Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1780 - 07/28/14 11:34 PM Glycerine
Richard2 Offline

Loc: TN
Last season was my first season trapping and I experienced several times of -3 to - 7 nights. I had my supplies/equipment in an unheated trailer, all my urines & oils froze. I am now very interested in a remedy for that.
Glycerine -
Food grade 99.7% pure glycerine freezes at 62.6 F.
The best mixture of glycerine and water freezes at -51.7 F.
Every mixture of glycerine to water I can find is by weight, water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon, glycerine is 10.52 lbs per gallon.
1) how to determine how much glycerine to water to use, I'm not near enough educated to do this.
2) Does anybody know what the solution commonly bought from trapping supply houses is? Any experience with these solutions in subzero weather?
I'm wanting to freeze proof my meat baits for canines which will cut in chunks 1/2 to 1 inch squares.
Thanks, Richard

#1781 - 07/29/14 06:43 AM Re: Glycerine
jbell Offline

Loc: Mason, Illinois
I mix half urine and half propelyne(sp?) glycol to keep the urine from freezing. I've never had any problems with that mixture. I've never used glycerine for that purpose.

#1782 - 07/29/14 08:23 AM Re: Glycerine
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Salt.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.