limited canine trapping on several permissions and during the later season and on sites that I have set for two decades. I will expand those setups to include more locations and the first years that will be mostly by hunch or best guess as to funnel points, travel routes etc.

I also feel that experience will increase the sign at the instinctive location one chooses to scout or locate.

Bryce

#16532 - 04/26/07 09:02 PM Re: Set on "sign" or "instinct"
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Hold on. I don't think we are talking about the exact same thing. I believe here we are talking about whether or not to make individual sets in close proximity to sign. At least that's the way I took it. That has been the traditional common usage of the term "setting on sign."

smile -- Hal

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.