Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16713 - 04/01/05 05:16 PM Is this board helpful?
Homeradam Offline

I found this site about 2 weeks ago and have found the information very useful but am a little concerned about the attitude of the members. For example, someone recently had a question about waxed dirt. I found the question interesting and would have never thought about doing that. But it appears that some think we're all trapline educated or should have been looking at the board since it's conception. I'm not trying to be a smarta** but I was always told that the only dumb question is one that isn't asked. Please be considerate of those of us who are new to this fantastic sport and keep letting us ask questions. Thank you.

#16714 - 04/01/05 05:57 PM Re: Is this board helpful?
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
I glanced over the post you are refering too and the question was quit specific in regards to whether or not the mixture was ruined due to over heating. 45/70 sent him a PM, as noted,and as well offed a good suggestion to go into the archives for further data concerning waxed dirt. There's alot of good data in there. The topic has been discussed in the past, and still available for those that wish to explore specific topics.

There are a couple underlying traits of this board that everyone seems to abide by for the most part. It's progressive, informative, to the point, and only those with first hand knowledge pertaining to the topic reply. It's the bosses wish, and it works. Many may not have first hand knowledge about waxed dirt, let alone if you can ruin a batch by overheating. I could make an assumption on whether or not the batch of waxed dirt was ruined, but that is not answering with first hand knowledge.

That said, I mean no disrespect to you and hope you don't take my reply as such. Keep asking questions, and jump in whenever you want. It's an informative board and you're sure to find it a usefull tool. Check out the "On track" as well. Lots of usefull, to the point, topics in there as well.

#16715 - 04/01/05 07:03 PM Re: Is this board helpful?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Hold on!

I just looked at that waxed dirt thread. I thought 45/70 handled that quite appropriately. Worst of it is, Bill is one of the most laid back and non-controversial members we have. I hope he doesn’t read this thread.

Here’s what Bill wrote:

Quote:
archer01:

I have sent you an e/mail.

Also, go down to the Archives, select "Land Animals & Trapping". enter Waxed Dirt into the "Search' box, and you will get several hits both as to waxed dirt, and other freeze proof methods.

It has been my general observation, that new members to Hal's Forum, do not realize the benefit of the Archives, and fail to look them over. There is a lot of information there, as many, many of the questions asked, are asked by new members/trappers, and have been asked many times.

I realize that your question had a slightly different slant, as regards smoking wax.

However, please, to not take this as criticism. It is simply a well intended tip.

Adios, and good luck with your project,
45/70,
RKBA !!!
You don’t know how close I came to posting “Thank You Bill” at the bottom of that. Now, if you too are interested in waxed dirt, follow the directions Bill has provided. In fact I made a post myself just a couple days ago “Rites of Spring” in which I too encouraged people to use the Archives.

“it appears that some think we're all trapline educated or should have been looking at the board since it's conception”

That is patently untrue. If we had expected you to be trapline educated, and if we had expected you to have been looking at the board since its inception – then we would have no need for the Archives on this site. One of the reasons we try to keep our topics here from going astray, and try to keep chatter and banter from disrupting a good topic is so that the topic may later be placed in the Archives and provide a more concise educational reference for future inquiry.

However, since you are new, and you haven’t been hanging around here for three or four years (45/70 registered in April 2001). You probably don’t realize how many times some of the same questions have been asked or how much material has already been written or contributed on a subject. Some folks have written thousands of words and offered very detail explanations of how to do things. You can’t expect them to re-write and repeat this stuff time and time again, just because somebody new wants to hear it.

I don’t see that we are inhibiting the development of new trappers, and I don’t see that we are preventing anyone from asking a question. However, if you do ask a question, and you’re told to go check the Archives, then that’s what you should do. Or conversely, you can go check the archives first, and maybe not have to ask the question at all. We don’t at all mind helping new trappers, but there’s nothing wrong with new trappers helping themselves as well.

smile -- Hal

#16716 - 04/01/05 08:25 PM Re: Is this board helpful?
ErikT Offline

Loc: South Central PA
This is a decent forum and there is a ton of info in the archives.
HOWEVER, it seems the reply to many posts, especially beginner posts, is simply "Check the archives"....

