Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#16764 - 04/10/06 09:09 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Eldridge, Alabama
I think trapper's like the term 'snare' cause it's easier to spell, lol.

Notice I didn't attempt to say that 'other word'.

#16765 - 04/15/06 12:52 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
nelacres Offline

Loc: Vermont
As far as trapping goes, we are capable of catch and release if we want to. I am sure some of us, myself included have released an unintended catch.
Mouse glue boards, it "must" be more humane to have a mouse get stuck and starve to death than to have it wacked in the back of the head and killed instantly. When I die I want to starve to death no fast end of life for me. :p
Haven't thought of something polictcaly correct term for conibears yet. confused

#16766 - 04/15/06 01:27 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
How about just thinking of the correct term for that type of trap, political or not. "Conibear®" is a registered trademark of Oneida Victor. There are many other companies that make bodygrip traps.

smile -- Hal

#16767 - 04/17/06 01:52 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Bryce Offline

Loc: Manitowoc CO WI
We have cable restraints now in WI. I do not use them as of yet, due to the regulations and the time that it will take me to learn that new device.
However,
There are many that really are upset with WI because of the cable restraint issue and the research that was done. Many long term snaring states now blame us for their problems with snares and snaring. Well if that is what you want and need to do knock yourself out. If your state has had snares for 100 years or forever and research done 1,000 miles away causes your state game laws to change, either the laws were wrong or the trappers and snare people did not take the time to keep their agencies and politicians upt to speed that the tools they use were the BMPS for their wildife management. WI did what they thought was in their best interest to be able to get the use of cable restraints to trappers in WI. That goal was accomplished such as it is in the eyes of many.
Also due to that successful research and study now cable restraints are available to many more trappers in many states and others nearly so within the last 2-4 years. Up until that time newly created tool opportunities in most states had been stagnant for decades.
This whole cable restraint issue is yet another example of the limited amount of trapper data there is out there to support our industry and increasing our harvest options in those states that have limitations.
Cable restraints may be a bad word to many trappers but for some it defines increased opportunity and not lost opportunity.
Down the road as the results of our seasons progress there may be real opportunities to review current regulations and limitations and they can be changed to best serve the harvesters and manage the wildlife.

Bryce

#16768 - 04/18/06 03:57 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
"…newly created tool opportunities in most states had been stagnant for decades."

Do your research. Ohio got snares, with very few restrictions in 1996. West Virginia got them shortly thereafter based on Ohio law. Michigan got them next, but subsequently had the legs kicked out from under them by their own DNR.

You should also note that in Ohio the initiative was undertaken by trappers. Specifically, the Ohio State Trappers Association. But, I don't remember anybody from the WI trappers association contacting the OSTA about snaring. It's quite possible we may have been able to help -- had Wisconsin trappers taken the initiative.

In Wisconsin the initiative was not undertaken by trappers. The initiative was undertaken by DOW personnel who lacked a fundamental knowledge of snares and snaring. The regulations, as promulgated, reflect this lack of knowledge. Where was the WI trappers association in all this. What was their input?

"WI did what they thought was in their best interest to be able to get the use of cable restraints to trappers in WI."

Yes, but I just can't envision anyone exhibiting pride in the outcome.

frown -- Hal

#16769 - 04/19/06 09:41 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
Hal,
Just wanted to let you know I have read your post. I will review the WTA history involvement from the get go with Rick and also John Olsen and some of the original research cable restraint users. I will then post the chronological order of who was involved, when and as you state trappers were not involved correctly or early. I am and always was under the impression the WTA was actively involved in the Cable restraint initiative from the beginning. It will take some time to receive information from those involved and I will post my findings when I have that completed.
My hope in posting was not to continue to wedge trappers apart nor help others become more creative in what to call a snare but I approached the issue incorrectly. It seems that an issue such as this would have been a good one for a regional group such as the Midwest Regional of the NTA or FTA to be a part of and or heavily involved with.

Bryce

#16770 - 04/19/06 05:49 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
Bryce, the cable restraint/snare issue has been discussed...and in detail at at least at one regional meeting. John Olsen discussed it in detail.

#16771 - 04/19/06 07:44 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
Mike I am aware of that discussion. What I want to find out is information that will tell the chronological time frame and who initiated the cable restraint program. Hal's post indicates the WTA was not involved or not effective. That is what I need to find out.

Bryce

#16772 - 04/23/06 07:48 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I just discovered that poor public notions about trapping can be disspelled by show and tell! My job takes me to several townships, where I share my trapping exploites with the ladies who hold office positions there. Telling them what I do, without going into descript detail, still gets some wrinkled noses and some 'eewwws'. But I just got my beaver hides back from USA Foxx and Furs, so I decided to show those women what the 'raw material' looks like. Soft and silky, I got nothing but 'wows' and 'awesome's from them. I'm fixing to make a vest out of them, and all the ladies can't wait to see the final product. All of a sudden, trapping ain't all bad after all!! Just thought y'all would like to know that. Frank. cool

#25405 - 10/17/17 12:35 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology? [Re: Mike Marchewka]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.