Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1718 - 10/22/14 02:47 PM Pan Cover Question
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Background:
I have never used pan covers before but I am trying them this year on selective sets, to help with the problem of rain washing the dirt covering beneath the pan. I bought a hunk of the black, fiberglass window screen, made a template and cut out about 50 screens to fit my Bridger #2's.
Question:
Do I still pack dirt INSIDE the jaws? or just OUTSIDE the jaws and then cover the screen?
Also ---- the screens are 5" X 6.5" with a cutout for the dog. The black fiberglass screen is quite flimsy.

#1719 - 10/23/14 05:58 AM Re: Pan Cover Question
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I do not want to be a kill joy, but I used that type of screening many years ago and was not happy with the amount of dug up traps I had.

I do not know if it was a contamination problem or a bedding one. I do know that waxed paper, instead of thin screening, solved the digging issue.

Try a few and see how they work for you. I would consider NOT setting all my traps with thin screening until you see how they perform.

Let us know how things turn out.

BTW: Stiff screen is a different story. It acts like a giant pan.

#1720 - 10/23/14 07:50 AM Re: Pan Cover Question
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Musher: Thank you. I will try a few sets with my flimsy screen just to see the results. With the stiffer, metal screen, that acts like a "giant pan", wouldn't that make for more toe catches? I messed up 2 years ago and put some #3 pans on #2 coilsprings and encountered that very problem. I changed them back. My thought with using screen was to let the rain flow through the covering. With waxed paper, won't the rain still wash the covering off the pan?

Ron

#1721 - 10/23/14 09:29 AM Re: Pan Cover Question
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I have no experience with the stiff pan covers. However, the people that use them seem to think that is the way to go for coyotes.

I do not have a big problem with rain washing the cover of dirt off of my traps when I use wax paper. The result is similar to when I used the screens. Heavy rain will expose both if the dirt covering over the trap isn't thick enough.

#1722 - 10/23/14 04:11 PM Re: Pan Cover Question
castiron Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Crumple up your wax paper then straighten it back out before putting it over your pan. This will make it much quieter. I use wax dirt or buckwheat hulls with a covering of natural dirt or chopped grass to blend my set in. The wax dirt or buckwheat hulls will let the water drain through to a certain extent. To much water and all you can do is make a reset.

#1723 - 10/24/14 08:45 AM Re: Pan Cover Question
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I will register as kill joy #2. I tried fiberglass screens many years ago, and gave up on them. All I use now is brown coffee filters.

Hal

#20366 - 11/18/14 04:45 AM Re: Pan Cover Question [Re: ron finewood]
tjm Offline

Loc: Jane,Missouri
had not much luck with fiberglass as well, most often I use grass or poly under the pan,but, cuting the whole roll of wax paper into lengths appropriate to the size of the traps and tearing off pan covers as I go has worked fine. Flatening the short rolls will prevent accidental unrolling.

#20410 - 11/19/14 09:56 PM Re: Pan Cover Question [Re: ron finewood]
Osky's Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Johnstown, Ohio USA
There was another similar thread like this and wax paper was suggested. After reading, I have tried this material and really like the results compared to the screen that I have used in the past. Before putting the paper over the pan I have been crumpling it up and then GENTLY unballing it (took a couple times to get the feel for it). I personally like how the wax paper forms around the pan, and dirt can somewhat be packed inside the jaws with out going under the pan. The screen will not conform to the pan and allow dirt to be packed inside the jaws, at least not above the screen. This year I have had one set that was "dug at", not dug up, that had a screen. I replaced the screen with wax paper and 2 days later had a coyote, maybe a coincidence, I don't know. I think I will try Hal' s method of using coffee filters and see what happens. Thanks for some good advice here.

#20435 - 11/20/14 05:03 PM Re: Pan Cover Question [Re: ron finewood]
Browtine75 Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Saratoga County, NY
Not that I'm an expert, but I used waxed paper (directly out of the spool and cut to size) and have caught two reds since. This was the first season I have tried same per my mentor......

#20438 - 11/20/14 05:46 PM Re: Pan Cover Question [Re: ron finewood]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Wax paper is tried and true. Trappers have been using it since it was invented. -- Hal

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.