Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16754 - 04/06/06 01:12 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
LOL! on some of those terminologies for traps.
Hal hit the nail as did Ric and others...we are using kinder gentler terms to appease the uneducated public....BUT....I would change terminologies tommorrow IF it meant peolple would understand us better.

#16755 - 04/06/06 11:50 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
The same people that down us will use a chocker chain to restrain there pet.
confused
I think cable restraint and foot hold will be the best terminology we will be able to use.
That and educate the public to low impact traping.

#16756 - 04/06/06 12:33 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Jim Ramsdell Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Maine
If we give an inch won't they (anti's, general public) take a mile?? If this keeps up, we'll go the way of the fishermen, and we'll all have to practice "catch & release" trapping. We should stick to our guns and be proud of what we do, no matter what they care to call our equipment. Imagine this for a moment.....All mouse trap manufactuers will stop making the traditional spring loaded trap and people will have to learn how to capture them using a "cable restraint" which could be the industry standard if this crap keeps up. STAND FIRM!! "I trap, therefore, I am a Trapper!!"

Jim

#16757 - 04/06/06 01:16 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
I got to stay out of this---Or get banned----

#16758 - 04/06/06 03:58 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
Can you imagine trying to trap beaver with a 4x4 sheet of glue board? Thats where mouse trapping has gone.

#16759 - 04/06/06 08:26 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Sigh. I'm usually a fan of direct communication and not fond of euphenisms.

But politics and advocacy are a different realm. Studies of voters and jurors show that people react differently to different words that really mean the same thing.

Jim

#16760 - 04/07/06 12:07 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
T.J.
You sure drilled this one! Words are everything. If y'all don't agree, just take this simple test. Picture, if you will, my little get away in northern WI. First, I'll describe it as a 'cabin'. Got a good pic of it? Now, let me tell you it's a 'cottage'. Wow! See a little different building? Now, for the real pic.It's a 'shack'. Can you hear the tar paper blowin' in the breeze? Words! Between us and the public, it's the only tool we got. Let's use it wisely. Frank. cool

#16761 - 04/07/06 01:20 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
Good points guys. Newt are you saying that these points don't have any merit or like all of us you are just frustrated to he77?
Me, I would refer to a snare as a "chiropractic restraint device" (I loved that one)or anything else IF it would get OUR STATE to allow us to use it. YES it is jumping through hoops...it sucks but its better than not having it.

#16762 - 04/07/06 01:50 PM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Newt wants to rant and rave and tell them all to kiss his donkey. He wants to voice the frustration that we all feel. But please note, he doesn't. And I very much appreciate that.

I have said a thousand times… we are granted the privilege to trap by the rest of society. We bear no special status. Yes we do provide a public service in that we play a key role in wildlife management. We also play a role in utilizing a renewable natural resource that would otherwise go to waste. There are a number of other points that we might make in convincing the general public to allow us to maintain our privileges.

An "in-your-face" attitude will get us nowhere. It is, in fact, counter productive. That is why I appreciate that even though many trappers are frustrated to the top of their hat, they do maintain their decorum in public.

smile -- Hal

#16763 - 04/10/06 11:54 AM Re: Politically Correct Terminology?
grayfox Offline

Loc: Northern New York
Quote:
I have said a thousand times… we are granted the privilege to trap by the rest of society. We bear no special status.
Better words could not have been spoken!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.