Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#17176 - 08/08/06 06:46 AM How long do you leave a set?
A.J. Offline

Loc: Collins, New York
Just wondering how long most people leave their
k-9 sets and do they re-lure them after a certain time period?

Thanks

AJ

#17177 - 08/08/06 07:28 AM Re: How long do you leave a set?
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
Great question and one I'm sure will draw several varied answers.
Personally for me once I make set it stays out the entire time I am at that location. For instance, If I'm at farm #1 I will make several sets in good, proven locations. Because of my area, my trapping grounds are limited so I keep sets working all season.
You might be surprised at the amount of fur you pick up by resisting the temptation of pulling those traps and leaving those sets out.
As far as lure and re-luring...depending on the type of set I usually give it a good dose and will wait for a catch. I will relure after a rain but keep in mind the concentrated odors of commercial lures and baits.
Check out C.Dobbins Land Sets... book for his Ten Second Set...its a good to use to build confidence on your canine line.

#17178 - 08/08/06 06:17 PM Re: How long do you leave a set?
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
Your target animal will have some bearing on how long you leave a set in. I will often leave an otter set in 21 days, and sometimes a week over that, depending on what is happening.

It also depends on how large an area your target animal will work, and the value of your target animal. Our line is not static, and is usually in motion, but if we are catching coyotes (live market), and seeing fresh sign, we'll stay in an area 3 weeks or so. At the same time we will usually be expanding our line.

I have been known to leave a working set in, after everything else near it has been pulled, and it is out of the way to check that set. Possibly, we will have to re-evalute this technique because of current fuel prices.

There are a lot of variables envolved in the decision to move a set or keep it in. Not the least of which may be if you're doing any ADC work thru the fur season.

Another factor might be how large a boundry of land you are working. Sometimes there may be only a couple of access points to a thousand acres or more. This may mean you are going to be using the same routes through the property. If you are going to pass that set site daily on your rounds thru a large tract of land, why not leave all the sets in until you pull out?

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#17179 - 08/09/06 12:41 PM Re: How long do you leave a set?
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Lots of things to consider in your question. For myself, deer season is a big concern, usually we have 2 weeks to trap before "buck" season, then we have "doe" season, then muzzeloader season. Bear season runs till January 1st. After Jan 1, the woods are empty, and I will sometimes keep a line going for 3 weeks, depending on the tracks. I'll re-lure after a week, or after each catch, or a rain/sleet/snow. Folks around here take their hunting serious, and don't want me out on the back 40 at 7 am. smile

#17180 - 08/09/06 12:50 PM Re: How long do you leave a set?
A.J. Offline

Thanks for the input guys.

#17181 - 08/10/06 08:28 AM Re: How long do you leave a set?
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
On the trap line once a set is made it is there for the season. Some sets will catch over and over again. But others....say a wolf or wolverine set might take 30-60 days to pan out.

For beavers and other ADC work where I'm after a specific target I give it three days, then I shift or change up my sets.

#17182 - 08/10/06 11:53 AM Re: How long do you leave a set?
A.J. Offline

If you leave a set for 30 to 60 days you re apply lure don't you?

#17183 - 08/10/06 04:43 PM Re: How long do you leave a set?
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
It depends on the set and the animal. Often the best sets are blind sets where you know the animal is going to eventually be and will work at the same location year after year This is critical if you are trapping wolves or wolverine, they have huge territories and might only come through once a season. A lynx cubby once it is set is good for the whole season. Marten and fisher boxes I re-scent weekly. Otter sets are good for the season unless it gets too cold. I also use a lot of bait stations, the snare sets are good for the season but I have to keep the bait up.

#25475 - 10/25/17 01:44 PM Re: How long do you leave a set? [Re: A.J.]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.