Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17140 - 03/06/06 06:05 AM take a dog trapping
halfrack Offline

Loc: Chatham, Va.
A good idea to figure out were the animals are that you are trapping is to take a dog. I have taken my labrador and she has found marked areas. Also you can find small game trails you might have not seen.

#17141 - 03/06/06 04:34 PM Re: take a dog trapping
muskman Offline

Loc: Weston,ohio
Wouldn't the presence of another canine spooke away other canines. But i guess i don't know if you are trapping canines.

#17142 - 03/06/06 04:38 PM Re: take a dog trapping
coonskinner89 Offline

Loc: columbia county NY
I would be concerned about the dog getting into a trap and fighting with a traped animal.

#17143 - 03/06/06 06:23 PM Re: take a dog trapping
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Takeing a dog on a trapline might be a good idea.A lot depends on the dog.It would need to be exceptionally well trained.If it could not execute the commands come, stay and heal flawlessly I can see no point in it.You would spend more time watching the dog than doing what you set out to do.
Muskman
"Would the presence of another K-9 spook other k-9's"...No,we use glands and urine from other K-9's all the time as lure
CS89
I would not be concerned about the dog getting into a trap and fighting a trapped animal.You are right there to release the dog,should not be anything more than a lesson for it.If the
trap is large enough to harm your dog it is large enough to harm someone elses and should not be used under those circumstances.Fighting with a trapped animal,refer to my comments on training

Personaly if I'm going to take the dog out that is what i'm doing.If i'm trapping I don't want to be concerned with what the dog is doing

#17144 - 03/06/06 06:42 PM Re: take a dog trapping
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
He meant to say he "wouldn't" be concerned about the dog getting in a trap.

smile -- Hal

#17145 - 03/06/06 06:57 PM Re: take a dog trapping
WI_Archer Offline

Loc: WI
I take our little house dog once in a while, mostly for a ride in the truck, but he likes to get out an run on the ice when trapping beaver and 'rats. Especially helpful for finding the vent hole on bank dens. Or little spots that 'rats like to come and sit. So far he hasn't caused me any lost time.

#17146 - 03/06/06 07:42 PM Re: take a dog trapping
muskman Offline

Loc: Weston,ohio
Sorry never really thought of it like that. Should've thought more before i typed.

#17147 - 03/06/06 09:47 PM Re: take a dog trapping
bigngreen Offline

Loc: Washington
I took my lion hounds on the line and they got me dead on location alot. They were great on recovering animals on drags. I never had a problen with them and trapped animals, they even helped with them as a coyote or cat would be more concerned with the dog making dispatching easier. I would let them work a set and get caught then give them a few minutes to think about it, hounds have to learn the hard way.
Taking the hounds on the line also served well in lion and cat season as if they got snared they new to just sit and wait, they never got in legholds after getting schooled on the trap line.
I really worked over the houndsmen in my area to get them and there dogs familiar with snares so they would not push bad snare regulations and wouldn't loose any dogs.

#17148 - 03/07/06 06:14 AM Re: take a dog trapping
woodtick Offline

Loc: NS , Can.
I have a shepard/lab mix breed that I take with me on my coyote line. I'm still fairly green at coyote trapping and the dog has put me onto locations that I would have more than likely overlooked. This past season I can count 3 coyotes that I caught that I can directly attribute to the dog putting me on location. and one of those after he showed me where to put the trap, he trailed the animal when it went for a run with the drag. smile
I agree with Ric, that unless a dog is well behaved it has no place on a trapline.
If you're unsure about taking a dog along with when actually trapping. It can be good learning experiences taking him for walks in the off season.

#17149 - 03/07/06 09:18 AM Re: take a dog trapping
WI_Archer Offline

Loc: WI
When I used to coon hunt my hound would always mark certain areas along the farm. I never trapped this area, but I would be willing to bet a few coyotes and fox that he was showing me some natural scent posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.