Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17252 - 04/23/06 01:57 AM Setting bodygrips on the ground?
coon killer Offline

Loc: mn
quest how many of u mountain men think that 220 conibears should be allowed to be placed on the ground? (such as a cubby and bucket sets)

#17253 - 04/23/06 06:56 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I'm against It.
I'm sure the 220 Is a very effective coon trap and quite safe If used responsibly.And you may be the most ethical trapper In MN but how many others will be the same. It only takes one bad apple to catch some high profile persons dog and you are going to be SOL.
I'm sure there are states out there where trappers have lost the use of large body gripping traps or have had restrictions placed on them where It makes the use of the trap Ineffective. Like the regulation where you have to place the trap 6' off the ground.

Otter

#17254 - 04/23/06 09:45 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
offshoretrash Offline

Loc: farmerville,la
i you don't set them because you are scared to what does it matter if you loose the ability to set them.

i plan on setting a couple dozen this coming season. if i catch someones pet it shouldn't have been there to begin with i will be setting several miles from the nearest house. i am not stupid to go setting them close to someones home. but even if i did i would be perfectly legal in doing so as long as i had permission or on state land.

#17255 - 04/23/06 10:55 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
The purpose of this trapping forum is EDUCATION. Debating whether or not a trapper should set a 220 in such a manner, or in a location, where non-target species might get caught isn't going to educate anyone.

It also might encourage a young trapper to develop a "dash the torpedos" mentality. That's not the type of education this site is trying to promote.

Discussing certain types of sets with 220's, in appropriate situations, might be useful and interesting. It might also be educational. smile

#17256 - 04/23/06 11:13 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
offshoretrash Offline

i have to disagree musher. one of the most important things the young trappers needs is to be taught were or were not to set their traps regardless of the kind. i think that is a very educational point. to teach future generations the ethics we will have less problems dealing with the public. even though the law is on your side it don't make it right to get yourself in a situation were you could catch someones pet. but if you are in a remote area why not set what ever traps that are legal in your area.

i don't see were any post were not educational except yours

#17257 - 04/23/06 11:24 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
BruceT Offline

Loc: Northern Maine
Where do you think people use hunting dogs?Its not around houses but where you are talking about setting the traps.Miles away from houses and state lands.

#17258 - 04/23/06 11:35 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
coon killer Offline

Loc: mn
thank you offshoretrash i think u are 100% right. musher who are u to deside? this is ric's or hal's choice. part of trapping is knowing where and how u can catch the game animals not the pets and this is educ.

#17259 - 04/23/06 11:41 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
offshoretrash Offline

i plan on setting them on 3000 acres of leased land that is several miles from the nearest house. i would not set them on state lands until all the seasons were closed even though i have a legal right to do so. our trapping season is still open after all hunting seasons are closed so there shouldn't be any hunting dogs out. if the dogs owners let them loose after season they are they are the one's breaking the law.

#17260 - 04/23/06 01:41 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Trapper Joe Offline

Loc: New brunswick
Some of you guys are going to go nuts over this.

I can legally set any conibear, (size 330 on down), on the ground as long as I am 300 yards or more from the nearest house. Furthermore, unless the land is posted, I do not need to ask for permission. Same for snares.

Every year a few dogs get caught but DNR says dogs should not be running at large in a resort of wildlife. I have never seen anyone hunting with dogs, but I understand it is done in a few places.

#17261 - 04/23/06 01:47 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
offshoretrash Offline

joe our laws are the same there are no restictions as to were or what size conibear you can use.

i have thought about setting some cubbys for bobcats with 330s

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.