#16717 - 04/01/05 09:13 PM Re: Is this board helpful?
Mallard Offline

Loc: Traverse City,Mi,USA
with all due respect Erik, doesn't the fact that an archives exist show an effort by Hal to preserve this data so that it can be used and re-used by each and all, now and forever? If a question is asked and re-asked time and time again, doesn't that suggest that the archives isn't being used by that individual? While the "check the archives" responce may well seem like a skipping record to some, the questions like "What's the best canine trap", or "how to make fish oil", or "offset or not" may seem like a skipping record to others as well. Like Hal said, if you write out a lengthy responce to the topic at some point, you shouldn't have to re-type the responce every time it's asked.

Just my $.02, and again....no disrespect towards you.

#16718 - 04/01/05 09:15 PM Re: Is this board helpful?
Edge Offline

Loc: UP of Michigan
**HOWEVER, it seems the reply to many posts, especially beginner posts, is simply "Check the archives".... **

I thought Hal pretty much summed that one up,but apparently not;I'll give it a whack.

I have been on trapping forums now for about 4 yrs;give or take.I moderate 3 boards,and in that capacity I try to answer all questions as factually as possible.Sometimes the best answer is,check the archives.

The archives not only answer questions that have been asked a million times or so(and thats not bad,they are very popular questions)but they also empower newbies to ask more specific questions;which not only help them,but the other forum members as well.

Until you have answered

"whats the best trap"

"how do you nightlatch"

"what is a PIT pan"

"Bait or lure"

"how do you make a dirthole set"

and "why are my traps getting dug up"

about a zillion times,you may not be able to appreciate the archives section.

Having learned trapping and honed my skills during the fur boom;I can offer this,right now there is countless eons of experience available to you at the click of a mouse;be thankful for that,and complain a little less about not getting a written out response (often times by a professional trapper)with every question you ask.

Next time some electronic widget fails in your vehicle;try a master mechanics forum and see how fast the info comes in.

If this is out of line,Hal,I will accept the axe,and sorry in advance;some people just dont know how good they got it.

Edge

#16719 - 04/02/05 01:06 AM Re: Is this board helpful?
mikeak Offline

Loc: mansfield Mo.
Well,edge beat me to it.I'm pretty new to this forum,a couple 2 or 3 months.This may be my first post.I've scoured the archives and there is an incredible amount of info. there.I just started trapping again after 20 yrs or so,there was no internet available then and I did'nt really know any trappers.I've learned more in the last few months than in all the years before.I wonder if some people realize how fortunate we are to have someone like Hal provide this forum for us,at no charge,got any idea what this kind of info and access to profesional trappers would cost us?Personaly,I am gratefull to those who share their knowledge with us.Lets not waste their time.Avail yourself to the info.provided in these archives,help yourself a little and these guys will welcome your questions.Sorry,off on a rant.Will go back to lurking around.
Thanks to all,Mike

#16720 - 04/02/05 01:18 AM Re: Is this board helpful?
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Yup, what Mike just said. I too, as a newbie, am scouring the archives. And you know what? You'll find answers in there to questions that you didn't think to ask yet. Check it out man, only don't go there with a chip on your shoulder. You may run into a beaver with a huge overbite! eek Also, the only dumb question you can ask is the one that you already know the answer to. laugh Enjoy, and stay cool, Frank.

#16721 - 04/02/05 01:22 AM Re: Is this board helpful?
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
Hey I asked the question that started this.
I'm a new member looking at both sides.
At this point I could jump on either side.
First of all let me tell you I got the best answer in a email.
I'm tickled pink. thankyou.
But, I do pick up on the additude he's talking about in other replies. I think the biggest problem is that I and other newbies are too ancious to talk to some one . The forum doesn't use big enough lettlers and bold print to get us to look at the archives until we are told. We didn't know these questions were asked a million times. I hope these other new guys will understand and
hopefully not be lost. Someday we could learn something from them.
End this now !
Thanks archer01

#16722 - 04/02/05 04:48 AM Re: Is this board helpful?
carajou Offline

Loc: adirondack mtns. ny
i am also new to this site but not to trapping and in the short time iv'e been on this site i have found usefull insites on alot of tecniques that are not common in my area. i plan on using some of them this season personaly. almost all of them found in the older posts. so you other new guys should take some pointers from these guys. the time they invest in this site is because they want to help otherwise it wouldn't even be here.... so thanks hal keep up the good work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.