Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16729 - 10/19/09 01:24 AM Scent killer ?
joemilas Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Some people say that it is good to spray your traps with scent killer is this a good idea?

(Edit..Changed subject to match question..Ric)

#16730 - 10/19/09 03:36 PM Re: Scent killer ?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
No, it is not a good idea. It is foolishness. -- Hal

#16731 - 10/19/09 03:58 PM Re: Scent killer ?
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have never heard of doing such. You need to have "clean" traps by washing, boiling, or dying of one manner or another. Then keep them in a area that is dry, and free as possible of foregn odors such as Gasoline etc.

#16732 - 10/19/09 05:22 PM Re: Scent killer ?
Hal Online   content

If you have to keep a trap free from the odor of gasoline, how does anyone ever catch anything in dipped traps?

quest -- Hal

#16733 - 10/19/09 06:34 PM Re: Scent killer ?
PeaRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: Missouri
I do not use the dip products. But as I understand it, the drying out period allows for much of the odor to vaporize and dissapate.

I am primarily speaking of using common sense around the traps. I could, but choose not to store my traps in my farm equipment areas, insecticde, herbacide buildings and so forth.

#16734 - 10/19/09 09:37 PM Re: Scent killer ?
cadcamky Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
He is just asking a simple question.

#16735 - 10/19/09 10:38 PM Re: Scent killer ?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
cadcamky
Initiate Member
Member # 4615 wrote:

"He is just asking a simple question."

cadcamky: These boards are for instructive use. I STRONGLY suggest that you reserve your answers for such a purpose. confused

#16736 - 10/19/09 11:34 PM Re: Scent killer ?
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
This scent killer is not needed because your traps as mentioned before hand should of been cleaned before hand. The best things to do is wear gloves while either making the set and remove to bait or vice versa, make sure your traps are rock solid (stable), set in areas that you know hold your targeted animal, and try to be speedy with your set construction (do not confuse this with making a set 100mph, I simply mean make a good stable set and don't linger around for a long time)

#16737 - 10/20/09 12:00 AM Re: Scent killer ?
Hal Online   content

About the only odors on a trap that you really have to worry about are food odors, and lure odors. These odors will elicit a digging response. The lingering odor of gasoline will not elicit a digging response.

This used to be a real bugaboo. Some trappers even suggested that you should have a seperate set of shoes for when you stop and gas up your vehicle so you wouldn't get gas and oil on your trapping shoes.

Frankly, I thought that "dips" would never catch on when they were first introduced because of this old gasoline bugaboo. But they did, and eventually after folks caught a few critters in their gasoline soaked traps (including some very respectable trappers), the old gasoline bugaboo just couldn't hold water anymore.

Again, the odors you need to worry about are bait and lure odors, don't get these odors on your clean traps. You can avoid this by handling your lures and baits with gloves, then handle your traps with clean hands, or handle your baits and lures with your hands, and put on clean gloves to handle your traps.

Leave the scent killer for the deer hunters -- although I doubt it does them much more good than it does for trappers. smile

Hal

#16738 - 10/20/09 02:15 AM Re: Scent killer ?
joemilas Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Thanks for the info!
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.