Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#16556 - 03/20/06 01:37 AM releasing domestic animals from snares
henry fitzgerald Offline

Loc: Quakertown, Pa.
Since I am new to snaring, I want to ask how would you release a nasty dog from a snare. If it keeps pulling it won't open and won't be able to get free. Get too close and careless, I may get bit. Or the animal maybe a small nasty beaver. Is there a easy method for release?

#16557 - 03/20/06 02:10 PM Re: releasing domestic animals from snares
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It is always a good idea to carry a noose pole to release animals from foothold traps as well as snares. When you are snaring, it is also a good idea to carry a pair of cable cutters with you. If you catch a non-target animal, noose it down with the pole and cut the snare off of it.

smile -- Hal

#16558 - 03/20/06 03:38 PM Re: releasing domestic animals from snares
henry fitzgerald Offline

Loc: Quakertown, Pa.
Thanks Hal, I thought the cable cutters may be the answer to my question.

#16559 - 03/20/06 03:49 PM Re: releasing domestic animals from snares
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
As an additional question, as I have no experience with "non" locking locks, would it be feasable to just cut the cable any where(between the tie off and animal) and let the animal shake the cable off its neck? I know it could mean the loss of the washer/BAD, but you would not have to get as close to the snared animal, if you didn't want to. I could be missing something, but it would seem safer to me and less hassle than a choke pole.

RO smile

#16560 - 03/20/06 05:20 PM Re: releasing domestic animals from snares
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
As far as I know, there is only one state here (Kentucky) that requires a "non-locking" snare. In that case, yes you could just cut the cable and let the animal free itself from the snare. But in all other situations, you have to cut the snare beyond the lock or the snare would remain locked on the animal.

smile -- Hal

#16561 - 03/20/06 05:41 PM Re: releasing domestic animals from snares
Trapper Joe Offline

Loc: New brunswick
Last year I had a fisher in a fox snare. It did not look hurt so I decided to release it. I had quite a time getting the noose around its neck. I finally got it pinned down but the snare was too tight to get the cutters under it without risk of nipping the fisher. I cut the snare close to the lock then worked it off.

#25402 - 10/17/17 05:33 PM Re: releasing domestic animals from snares [Re: henry fitzgerald]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.