Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17130 - 11/19/02 04:08 AM Re: dispatching catches
old number 7 Offline

Loc: Oregon
I do use the bop em in the head treatment also. but this year I am taking my 11 and 12 year olds out with me and I wasn't sure how they would react to the compression part. I told them that if they make the set then they have to do the rest also.

#17131 - 11/19/02 09:00 AM Re: dispatching catches
Tony Dingess Offline

Loc: Harts, WV
I have been using a hoe handle walking stick for years to tap a catch between the eyes (from coyote to bobcat), then the ritual of standing on the lung behind the front shoulder. It has always been quick and clean, but the exception is coon and skunk. I simply find coon to be too much trouble to knock out, and skunk is self explanatory. For the troublesome critter I like the the lung shot with the .22 yellowjackets.

#17132 - 11/19/02 09:27 PM Re: dispatching catches
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
I think I've mentioned this before, but I got spooked on the "compression" (standing on the shoulder) technique when I was still learning to trap. Having read about this dispatch method, I tapped a fox on the head and stepped on top of him after he dropped to the ground. Suddenly, the fox came back to life and bit through both sides of my boot.

After that, I learned to tap them just a bit harder. I found that there is only a slight margin between the force required to render unconsciousness and that required to cause death. (But if you hit too hard you make your skinning job harder.) This is also true of humans, I understand, which makes the standard movie cliche of the hero getting knocked out by a blow to the head seem rather absurd. In actuality, the amount of force required to cause unconsciousness is only slightly less than that which would cause concussion or death. And that slightly lesser degree depends on a lot of variables. (Moral: don't ever try to knock someone out by hitting them on the skull with a hard object unless you are also prepared to kill them.) But now I digress.

The method I describe above only worked for me on fox. I wasn't able to dispatch a coon that way without creating an unpleasant skinning job, and resorted to using a .22. Now, most of my sets are made to dispatch the animal after the catch; I carry a .22 handgun in case of a live wolf or wolverine, which I will shoot through the heart/lung area.

Jim

Jim

#17133 - 11/20/02 11:23 PM Re: dispatching catches
TrappinNewf Offline

Loc: Newfoundland
All my water sets are always rigged to drown. The odd time a mink gets tangled on shore I give it light smack and pin it under the water. For foxes I too am a practitioner of 'bop' and 'stomp' with one little difference. I always wear leather insulated gloves and reach down and tightly clench the snout right over the nose while my weight is on the rib cage. I began this early in my trapping experience and think it makes the dispatch quicker. Lynx get the pole/snare. I have no experience with Coyotes as they have only recently arrived in this Province and I have yet to take one.

#17134 - 11/21/02 12:00 AM Re: dispatching catches
mdcoon35 Offline

Loc: stockton md USA
i dispacth every thing by shooting in the head with a .22 long rifle a little messy but its ok :rolleyes:

#17135 - 11/22/02 02:15 PM Re: dispatching catches
mly692 Offline

Loc: Somerset, PA
I'm surprised no one has mentioned cervical dislocation. I use this with grey fox, possum, and small to medium raccoons. I render the animal unconscious with a tap from my trowel. The trowel is then placed across the animals neck with one of my feet on either end. I then grab the hind legs and pull up until I feel the neck dislocate. I have found this to be a lot easier for me than lung compression. Every thing else gets a 22 hollow point between the eyes.

#17136 - 11/24/02 07:55 PM Re: dispatching catches
mrfox Offline

Loc: Danville, Indiana
Bop and stomp from the first year I ever learned to trap. Mom was afraid of me carrying a gun at 13 so I had no alternative. Even when I got old enough to carry a firearm I never used one to dipatch animals. Bop and stomped all of them from yotes, fox, coons, and opposum. Luckily I have never caught a skunk. I guess if I ever do I will go home and get my gun to shoot it!

#17137 - 11/28/02 01:42 AM Re: dispatching catches
foxtrappersteph Offline

Loc: east coast
Anyone ever use skunk injection fluid to dispatch a possum? I tried it yesterday and although it took 5 minutes,the possum did not seem to be in any more discomfort than if I lung shot it,then it went unconcious for a bit and finally died.It was in a cage trap and was very calm. I prob won't do it again,I'd rather it die quicker,but I have nothing to even compare it with as I have never caught a skunk so I have no experience using the stuff on a skunk even to see how long it takes for the skunk to go.

#17138 - 11/30/02 08:55 PM Re: dispatching catches
Limelight Offline

Loc: Iowa
I use regular .22 long rifle hollow points for coon, and don't have any exit holes. Steph, for possum a quick knock on the head causes immediate death, and is just as humane as a gunshot. I used to shoot possum as I do coon until I learned that they are not as tough as a coon and are easily dispatched with a blunt blow to the head.

#17139 - 01/12/03 12:11 AM Re: dispatching catches
Anonymous
Unregistered

1000 fps air rifle works well. Same power as a 22. They also make a 1250 fps. I can't use a 22 here. The air rifle is quite

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.