Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17262 - 04/23/06 08:02 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Reread my post, boys. I think you missed my point entirely.

BTW: I can set ANY BG on the ground. I can even do it right on the edge of your property. It can be on the other side of your fence in your backyard.

That doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to do it in such a location. I do set 330's and 280 mag's for lynx. These would be a dog owners nightmare. But I don't set them in area where I say "To heck with any dog." Too often dogs come with kids. If you want 50 anti's created in a few minutes catch a kid's dog. If you want huge headlines catch a kid that's wondering what that "square thing" is.

Once again, I suggest you reread my original post. Then, perhaps, CK will start a new thread like "Safe/proper placement of 220's on the ground."

#17263 - 04/23/06 08:39 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Trapper Joe Offline

Loc: New brunswick
Sure Musher, just because it is legal does not mean it makes good sense to set it there. Any trapper should avoid areas where people walk their dogs for instance. We always have to think of the possibility of losing trapping rights due to abusing the rights we currently have.

Around here, setting conibears on the ground for coon and fisher are important for most trappers. I would hate to lose the right to do that.

#17264 - 04/23/06 09:12 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
K. Sullivan Offline

Loc: Northern Ohio
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

#17265 - 04/23/06 09:58 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Coon Killer you are right,Musher's posts stay.

As for Mr.Otter being scared of setting a BG trap I don't think so.He is aware that an unfortunent catch in one may affect trappers as whole in a very negative manner though.

There are times when I discourage people from doing things that are perfectly legal.Just because something is legal sure doesn't mean it is ethical,lawyers come to mind(sorry Jim).

Large bodygrip traps on land are one of them.I've said it before and I'll say it again the only time I would accept the use of these traps(280/330) on land would be in the remotest areas by experienced and conscientious trappers,period.

220's? Honestly I'm not for there use on land either,but I'm not going to camp out on the capital steps unless they try to legalise them in my home state.Bodygrip traps are a water trap to me that is where I use them.I can keep myself plenty busy with footholds and a few snares on land.

Take heed of Kevins quote.Very apporpriate in this instance and lets watch the tone or this will come to an abrupt halt.

Trapper Joe,Remember there is a totally different mind set concerning the use of lethal devices in the U.S. compared to Canada.

#17266 - 04/23/06 10:15 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
offshoretrash Offline

Loc: farmerville,la
ric i totaly agree i would never set were i even thought i would catch someone pet or hunting dog thats common sense. i wouldn't even set a steel trap were i thought i would catch someones pet i am not that greedy that i have to take that chance.

but if i am down in a creek bottom several miles away from any homes on land were i know there shouldn't be any pets or hunting dogs i am gonna set my conibears.

were i trapped last year and were i plan on trapping this year i didn't see the first domestic track cat or dog

#17267 - 04/23/06 10:41 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
coon killer Offline

Loc: mn
once again i echo offshore and i agree with u ric ... if im in a spot that im 100% sure i will not get a pet i will set. musher ic your point and i do agree with a few points of yours. u dont want to lose your rights as a trapper and i respect that. but we as trappers need to take a look in full of where , how , when we set. and looking over the wildlife , pets and people.

#17268 - 05/03/06 10:26 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
kingcooner Offline

Loc: Verona, New York
i myself have a hunting dog, (redbone COONHOUND).when you release your dog, who knows where the thing is going to go. you dont know if the dog is going to tree 2-3 miles away. and the last thing i feel like doing is walking around the woods looking for a dog that is in the trap that some irresponseable trapper placed in a trail or at the base of a tree or something.If you worked hard to to buy all your traps and the next time you went and checked your traps, they were all gone, i think you would be pretty ticked. The same thing goes for a great dog. I wouldn't feel like wasting a $4,000 dog.

#17269 - 05/03/06 11:35 AM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Kingcooner, I am surprised that your occupation is trapping with that post. I guess I am and probably a lot of other trappers on here irresponsible, because those of us who can use these type of traps have probably put them in trails and at the base of trees. After all the idea is to put them on location. I can honestly say I have never caught a dog in a bg, and will not use this trap if I think there is even a remote chance of a dog there, however how can anyone know where a dog is going to end up. Most land I trap I can use these and do at most although some are too risky and I don't set these. Are you ticked at the person who has permission on this land to legally trap? or ticked at the fact of a dog was caught. I could understand the second one but not the first. My boys also have a redbone and he is a great dog. he is scared of nothing and can run like the wind. All this for only 200$. Now we all have had traps lifted and this ticks you off at the scum who done it even though you don't know who. I know there are people who use these traps carelessly and will probably be part of the reason they try to put them out of use. The way you made it sound though is anyone who uses these in trails or at the base of trees are irresponsible. Trails are the places where these traps work great, and rogue trees can be great spots too. I'm sure most trappers out there don't want to catch anyones dog even if they have permission to trap on this land but you or your dog don't have permiision to hunt.

#17270 - 05/03/06 12:18 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
This is not going to turn into a dog man, trapper arguement.

#17271 - 05/03/06 11:37 PM Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground?
Talachulitna Jim Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Ric, I once heard a rumor of an ethical lawyer, but it could not be confirmed. :-)

When I was in high school and college I trapped in central Ohio. Trapping season largely coincided with hunting season, and lots of guys hunted with dogs. It would not have been safe or ethical, even if it had been legal, to use a 330 or 220 on land in any of the places I trapped.

Up here, it's legal to use 330s on land wherever it's legal to trap. But the consequence of a few trappers not using common sense has been the loss of trapping entirely in the Anchorage area.

Incidentally, I recall a couple incidents where a dog killed in a 330 made the local news. In both cases, the trap was set where it was illegal to trap at all. So another law (prohibiting 330s) wouldn't have made a difference.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.