Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1710 - 07/11/14 10:32 PM trap staking
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
I hope I'm not out of line here. I just read an article in the Alabama outdoor publication, I believe it is called AOL. Sorry I left it in AL at my daughters home by accident. The article was on coyote trapping and for staking the author was using wire conduit pipe, a single 18 inch piece and he stated that you should put your securement on the pipe, drive it in and the top would spread out thru pounding on it enough to secure the trap and he specificy stated "an elephant could not pull this out of the ground".
This sounds like a recipe for disasture to me, how can a 18 inch smooth wall flimsy pipe with the top mushroomed hold a coyote? Am I wrong here or does this need to be refuted immediatly before folks take it to heart and take it as gospel? I don't have a problem with contacting the folks responsible for publishing this magazine and raising heck about it but I thought I'd get you alls thoughts on it first. Hal, Ric, please chime in here, I think this is wrong & I could use some advice on how to state this to the publishers. I do not have the time (long haul trucker going back to work Monday) to get the conduit and prove this wrong. Sorry if I raised noob over nothing but this really has been bugging me and I apologized that I did not have the magizine article in hand to state author/date/etc. If ya'll consider this hear say, I'll have my daughter mail the magizine to me and we'll discuss this further in 8 weeks. Again, sorry I did not bring the magizine home with me so I could qoute absolutly from it. That 'hear say' makes me a little nevious, as Mr Sullivane has been know to whack folks for that.
Thanks, Richard

#1711 - 07/12/14 05:40 AM Re: trap staking
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Smooth is not good. Try it for yourself to see the difference. Rerod can be quite the challenge compared to smooth cold role or similar.

I did not read the article, but is it possible you misunderstood? Could they have been using a section of conduit to which a section of wire is added?

I understand your concern and I would not try out what you have described in a trapping situation until I would have tested it a few times in the yard. Just off hand, it sounds as if the conduit is of one time use since it gets deformed. That is a big negative right there.

You are also correct in that bad information is out there. However, I would not expect to find it in a serious trapping magazine or forum. Too many experienced trappers would point out the error and the publication would lose credibility.

#1712 - 07/12/14 03:19 PM Re: trap staking
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Oh for cryin' out loud!

That's just plain stupid. And you can tell them I said so. (That's the kind of crap you get when non-trappers try to publish trapping articles.)

Hal

#1713 - 07/14/14 12:07 AM Re: trap staking
Richard2 Offline

Thanks Hal, thats about what I figured.I'll work on a semi correct email to them.
(That's the kind of crap you get when non-trappers try to publish trapping articles) - I forgot to mention that the fellow writting the article stated this was his first attempt at coyote trapping. Deeply disturbing that it would be published, I'd have probably believed it a year ago. So once again, thanks to you and everyone here.

#1714 - 07/14/14 12:14 AM Re: trap staking
Richard2 Offline

http://www.aonmag.com/article.php?id=3213&cid=26
Here is the link to the article.
Thanks, richard

#1715 - 07/14/14 07:49 AM Re: trap staking
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Actually, I thought the article linked above did a fairly good job of describing what we do so a non-trapper could understand. The use of cable stakes was mentioned, and the conduit was used to make a mouse hole, which would probably pull out a plug of dirt, eliminating the need to wiggle the pipe a lot. No mention of elephants. smile

Frank.

#1716 - 07/14/14 08:14 AM Re: trap staking
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Is that on-line article different from the print article? I didn't see an mention of staking with conduit. -- Hal

#1717 - 07/25/14 11:56 PM Re: trap staking
Richard2 Offline

Thank you Hal & Frank for not kicking my butt on this altho I deserved it. I posted the link without reading the whole article. I assumed it was the same one and well we all know what assume can and did in this case make of me. Lesson learned. The article on flat sets is the one that stated using conduit for staking and I can not get an online link for it. If you'll go about half way down the article you'll see - There are two kinds of trapping sets I will discuss in this article. One is the “flat set,” which can be done for about $60. Flat sets only require four things—a hammer, metal conduit, a whisk broom and three traps. Turn to page 20 for how to get your flat sets going.- I apoligize for posting an incorrect link.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.