Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Trap Care and Preparation Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1749 - 11/07/13 01:43 PM Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
ShaneT Offline

Loc: Louisiana
For those that have tried it, what did you use to thin the paint and at what ratio did you thin. I have about a dozen bodygrips that I have yet to treat and wanted to giventhe rustoleum a try to see how it performs over the product I have been using.

#1750 - 12/23/13 11:58 PM Re: Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
trapnjon Offline

Loc: North Carolina
50-50 with Acetone

#1751 - 12/24/13 02:36 AM Re: Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
hunkyboy Offline

Loc: PA
How do you keep the triggers and dogs from setting up once the paint dries? Do you work them back and forth as it dries or what? I have a few 110's that i have dyed and waxed. I love using then. They aren't real user friendly for my young son though. They are fast to snap.

#1752 - 12/24/13 02:13 PM Re: Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
The paint should not be so thick as to gum up those parts. When I dip traps, I put a piece of tape around the jaw where the dog latches. Then I remove it to expose the clean spot where I can latch the dog. I clean the dog notch with a chainsaw file. -- Hal

#1753 - 04/10/14 01:04 AM Re: Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
michaelp7318 Offline

Loc: TN
I first logwood dye my traps, let them dry for day or so. I then dip them in rustoleum. The mixture is 1qt rusty metal primer, 1 qt flat black, 2 qts acetone (keep plenty on hand it evaporates fast). One dip is all that is needed. the traps come out deep chocolate brown, i then use a light spray coat of a color that closely matches leaves or grass in the area. This is more for hiding the traps from other people than from the animals. I use milar stencils of marsh grass or leaves to break up the outline of the traps.

#1754 - 04/10/14 01:23 AM Re: Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
michaelp7318 Offline

Forgot, let the dipped traps dry completly before the light coat of spray paint. I do this for all my water traps. I trap on public land, I am the only trapper on this land,but there are a lot of kayakers using the river, most of my trapping is done along the river front

#1755 - 04/10/14 11:49 AM Re: Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
If that doesn't work out well for you. Consider using a red oxide primer instead of the dip. It will bond to the steel better than trap dip. Giving you a better base for your art work

#1756 - 04/10/14 12:16 PM Re: Dipping bodygrips in Rustoleum.
michaelp7318 Offline

The dip I referred to is rustoleum rusty metal primer mixed with flat black and acetone. I should have worded it dipped in paint mixture and then allowed to fully dry before using the spray paint. All paints are oil based. The paint holds up pretty good. Hope this helps

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.