Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1671 - 06/21/14 01:22 PM Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
michaelp7318 Offline

Loc: TN
Just caught about 80 small fish. what do you guys think is better, freezing fresh, or preserving. should I taint fish if preserving or preserve fresh.I have sodium benzoate , I also need to know how much SB to use per gallon of fish. Will mostly be used for coon and mink. thanks for any help

#1672 - 06/21/14 05:09 PM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Come on folks, take a stab at this. smile -- Hal

#1673 - 06/22/14 05:57 PM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I've always froze mine whole and put in 5 gallon buckets. I lay them on plywood fit to the freezer size and layer the plywood if I need more room, once frozen I put them in buckets till season starts. Not sure how bad freezer burn is if you do now but I dont catch and freeze mine till september. I never taint them and couldn't tell you if that works better but I know they like fresh fish.

#1674 - 06/23/14 07:54 AM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
michaelp7318 Offline

Thanks for the info. Froze mine over the weekend.

#1675 - 06/27/14 09:10 PM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
Richard2 Offline

I'd like to ask a question which I hope is in line with this post. With fish preserved with sodium benzoate is the smell as strong as fresh fish or with frozen fish thawed before using at a set? I know nothing about the use of SB and am curious about this. I trapped last season where freezing temps were the norm and I recorded better catches with thawed fish but I can see where SB would be very usefull in more moderate temps where spoiling could be a problem and SB would preserve the bait longer. Am I on the right track here?

#1676 - 06/28/14 04:46 AM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
Hal Offline

Again, salt may be a better preservative for fish. As for the odor, it should be just about as strong. Remember, unpreserved bait begins to spoil immediately. That may give it a stronger odor. -- Hal

#1677 - 06/28/14 06:34 AM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
michaelp7318 Offline

I talked to my local fur buyer last night,(who is a professional trapper). He told me fresh freeze the fish and thaw fish out before going out to set traps.He has been trapping for 30 years in my area and he has kept detailed records, and has found fresh or fresh frozen and thawed to have a higher catch rate than preserved regardless of temp. He also told me if i was going to preserve to use salt as Hal stated. About the sodium benzoate , If i had opened the bucket, the instructions were in sealed bag inside bucket. 1 (one) cup per gallon of fish or what ever you are preserving.

#1678 - 08/07/14 08:58 PM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like to use salt for the small bluegill I catch.
In a 5 gallon bucket I have one layer of salt, one layer of fish and so on. My question is,should I be taking the guts out of the fish or just leave them whole. Will be using them for coon and hopefully a mink or two.

#1679 - 08/08/14 07:16 AM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
Hal Offline

There is no need to gut little fish. -- Hal

#1680 - 08/15/14 06:32 AM Re: Freezing or perserving fresh caught fish
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
I do this every year. I freeze left over shad from fishing trips in zip lock snack size bags. They work very well in dirt holes as well as on the creeks and rivers. I will keep a bag or two in the back of my truck and let them taint some then put a bag on my defroster to thaw on the way to my trap line. A very good bait and a cheap, easy way to put up and keep. I have also used them after they had been froze a couple of years with good luck. Sorry I did not see this post earlier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.