Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17349 - 05/16/06 09:51 PM Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
hoosierhunter Offline

Loc: Indiana
i was starting to think it's a good idea to trap in a circle around my house without using a vehicle for a simi-longline. So would this you think be a money maker or would this be backbreaking work the only time i would use a vehicle is to sell what pelts i have for the week. so tell me what you guys think.

#17350 - 05/16/06 11:44 PM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
trap_paq Offline

Loc: Ms.,Tn. line
it would all be what you would call simi-longline you really did not say how long that would be anything over 5 miles i don't think you could make it to the end in a day if you have catches and had to reset.and remember to you have to tote for new sets and to do your resets i would say at least a atv

#17351 - 05/31/06 08:37 PM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
avidhunter Offline

Loc: Traverse City, Michigan
trapping=moneymaker?? I'm confused. JJ:)

#17352 - 06/01/06 09:51 AM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
donwh Offline

Loc: Missouri
In my own personal trapping evolution I've found being more efficient with my limited time has been more sucessful for me. I can spend the money in gas to check more set and access more prime areas which in turn equals more fur and more time to process the fur equals more money in the long run. If I were to only trap areas that I could walk to from my home the time spent walking and working at packing in traps and out catches would not be verry efficient for me.
More Time + More Traps + Prime Areas - gas money spent = more overall catches and money (at least it does for me)
I think what your asking is a great workout program but in my own experience it doesn't seem that lucrative.
Good luck
don

#17353 - 06/15/06 08:47 PM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
SUPERGOOSE Offline

Loc: Michigan
That's a lot of stuff to carry - especially if you make a few catches. Coon, yotes etc. How about a small vehicle or atv?

#17354 - 06/16/06 05:52 AM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I ran a line such as you are talking about when I moved to where I live now.I wanted to learn more about my new surroundings. There is no better way to learn an area than running a mixed line by foot.
As far as doing it for profit .It may not be monateraily profitable but the knowlege you will pick up will be (in my opinion) invauable. Also you will have to punch new holes in your belt I know I did . One of the best seasons I ever had! as far as enjoyment!!! (JUST DO IT) smile

#17355 - 06/24/06 08:42 PM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I have a buddy over in the next county, that walked his line, years ago. Deed-honest it was 8or 9 miles long. He's one of the best water trappers i've ever met. he had 2 or 3 places on the line where he skinned. i know him well enough to write a story about the man, he's going downhill now. need to stop and get some pics. really neat guy. need to get off my butt and spend some time with him, before it's too late. frown

#17356 - 06/25/06 01:31 PM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
This is a good topic, but the focus is too limited. Backbreaker or money maker?

Walking a trapline is certainly a good healthy activity. It will make you tired, but it’s not “back breaking”. The problem is, you just can't cover much ground. However, you can learn vastly more about the critters by a walking trapline than you can by any other means.

I suspect almost every beginning trapper starts out with a walking trapline, and that’s a good thing because it really heightens your learning curve. But by the time you gain some proficiency, and if you really want to try to make a little income from trapping, you are going to need more territory than you can cover on foot.

But just because a walking trapline doesn’t pay in fur, it still has value in exercise and recreation. You don’t have to be a “long linger” to be a trapper.

smile -- Hal

#17357 - 06/27/06 06:15 AM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
Ron Marsh Offline

Loc: Oil City PA
I had a 7 mile walking line one year. The wife and I drove to one end of the line parked the truck, She took me to the other end of the line and dropped me off. I didn't catch much but I had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

Go for it, you will talk about it for a long time.
Ron

#17358 - 06/28/06 09:06 PM Re: Walking a trapline -- money maker or backbreaker
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
I agree with Ron Marsh, if you walk a line, you'll remenber it for a long time. Barth Sites, from Petersburg, WV, was/is a top-notch water trapper. PERIOD. i've trapped the same areas, the water has changed, rats are few, today. Barth, lives on Lunice Creek, and would trap down the creek to the river (South Branch of the Potomac), up Spring Run, across the hump, and then hit the creek coming out of the Petersburg trout Hatchery, and walk across the bridge back home. all on a 24 hour check, he has lots of memories... well earned memories. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.