Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#17272 - 05/03/06 09:44 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
coon killer Offline

Loc: mn
im not for 330 on the ground beacuse every thing a 330 can do on land a 220 can and i am for this. yes there are ethic. trappers smile and im one of them. smile i have a very $ dog and i would not want it trapped but its also is the dogs owner to make sure the dog does not run wild. not the trappers fault. i hunt and trap and i believe that we both have the same right to be in the woods.

#17273 - 05/04/06 02:22 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Sorry, I'll stick to using 330s at appropriate lands sets -- I doubt a 220 would be up to dispatching wolverine, or that a lynx would even enter one.

Jim

#17274 - 05/04/06 04:01 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Jim: I have several lynx caught in 220's. I like a hollow log as the cubby. The cubby must be deep enough so that there is no way for the cat to go fishing with its feet. It also helps if you place the set at lynx face level.

smile

P.S. it's a very dangerous set for dogs.

#17275 - 05/04/06 05:26 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
That's interesting, musher. I had thought otherwise; but you have far more experience than I do with that animal.

What about using a Belisle 220? Seems to me that one would hold a lynx even if caught by the foot.

Jim

#17276 - 05/04/06 08:08 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I don't know about the 220 Belisles. I do know that a 120 LDL mag holds them by the foot.

#17277 - 05/06/06 04:59 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
mntrapper Offline

Loc: MN
I Guess I don't know how you are setting this your coni's on the ground but in my case I set then in wooden cubbie boxes or buckets. When I constructed the boxes I cut the slots back 6-8 inches so the trap is actually back from the cubby entrance acout 4". This alone in my book is far enough back that a canine, except grey fox, won't stick his head in far enough to spring the trap. I think it was Asa Lenon that wrote on the topic of the dirt hole set, that a canine, be it a coyote, fox whatever likes to be able to see all of his surroundings and stick ing their head into a bucket or cubby box would violate that rule to the Nth degree and make them (I think) too uncomfortable. With that being said, I did construct some of the cubbies with about a six inch lip or overhang on the roof of the cubbies for trapping in an area where there is the remotest chance of a domestic dog being caught. But as far as the original question of the thread of what I think about coni's on the ground. In MN they have to be 220 or smaller and I absolutely love trapping on the ground with them. It lengthens the time in which I have to check them as the are a killer trap, sometimes that business of having to check my snares and footholds everyday becomes almost ompossible with a busy family life/ work schedule. And I also think that we should hold on to every right that we still have with dear life. I have read too many articles or threads where trappers from states in which the use of conibears is banned just simply wish they had that right. Granted I think that we would all adapt and overcome if we were no longer able to use them, but until that day comes I will continue to use my coni's on the ground in a responsible manner. Granted there are those who use them in a reckless manner but who is going to stop it but us? So do yourself a favor and take actions into your own hands and educate those who use them in reckless manner. They are a great tool and account for a lot of fisher, coons and 'cats. So lets use them while we can.

#25407 - 10/17/17 12:36 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? [Re: coon killer]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.