Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16587 - 11/08/06 09:00 PM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
NEA Trapper Offline

Loc: arkansas
I'm no appliance expert but, I do manage an appliance, electronic, and home furnishings store. I just recently purchased a 15 cu.ft. chest freezer. Prior to buying it I wanted to make sure that it would work properly outside. I
once heard our service repair man say that keeping an auto defrost freezer outside would cause cooling problems in the winter. Hal you are correct in your findings. Also, reading in a GE owner's manual it reads that its best not to keep the freezer's in areas where the tempature can get above 110 F or below 0 F.
Mark
~Hope everyone has a great season~

#16588 - 11/09/06 12:24 AM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
K. Sullivan Offline

Loc: Northern Ohio
I started this thing about freezers not working properly in cold temperatures. My freezer, that was not working in cold weather, IS NOT an auto defrost. When I first contacted the company I bought the freezer from, and told them the problem, they told me that you could not put all freezers in sub freezing conditions, which appears to be the case with mine.

#16589 - 11/09/06 01:50 AM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Quote:
I believe these alarms are battery powered, at least I would hope so.
Mine are electric with battery back up. If the power is off for 4 hours it will let you know. If the temp gets above 25 it will let you know.

I bought that type because I run several freezers on 1 circuit.

I said I have "alarms on all my freezers", I actually have 1 alarm and wired it to all my freezers.

#16590 - 11/10/06 12:45 AM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Thanks for the idea Hal. I have two of those in/out thermometers in my pick-up and travel trailer and never thought to use one for my deep freeze.

I had a close call about 5 years ago with an old deep freeze, but like Hal, was fortunate enough to catch it while my meat was only about 50% thawed.

RO smile

#16591 - 11/10/06 12:56 AM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
RdFx Offline

Loc: wausau, wi, usa
Check this out. Alot of alarms out there . THis is a nice one.
http://www.shiptheweb.com/Gifts/Product/...CFQL7YgodY1XJ-g

#16592 - 11/11/06 07:24 PM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
RdFx Offline

Loc: wausau, wi, usa
Has anyone on this forum used any of the freezer type alarms ive posted?? Im using three of them and they work great. After nbr one son unplugged a freezer FULL of mink and rats to plug his electric drill in and forgot to replug in and i lost all the fur, i ordered them pronto!

#16593 - 11/11/06 09:57 PM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Eldridge, Alabama
I come here to read trapping post, not hear about broke down appliance's!

#16594 - 11/11/06 10:08 PM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Jtrapper: Actually, this post is quite relevant to trappers. More and more trappers are relying on freezers for both short and long term storage of fur. Look at the example above where someone lost their fir on account of an unplugged freezer. And as I noted in the original post, I had a friend who had the same thing happen.

smile -- Hal

#16595 - 11/11/06 10:56 PM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
K. Sullivan Offline

Loc: Northern Ohio
I bought an indoor-outdoor thermometer yesterday. I put it on the garage wall and ran the lead the freezer. Absolutely no work to install. As Hal said you just run the lead under the lid. The seal fits right around the lead. Now, every time I walk out in the garage I just glance at the thermometer. I know what the temp is in my freezer and I know what the temp of the garage is.

Cool idea!!

#16596 - 11/12/06 01:21 AM Re: Monitoring a Freezer
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Eldridge, Alabama
I've got more deep freezer horror storie's than you wish to hear. Got one gone out right now, luckily i got to it before it got bad and saved it's content's.

Why i always liked put up fur vs freezer's but did the freezer route for many year's as didn't have time nor space to put fur up.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.