Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16744 - 04/05/06 01:28 AM Politically Correct Terminology?
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
In regards to the recent topics of cable restraints....I thought it would be appropiate for all us trappers to now regard foothold traps as paw restraining devices. I mean look what cable restraints have done for Michigan?
The idea behind the different wording was to clear the air of the term SNARE. Then the public would have a new awakening on aircraft cable devices. Did or does the rewording of trapping related terminology make a difference to the public and their acceptance of what we do? The jury is still out. But if you consider how much trapping info is available via the internet...I really doubt it.
Oh by the way I'm still having a difficult time coming up with a Politically Correct name for the Bodygripping trap. Body squeezer...naw. How about spine readjuster? Naw...

#16745 - 04/05/06 02:11 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
jwr Offline

Loc: ark
Youre bored aint ya.

#16746 - 04/05/06 02:09 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
Mike, What about animal detaining gate? A critter expiration date machine? A politically correct "fat chance" becomes an "obese opportunity".

#16747 - 04/05/06 02:28 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Actually, I touched on this in one of the other threads.

We have already moved into this arena. If you remember foothold traps were, and still are, referred to as "leghold" traps in some instances. I think foothold is a good term, and probably more descriptive than leghold, which is one reason why I am fairly adamant about using that term here on the boards. (You'll note that this is also the term used in BMPs). This term also has a politically correct basis, in that we avoid "perceived" images of traps with a huge jaw spread that catch animals halfway to the shoulder.

Frankly, I was opposed to the term "cable restraint" when I first heard it. But, it may have some merit. It is descriptive of the device. Also, "snares" do suffer from the same perceptions as "leghold" traps. The term "snare" often conjures up the notion of a noose tied to a bent-over pole that when activated is going to jerk an animal off its feet, and hang it like a criminal in the town square.

I really don't know how much the "general public" harbors this notion. I really suspect not a whole lot because Florida and New Jersey didn't bother to ban Snares when they banned other types of traps. (However, since that time it seems like every state that has lost its traps has lost its snares too.) Some of the major opposition to getting snares reintroduced, has come from houndsmen. These folks do have about a half a notion of what snares are, and they're the ones who envision the snare as a strictly lethal device.

And in truth, the perception of the snare as a strictly lethal device does not stop with houndsmen. Really, the concept of non-lethal snaring was/is foreign to many trappers. Look right here on this board. We have had trappers on here who were incredulous that folks would set snares in a non-lethal manner. So if trappers themselves can't conceive of non-lethal snares, how are we going to convince everyone else?

There is another element of this in the "relaxing lock" that we use on these non-lethal snares/cable restraints. Anybody who has any more than passing experience with snares, knows that there is more "political correctness" in a relaxing lock than there is real life application or expectations.

The bottom line here? We do exercise our privilege to trap at the behest of the general public, and to some extent our fellow sportsmen. Words mean a lot. As much as we may find it distasteful, some terms actually do present a more appealing picture. It may be more palatable if we think of these terms as "politically advantageous" rather than politically correct.

smile -- Hal

#16748 - 04/05/06 06:01 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
I wonder how one would define "politically advantageous"...the politically correct way to say politically correct; a Halism for politically correct. I do like it though even if it is the best example of double double talk I've seen recently.

#16749 - 04/05/06 07:18 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
ad·van·ta·geous adj. Affording advantage; See beneficial.
See Synonyms at beneficial. adj. 1. Producing or promoting a favorable result;
SYNONYMS: beneficial, profitable, advantageous. These adjectives apply to what promotes benefit or gain.
In our case we benifit from the terminology promoting a better system.
We profit by what is a good system.
So it gives us the advantage.
As trapers we are suposed to know what we are talking about. So if we do and the anti's don't
there lies the advantage.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone??

#16750 - 04/05/06 07:29 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
ThumbStateTrapper Offline

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
Hey Mike,
How about chiropractic restaint device? lol

#16751 - 04/05/06 08:40 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
"we benifit from the terminoligy promoteing a better system"

Well I guess that is the problem as far as I'm concerned.I haven't read one cable restraint rule that describes a better system

#16752 - 04/05/06 08:49 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It's the thought that counts.

smile -- Hal

#16753 - 04/06/06 01:11 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
wabi Offline

Loc: Southern Ohio (near Blue Creek...
I think as trappers most of us think of the same devices whether we say snare or cable restraint , or leghold or foothold trap. But the general public may have a much different picture in their mind when we use these terms. I'd guess cable restraint and foothold trap would be less likely to cause thoughts of animal abuse.
Perhaps we should try to use the description that causes the least controversy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.