Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Land Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1728 - 09/05/13 02:05 AM Peat Moss: pros, cons, and tips.
ShaneT Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Those with experience bedding traps with peat moss: What are the pros and cons you have found with using it? Can ya'll give me any tips on using it effectivly?

#1729 - 09/05/13 12:25 PM Re: Peat Moss: pros, cons, and tips.
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
The pros are that it is easy to obtain, light to carry and fairly effective. The cons are that it isn't bullet proof and trap bedding can be a challenge.

The best tip is to make the trap bed only as large as you need.

#1730 - 09/05/13 12:28 PM Re: Peat Moss: pros, cons, and tips.
K-zoo Offline

Loc: Otsego,MI
Make sure your peat moss is dry. I always sift it, (some don't) and spread it on a tarp to dry. Mix it and turn it over several times to be sure it is completely dry. I store mine in 5 gal. buckets with lids. Line your trap bed with a handful, bed trap, cover with more peat. Finish with a final layer of dirt to cover peat, and to keep it from blowing away. Sometimes the top layer of dirt might crust over slightly, but with the peat underneath, I've never had a trap fail to fire. Keep working with it until you find a way that works best for you. Does it get cold enough in Louisiana to warrant using peat moss?

#1731 - 09/05/13 05:23 PM Re: Peat Moss: pros, cons, and tips.
ShaneT Offline

No we don't have a bunch of freezing temps but we have very wet weather on average during winter. The wet weather combined with our gumbo and buckshot mud will sure foul up a trap. I had several occasions last year where I had paw prints right where I wanted them and the traps didnt fire because the dirt the trap was bedded in got wet, turned to mud and seeped under the pan and then hardened around the trap as it dried stopping the pan from falling.

#1732 - 09/05/13 08:03 PM Re: Peat Moss: pros, cons, and tips.
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Gumbo I know.. Buckshot Mud ?

#1733 - 09/05/13 10:44 PM Re: Peat Moss: pros, cons, and tips.
ShaneT Offline

Lol. May be a local term. When it dries up it forms little clods about the size of 00 buckshot.

#1734 - 09/08/13 03:05 AM Re: Peat Moss: pros, cons, and tips.
Lekywadrtrapr Offline

Loc: PA
I have had the same type of problems early season. Not so much freeze down but mud under pans after a down pour. Last year I used either cotton or wool pieces under pan in the areas prone to this. Seemed to all but eliminate the problem.
Also noticed this year in some of the catalogs there were precut Styrofoam pads to slide in there.
This might help you even more than bedding material if your not worried about freezing.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.